Tabata???

Options
Have you done Tabata? What were your thoughts/results?

Replies

• ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    My Y has Tabata classes, rotating between cardio, strength, and combo.

I love this format for cardio, but dislike it for strength. I enjoy that everyone can work at his or her own pace. A good instructor encourages you to push, but not too far. I leave the class feeling like a superhero.
  • Workit23
    Workit23 Posts: 5
    Options
    I would love to learn about.
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    tabata is an amazing training session. 4 minutes of it could totally kick your *kitten* depending on what you are doing. for my clients i rotate in weight training tabata with body weight tabata. the results speak for themselves. i actually use it myself... for me!!!! you can get a tabata timer app on your smartphone. its really easy to follow!
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I use it for cardio. After 4 minutes, I hate life for a few minutes, until I realize it was awesome.

Couldn't have said it better.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I do it on the spin bike, i love it and it has increased my stamina and really tightened my core too. Sometimes we do 'tabata till you tap out' that is an amazing workout. 20seconds full tilt 10seconds rest it couldnt get any simpler :happy:
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    so funny i was going to post this as a topic as well! :) i recently learned about this and was interested if anybody else has done it or is currently incorporating it into their workouts.. i think i am going to give it a try!
  • jesgaa
    jesgaa Posts: 17
    Options
    I love Tabata! Like GuitarJerry, I hate it while I'm doing it, but I feel so awesome when I'm done. The first few times I did it, I felt like quitting and I envied the few people that were getting through the sets. Now, after only a few classes, I'm getting through it a lot easier and pushing myself to do the moves with more intensity.
    The results are fast and make it totally worth the work!
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I've met Tabata...and she kicked my a**!

But seriously, it's a love hate thing. Its a fantastic workout but i wanted to puke when I was done.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Tabatas are a great closing cardio exercise or if one is pressed for time. 10min warmup, 4minutes of suck and 5min cool down, done. You can do them on the spin bike, rowing machine, running, punching bag ect. I would advise against them on the treadmill. It is 100% effort when you are on interval and the treadmill is too hard to control the speed on which you will not go at 100% effort if you are doing so. I have seen too many times someone not give 100% or falling on the treadmill doing them.
  • Kasaya20
    Kasaya20 Posts: 17
    Options
    Tabata is awesome, painful and so rewarding all at the same time. You will hurt, curse and maybe pee a little on yourself but at the end of it you will love yourself. I usually pick 4 exercises and do 20 seconds on, 10 sec off for 8 reps with 1 minute rest in between exercises. Give it a try, you will love it!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options
    Tabatas are a great closing cardio exercise or if one is pressed for time. 10min warmup, 4minutes of suck and 5min cool down, done. You can do them on the spin bike, rowing machine, running, punching bag ect. I would advise against them on the treadmill. It is 100% effort when you are on interval and the treadmill is too hard to control the speed on which you will not go at 100% effort if you are doing so. I have seen too many times someone not give 100% or falling on the treadmill doing them.

No it's not. It's easy, You just jump off the track. I do it all the time. I set the speed, run liek hell, jump off, rest, jump back on. I don't ramp the speed up or down. I just jump on and off.

This is exactly how I see people bust it all of the time. There is NO WAY anyone can just jump onto the treadmill belt and instantly get to 100% speed. If you can do this I want video....until then Im not buying it. You may be doing this but it is not at 100% like the Tabata Protocol calls for.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

No it's not. It's easy, You just jump off the track. I do it all the time. I set the speed, run liek hell, jump off, rest, jump back on. I don't ramp the speed up or down. I just jump on and off.

This is exactly how I see people bust it all of the time. There is NO WAY anyone can just jump onto the treadmill belt and instantly get to 100% speed. If you can do this I want video....until then Im not buying it. You may be doing this but it is not at 100% like the Tabata Protocol calls for.

I do. You don't have believe it. I can't video it because we're not allowed to. So, either I'm a liar or I'm not. You choose.

Plenty of people share Heroin needles too, doesn't exactly make it safe!

It might work well for you now,but I think you might be on borrowed time for biting it and getting flung.

Edit:
    spelling fail
  • joebiebrich
    joebiebrich Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I do. You don't have believe it. I can't video it because we're not allowed to. So, either I'm a liar or I'm not. You choose.

I too have used this method. you don't jump completely off the treadmill you jump onto the sides and the belt continues to run underneath you. Then I basically lower myself down onto the belt, I don't jump onto it.

That aside, tabata is amazing (meaning it hurts like hell)
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options

This is the equivalent of jumping off the back of a truck while going at your top speed hitting the ground and trying to maintain that speed without falling. You have to have time to accelerate....one can not just go from a total stop to top speed in a fraction of a second. Think about it....when a race happens. From a dead stop you accelerate to top speed....not reach top speed by the first step.... its all part of body mechanics.

Not saying your lying or others are in that they do this by just jumping the the sides of the belt.... but what I am saying is that it is not at your top speed which tabata calls for.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Tabata ran a cardio experiment, on a bike.

Like anything else in the fitness industry, 'experts' run about and slap this new word on everything, because they haven't got a clue what they're doing, but they know buzzwords sell.