How much veggies is TOO MUCH veggies!?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Never to many veggies!!! I am a Vegetarian...And 80% of My diet is RAW Fresh Veggies and Fruit. What you just described is actually the New Standard American Diet. You are eating right, I guess for you. It is not excessive, I say dump the salmon and increase the broccoli (Great Protein source) and eat a whole baked sweet potato, even add a green salad.

ETA: STILL do not understand why people have NOT educated themselves to the FACT that Veggies are the BEST sources of PROTEIN and Calcium, and NUTS and Seeds are the Best sources of Omega 3/6/9 fats and fats generally. But then a lot of so called Vegetarians eat a bunch of FAKE food of refined carbs and so called protein; Vegetarians who hate veggies, Yeah!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You probably could overdose on certain vitamins, but the amount of veggies you'd have to eat to do so would be far beyond what you're taking about here. In other words, eat up!

Indeed. Fat-soluble vitamins such as Vit. A need to be consumed with some sort of lipid in order to do your body any good, and they will cause problems if you eat too much of them. Eating too many carrots can turn you yellow :) (for real)

45325.jpg
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting at least 1200 calories in the day, go crazy on the veggies.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Spinach will turn you into Popeye. Other than that you're good.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you have 3 or more of these symptoms, then you are eating too many veggies:

1) Tolerance, as defined by either of the following: (a) A need for markedly increased amounts of veggies to achieve the desired effect or (b) Markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of veggies.

2) Withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following: (a) The characteristic withdrawal syndrome for veggies or (b) The same (or closely related) veggie is taken to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms.

3) Veggies are often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than intended.

4) There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control veggie intake.

5) A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain veggies, eat veggies, or recover from veggies.

6) Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of veggie eating.

7) Veggie eating is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by veggies.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of vegetables, and honestly, I've never felt better. My body thanks me.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    No such thing.

To be clear though, your potato does NOT count as a vegetable, for nutritional purposes. It is a starchy food and therefore counts as a starchy carb, more like grains, like pasta, rice or bread.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It's not impossible but it's highly improbable.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You probably could overdose on certain vitamins, but the amount of veggies you'd have to eat to do so would be far beyond what you're taking about here. In other words, eat up!

Indeed. Fat-soluble vitamins such as Vit. A need to be consumed with some sort of lipid in order to do your body any good, and they will cause problems if you eat too much of them. Eating too many carrots can turn you yellow :) (for real)

45325.jpg

Bravo, you win this thread!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    The recommended intake of vegetables if you are an adult man is 3 cups through age 50 and 2 1/2 cups after age 50. If you are a woman, you need 2 1/2 cups of vegetables daily through age 50 and 2 cups after age 50

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/351388-recommended-fruit-and-vegetable-intake/#ixzz2Sp2ZME8G
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    As to the OP ditching the salmon in favor of broccoli as a "great source of protein", according to the database the OP's 4oz. of salmon has about 16 grams of protein as compared with 2 grams of protein in a cup of broccoli. A person would have to eat 8 cups of broccoli to get the same amount of protein that salmon had. FYI, she would need to eat about 2 cups of Quinoa or a full cup of lentils to get the protein in that little piece of salmon. (Broccoli has many other good nutrients and it tasty too, but protein - not so much.)

While vegetarian and vegan eating can be very healthy and have loads of protein (note the amounts in food like lentils and quinoa), the OP's choice of a piece of fish was a really good one. I think she should be given credit for choosing a balanced nutritious meal.

I think her confusion probably stems from our society's tendency to think that a single lettuce leaf or a tablespoon of ketchup(!!!) constitutes a vegetable serving. Note too that the 2 and 2 1/2 cups daily amounts mentioned above are intended to be a minimum.
  • koshkasmum
    Options
    P.S. IF you eat more than 3 good sized carrots per day every day you could begin to develop caroteinemia (getting an orange tint to your skin) The condition looks odd but is harmless and easily treated - eat only 2 carrots per day!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If you find the one person in the history of mankind who got fat and sick and wrecked their fitness and health from eating too many vegetables.... please let the scientists know as they will want to study this creature! :laugh:

(Seriously, the number of threads on this site questioning the age-old wisdom of eating lots of fruits and vegetables... is making my head hurt.)

Here's one. Already studied, though ...

Tallquist H., Väänanen I.. Death of a child from oxalic acid poisoning due to eating of rhubarb leaves. Ann Paediatr Fenn 1960
  • koshkasmum
    Options
    Stealthq, rhubarb leaves are not a vegetable - they are poison. You don't read anywhere near enough murder mysteries.......
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as too much veggies...unless you rupture your stomach, of course.
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options

1) Tolerance, as defined by either of the following: (a) A need for markedly increased amounts of veggies to achieve the desired effect or (b) Markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of veggies.

2) Withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following: (a) The characteristic withdrawal syndrome for veggies or (b) The same (or closely related) veggie is taken to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms.

3) Veggies are often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than intended.

4) There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control veggie intake.

5) A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain veggies, eat veggies, or recover from veggies.

6) Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of veggie eating.

7) Veggie eating is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by veggies.

Spat my morning coffee on the keys BRILLIANT :laugh:
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    OK, so I got to where I would get a bag of carrots and munch on the way home from work. They're not onion chips, which used to be my destressor. First, if one munches a pound of carrots it will create a clot of pain about 18 hours later as it processes all that roughage. Second, you really can overdose on carrot juice. Some vitamins don't go through the liver adequately in large amounts. I am at no risk of OD but I have learned to mix the munchy carrots with some munchy broccoli or even a yum cucumber. Road food never tasted so good.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Spat my morning coffee on the keys BRILLIANT :laugh:

:laugh:

I'm really happy someone got it. I was getting pretty disappointed with myself. It felt really good when I posted it ;)