Training like an athlete but results like a couch potato!

Options

Replies

• Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone,

You need to up your protein intake to maintain them while you're on your diet.
    Easiest protein sources would be Whey protein or Soy protein powder.
    Also, you seem to eat way below your daily calories recommended, try hitting the numbers it might help.
    For all the rest of your supplements you're taking, they're useless unless you're seriously thinking of gaining mass. If you just want to have a toned look, training/diet/rest/carbs/cals/proteins is all you need.
    One last note, again like most said, up your fat! olive oil, coconut oil, Peanut butter or avocado.

And like some of the users said, your training is very very much for beginners, which is fine. I wouldn't define that as "training like an athlete"

Good luck!
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Heres a link to the latest IPOARM (In place of a road map):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Okay first off...those supplements. Raspberry ketones, green tea pills and african mango are all a waste of money. You're better off drinking green tea and even then, the benefits of green tea comes when taken in large amounts. Even then the effect is disputable.

I was a religious user of L carnitine, glutamina, and CLA for awhile. Basically, unless you're anemic or lift heavy glutamine will not help you. Most use it for faster muscle recovery, though I've not found that to be the result. I'd check out the latest studies on CLA..they'll basically tell you it's lack of use and even broscience has abandoned it for the most part. If anything, it can help maintain a certain bodyfat rather than give you results.

Basically, all these supplements may have benefits, I'm not denying that. However, they are by no means your ticket to achieving long term weight loss, as there are so many variables. I'd focus more on your nutrition (from actual food) rather than wasting your money.

9 pounds in a month is nothing to laugh at. However, you may be plateauing so it's too soon to tell. I'd change up your workout routine, as your body may be accustomed to the type of activity and intensity. Though I avoid cardio like the plague and just lift, HIIT is always a good cardio option to kickstart things. Also, check your macro's as well, often vegetarians err on the side of carb heavy diets rather than protein and fat.

WOOOO! Thank you!

And yes, I'm taking the amino and glutamine solely for faster muscle restoration NOT for weight loss. I have mild scolisios with a rib that gets dislodged when my muscles become fatigued so I started that to restore my muscles faster to prevent any dislodging. :embarassed:

I do believe I am at a plateau I've been at 143.5 since the 12th of April. I really do limit my carb intake. I am started today to change my workout routine to more cardio. Why do you avoid cardio?

I mostly avoid cardio because I generally dislike it :laugh: The only form I do is kickboxing, which I've taken on as a hobby rather than part of my exercise routine.

Also, for me personally cardio didn't give me weight loss results. I was still maintaining my weight while doing 2 hours of cardio. I switched to heavy lifting and lost 50 pounds.

Everyone's weight loss is different, however. There are plenty of people who lose consistently with cardio, I just wasn't one of them. Keep at it and you'll see results, good luck!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    First of all, birth control can result in hormone changes which can result in fat storage/weight gain/excess water weight. A person on BC doesn't necessarily gain because of increased intake. And BC like Seasonale can lead to a lot of hormonal changes in the body, as you are basically telling your body not to have normal cycles. That's kind of a big deal.

Second, weight loss isn't linear. You may lose more one month than the next. That's normal - it happens to all of us.

Third, your workout routine is pretty standard. There's nothing wrong with it, but don't think that you should be getting Olympic level results from it either.

Fourth, all of your supplements are useless. The juice fast is also useless. None of these things have been scientifically proven to promote weight loss. You don't need to take them. You don't need to juice fast.

And for my last point - popcorn isn't unhealthy. It's fine in moderation.

Have a good day!

One last point - you need fat in your diet. Fat is good for you. Fat helps your brain and organs function. Fat won't make you fat.

This is the best advice you've gotten. Stop with the supplements. If you aren't getting enough Omega-3 from food, then keep it (you probably are, though) because it won't do any harm. The other stuff harms your wallet.

Your weight loss is fast if anything, and you're not training like an athlete. You're training like a normal person.

Also, don't be so angry. Your posts come across as angry. Anger causes stress, stress releases cortisol, and that inhibits results.
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    GREAT!!! I'm very pleased with everyone's input. Thank you again!! :)
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You should embrace avocados. They'll get you a lot of healthy fat.

Generally, when you're buying products that are "low fat" they are replacing the fat with sodium or sugar or a combination of both just to keep the flavor profile palatable. You'll be so happy when you embrace having smaller portions of full fat products, even ice cream.

As far as protein, you might want to try some beans as well. Especially if you're a vegetarian.
  • Kpablo
    Options
    First of all, birth control can result in hormone changes which can result in fat storage/weight gain/excess water weight. A person on BC doesn't necessarily gain because of increased intake. And BC like Seasonale can lead to a lot of hormonal changes in the body, as you are basically telling your body not to have normal cycles. That's kind of a big deal.

Second, weight loss isn't linear. You may lose more one month than the next. That's normal - it happens to all of us.

Third, your workout routine is pretty standard. There's nothing wrong with it, but don't think that you should be getting Olympic level results from it either.

Fourth, all of your supplements are useless. The juice fast is also useless. None of these things have been scientifically proven to promote weight loss. You don't need to take them. You don't need to juice fast.

And for my last point - popcorn isn't unhealthy. It's fine in moderation.

Have a good day!

One last point - you need fat in your diet. Fat is good for you. Fat helps your brain and organs function. Fat won't make you fat.

This is the best advice you've gotten. Stop with the supplements. If you aren't getting enough Omega-3 from food, then keep it (you probably are, though) because it won't do any harm. The other stuff harms your wallet.

Your weight loss is fast if anything, and you're not training like an athlete. You're training like a normal person.

Also, don't be so angry. Your posts come across as angry. Anger causes stress, stress releases cortisol, and that inhibits results.

o.O sorry if I came off angry...anything but. I just dislike rude arrogant comments such as the first and second poster. Serves no purpose.

Buying some nuts and beans now :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    o.O sorry if I came off angry...anything but. I just dislike rude arrogant comments such as the first and second poster. Serves no purpose.

Buying some nuts and beans now :)

and hang around the forums, there are plenty of schmucks you could sell all of those green tea / keytone supplements to.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    OP, you are eating less than you could legally feed your toddler without facing child abuse charges. You need to do the research to find out how much you should be eating. I understand you don't want to overeat and get fat, but there is a point of diminishing return if you eat too little. Call it the "goldilocks factor" -- its just as counterproductive to your weight loss goals to eat too little as to eat too much, you need to find the amount that is "just right" for you. And its way higher than you think it is.

Find your TDEE, and eat no less than 10% below. And ensure that you accurately account for exercise calories!! With a small amount to lose, there is a narrow window of opportunity for you between your maintenance (TDEE) and the cut below it that will be effective.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    1) You are not training like an athlete...

2) You are a vegetarian who wants to eat low carb, low fat? What is left? Seriously, no wonder you can only get to 1,000 calories a day. Vegetables are almost all carbs and non-meat protein sources usually are high in fat :noway:

I am an athlete (amateur, not professional), and I do train like an athlete, and I eat a lot more than you do, but I don't take any of those supplements. I eat food.

You think losing 9 pounds in a month is "results like a couch potato"? Maybe rein in your goals and expectations to a more realistic level.
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I did not read through this entire thread, I'm just checking in to share my main sources of vegetarian protein:

Eggs (yolk-in helps me stay satisfied longer with fewer calories)
    Baked tofu (you said gross, but try marinating it or buy the pre-marinated baked tofu)
    Edamame
    Beans. I have beans 1 or 2 meals a day.
    Vegetables and mushrooms.
    Whole grains and quinoa.
    Silken tofu smoothies (the tofu makes a creamy base for the smoothie, you can't taste it).
    Tempeh and seitan

I don't believe you need as much protein as many people suggest, but I don't wish to get into a debate - to each their own. I aim for 80g/day, I weigh 164 now and my goal is 145.

Good luck reaching your goal! Your dedication to exercise is awesome.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Athletes fuel their workouts; they FEED MUSCLE TO BURN FAT... if the last 3 days of your diary is an indication of how you eat all the time; your deficits are WAY too low. You are not eating enough.... and maybe that should be a starting point for you. Figure out your numbers and start eating at TDEE - 15%

Then post in 6 weeks and you will be telling us about your results! Good luck with this!
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Your body is dealing with regulating harmones , intense workouts, and fasting it maybe freaking out just relax alittle eat good and keep working out the 3 week period is a sign of harmonal in balance that cause weight issues I have had them myself. Also careful that you don't burn out your adrenals with all the exercise and diet fasting.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

And yes, I concur with you I have not been eating enough protein however since I'm vegetarian it's difficult to find a form that isn't high in fat such as nuts and seeds. There for if you have a protein suggestion (besides tofu GROSS) please let me know.

Lentils(35g serving)~ 80 Calories, fat 0, carbs 20g, protein10g
    Quinoa(46g serving)~ 170 Calories, fat 2.5g, carbs 30g, protein 7g
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    use this calculator:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

imo:
    for #5: pick 5-6 hours / strenuous.
    for #6 select 15%/weight loss. 20% at the absolute max, but really, 15%.
    for #8, they're all pretty similar. go with Mifflin (based on other threads i've read)
    leave calibration factor empty.

if you know your body fat%, enter it.

Scroll down for 3 numbers:

1) BMR - how many calories you'd burn if you were in a hospital bed all day
    2) TDEE - how many calories you need to maintain weight, based on your chosen activity level, etc.
    3) Goal Calories - based on that 15% reduction you entered earlier, this is how you actually lose weight.

And... now you have a number. Is it right? Depends on your body. But it's a start. If you are ridiculously good at keeping to that exact goal, you could then use the calibration factor after a month to get even more personalized results, but i can't imagine anyone being that exact. So... just use it as a guide. If you're losing about the amount of weight per month (not per week, too short to tell) you want, you're on the right track.

i found i was eating at least 500 calories less than i should be.

Re: Supplements. They are worth the money if they help you get through your exercise as placebos and if you don't mind if they might not have any actual effect. Some might. Some certainly don't. But if the action of taking them gets your head straight, then imo they're worth the money. Once you get into your routine and are sticking to a diet/exercise regime phase them out. I think some things, like electrolyte replacement, are definitely important. But 'fad' chemicals/natural ingredients are far less likely to actually be anything.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    And yes, I concur with you I have not been eating enough protein however since I'm vegetarian it's difficult to find a form that isn't high in fat such as nuts and seeds. There for if you have a protein suggestion (besides tofu GROSS) please let me know.

Eat the fat. Fat doesn't make you fat

Really? Should I watch the amount at all or eat as much as I need to have my protein intake and the right place? I was told to keep my fat content at 10%. That's like 1 tablespoon of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Olive Oil Spread) :noway:

10% is really quite low for your daily fat intake, especially because you're a girl. I've read a handful of studies (which of course, I now am having an impossible time trying to find a quote - nice job, self) That when women diet they shouldn't drop their fat intake too low (but healthy fats of course, nuts, avocados, the works) You know that really cranky streak we can get when we diet? It helps curb that A TON. I have found, and this is just my personal experience, by keeping my protein and fat %'s high, and my carb % lower I stay fuller much longer and function mush happier. My "female body functions" are also much more sane and regular (since you said you're experiencing some annoyances there). Hope that helps, of only just a little
  • jeepcj5
    jeepcj5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing wonderful and I completely understand your frustration! I'm one of those people that seriously has to work off the weight, pound by pound. I cut out sugar (except for the occasional treat), dairy, wheat and I eat lots of protein and healthy fat and will lose like a pound a month. Also like you I also have a hard time getting in all my calories for the day which is usually because I'm a night person and enjoy snacking at night but since I'm trying to lose weight I don't eat past 7PM.

My best advice is ask your personal trainer to do some heavy lifting with you. Things like dead lifts, overhead lunges, overhead squats, back squats, front squats, push ups, burpees, and kettle bells swings. For cardio box jumps are amazing and so is jump roping. This is how I lost all my baby weight (70 pounds) with my first son and trust me I tried everything! I also like to run but I know from past experience you can spend 60 mins running and feel great but not get the results you want unless you really spend time lifting and lifting heavy 5 days a week! I also see a lot of people are telling you to eat more healthy fats- personally I love coconut oil for just about everything! I put it in my coffee/tea, I cook with it everyday, I use for my skin, my hair and even as a diaper rash cream for my 3 month old baby. The benefits are endless! Don’t give up and ignore all the rude comments, you need to figure out what works best for you and your body. Remember to be patient it took me over a year to find my style of working out and to choose a diet that worked for me, my lifestyle and budget. It took me a year and half to lose all the weight and get into the shape that I wanted. I would love to have you add me as a friend, right now I’m starting over since I just had my second child 3 months and always need encouragement! Best of luck!
  • cton13
    cton13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ok..... this is a very exciting post.... not to mention some of the testy comments from earlier...but hey each one had really solid advice.... weight loss is a very emotional ( happiness, sadness, etc etc and blah) so each person will have their own take on it... so when you ask for advice.... you just have to take the good with the bad and use what is useful and what is not and be a good sport about it... which you are!

Ok... I have hit this issue myself... I am a kickboxing/step aerobic instructor.... At one point I was teaching everyday and twice daily on Tuesdays in addition to my home 4am workouts.... Everyweek...like clock work.... started learning how to eat fairly clean.... bam dropped 23lbs.... over a span of time..... ( I think 6mths)

Then... I got comfortable... I was like (listening to others) as much as I work out I should be able to eat what I want.... so I did... still kept my workouts tough....but then the weight started creeping back on and when I taught class I felt... like I could not do things like I used to.... I gained 13lbs of the the 23 back... WTF!!!!!!!!

So today, as I read your post it helped me and it just dawned on me like a lightening bolt.....ding ding DIET is 80% and exercise is 20%.... even though we hear and hear this it never seems to really STICK.

Ok so how can this long drawn out sapp story help you... lol.... It is really good that you are vegetarian..... however, you do need to make sure you consume the right amount of cals from the right foods each day.... Your body needs no lower than 1200-1300 when in deficit for weight loss... make sure even if you are within your cals that everything else is within gauge as well.... sodium, sugar, etc.... sometimes we get so caught up in making sure we are within our caloric range we don't pay attention to how much fat or sugar we consumed in that day.....EVERYTHING COUNTS! You should boost your protein intake(Can you use protein shakes? I think they make a vegan kind).... One good multivitamin is all you need.... I do use b12 to help with my anemia.... however the other stuff is just a waste..... literally your body pees out excess vitamins anyway.... but if you have money to pee away... go girl :):) (smile just joking)
    This is a battle and we have to stick together as a community and help each other..... Good sound nutrition and good exercise is awesome...so give yourself a pat on the back for being a working mother who is working out!!! Awesome job! Count the milestones you have already and make adjustments as you go to get better!
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice on here. Just a couple of additional thoughts:

1- as many others have said, you really should raise your fat and protein intake. In as much as many foods higher in fat and protein are also higher in calories, focusing on that could likely go a long way to also raising your total calorie intake (as more calorie-dense foods will get you more calories with less volume, and it's volume that fills you up).

2- weight loss really comes down to a simple formula - burn more than you eat on a consistent basis without going too far, and you'll loose weight. Eat too little (which it appears you are), and your body will slow its metabolism and hoard anything it can turn into fat, making you gain or maintain weight even while eating at a deficit.

In your case, you're adding multiple complications. Vegetarian, a new birth control program, coming off of a juice fast, and a huge list of supplements of questionable value. There's so many variables that could be relevant it's hard to narrow things down. For example, doing the juice fast, you're likely to lose a lot of water weight, which will be put back on when you return to a normal diet. So, part of your "plateau" may actually be losing of weight in reality, but offset by a return to normal hydration levels, thus hiding some real weight loss. Likewise, as your body adjusts to the birth control, your hormones will cause varied reactions. That alone would be cause for not worrying too much in the short term.

Do the supplements help with your rib problem? Have you actually tried with and without just the ones for that issue? Given the nature of core muscles, recovery isn't usually an issue for them, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's not much help coming from them. There are just so many on your list it's bewildering, and something there may be part of the issue...

3- in addition to eating more fat, you might want to consider what types of fat you're eating. You mentioned in one of your responses your tiny 10% fat being like one spoon of "I can't believe it's not butter" spread, and your diary lists another olive oil spread. Hydrogenated fats, aka trans-fats. Since you're not vegan (at least, you're eating dairy and eggs in your diary), I would suggest replacing the butter replacements with butter. It'll taste better, has healthier fats, and the higher total fat content will be good for you. Another good choice would be coconut oil (which is solid and spreadable at room temperature, just like your spreads). As someone else mentioned, avocados might be a good choice for you (though I hate them...). As for protein, you already said you were buying some beans and such. You might also try quinoa. It's a complete protein, rare in the grain world. And you're already eating eggs, so eat more (and I'd suggest whole eggs for you, at least at this point - there's not much to be gained in just egg whites.

4- you're eating a lot of nutritionally-dense, but low calorie foods, which is what most of us struggle to do. But you also need to flat out eat more calories. You probably have all your micronutrients well beyond supplied. Indulge a bit in something calorie-dense. Have a cookie, or a brownie, or a bowl of ice cream!

5- I disagree with some of the other posters about you not training like an athlete - at least in terms of exercise time. Many age-group amature triathletes who focus on sprint-distance triathlons train under 300 hours a year, and what you describe is well above that mark. But, what an athlete does do differently is train with a goal in mind and a periodization plan. If you're very consistent in your workouts (especially anything cardio/endurance-targeted), your body will adapt to that level and type of activity, and you'd get diminishing returns. You might consider speaking with the trainer you're working with about setting up a periodization plan, to break things up, give periodic recovery weeks, etc. Periodically working out less provides a chance for your body to adjust, then you can work out that much harder in the next chunk (remember, it's not when you work out hard that your fitness improves, but rather when you rest after working out hard). Or, maybe, choose an event to work towards, a plan to train for it, and actually -train-for it (as opposed to merely exercising). It will make your gym time more meaningful and enjoyable, and may help break your plateau.
  • Kpablo
    Options
    use this calculator:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

imo:
    for #5: pick 5-6 hours / strenuous.
    for #6 select 15%/weight loss. 20% at the absolute max, but really, 15%.
    for #8, they're all pretty similar. go with Mifflin (based on other threads i've read)
    leave calibration factor empty.

if you know your body fat%, enter it.

Scroll down for 3 numbers:

1) BMR - how many calories you'd burn if you were in a hospital bed all day
    2) TDEE - how many calories you need to maintain weight, based on your chosen activity level, etc.
    3) Goal Calories - based on that 15% reduction you entered earlier, this is how you actually lose weight.

And... now you have a number. Is it right? Depends on your body. But it's a start. If you are ridiculously good at keeping to that exact goal, you could then use the calibration factor after a month to get even more personalized results, but i can't imagine anyone being that exact. So... just use it as a guide. If you're losing about the amount of weight per month (not per week, too short to tell) you want, you're on the right track.

i found i was eating at least 500 calories less than i should be.

Re: Supplements. They are worth the money if they help you get through your exercise as placebos and if you don't mind if they might not have any actual effect. Some might. Some certainly don't. But if the action of taking them gets your head straight, then imo they're worth the money. Once you get into your routine and are sticking to a diet/exercise regime phase them out. I think some things, like electrolyte replacement, are definitely important. But 'fad' chemicals/natural ingredients are far less likely to actually be anything.

Based on that it says I should eat 2331 for TDEE. Honestly, I don't think that is physically possible for me. Does that amount sound right?

Errrrrr nevermind.... Blonde moment!! I got it. Even still it says 1865 calories it what I should eat. I wouldn't even know how to eat that much! Perhaps I should get a nutritionist.