Rollerblading?

Options
Resa52
Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
Does anyone here rollerblade?

I use to rollerblade A LOT. Several miles, every night, 5-6 nights a week. But, that was also 10 years ago and I'm way more out of shape and out of the loop now.

I want to buy some new rollerblades (my old ones are destroyed from 6+ years of use) and it seems the market has really changed. I don't want to buy a $70 pair and have them fall apart because they're junk, but I don't want to spend $300 and figure out two months later that rollerblading just isn't for me any more either.

Any suggestions??

Replies

• neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local Freecycle group? (my.freecycle.org)

I just gave my old rollerblades (got from a friend, were the wrong size so I never used them) to somebody with pretty much the same story you posted - no charge, as I wasn't going to use them.

If not Freecycle, check craigslist.
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love rollerblading! I bought a nearly new pair at Goodwill last year for $10 and they are a super good brand!
  • Resa52
    Options
    Bump
  • Resa52
    Options
    Bumping again. No one else rollerblades?
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • geerunz
    geerunz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The K2 brand is really good. You can usually find them at Sports Authority for about $120.00 if you can't find a used pair. I would stress that you invest a few dollars in some protective gear. I was rollerblading about 30 miles a week until I broke my wrist a little over a year ago. No, I wasn't wearing protective gear at the time. Wrist guards may not have saved me from a broken wrist, but it may not have been as bad.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I roller skate!! If that counts :)
  • JennieCakes72
    JennieCakes72 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I rollerblade all summer. This week I did 20 miles on Monday and 10 on Tuesday. I will go again tomorrow and this weekend if it doesn't rain. I wear a HRM and burn a ton of calories. My most favorite exercise!

I have a pair of speed skates I bought for myself for Christmas a few years ago. They are made by rollerblade. Bought them off the internet from a place that has free shipping. I paid about $170 for them, but I absolutely love them and love rollerblading so I didn't mind spending the money.

Did you ever end up getting a new pair? I know this post is about a month old.

Jen
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Rollerblade or K2 are the 2 major brands. If you stick with either of those you should be good. My wife just bought a pair of Rollerblades from ****s for $99.99 and she really likes them.

Guess I cannot the name of the store but it is short for Richard.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I broke my wrist a little over a year ago. No, I wasn't wearing protective gear at the time. Wrist guards may not have saved me from a broken wrist, but it may not have been as bad.

This. Me, too. On quads, though. Don't forget the wrist guards!
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you visit garage and estate sales you will find tons of skates for low prices. Take a pair of socks with you and try them on for size. Lots of what are being sold are good brands and in good condition.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I used to a lot but since I have had my young kids, I don't get out as much. My husband and I used to rollerblade all the time while we were dating. Now we go to the roller rink for dates (not as often as we would like but tons of fun!)