Beyond sore- push on or take a break?

Options
I joined the gym for the first time in my life yesterday. I got a free session with a trainer, who I felt was rather easy on me really. walking lunges, squats, and some weight lifting (targeting arms and back). That was about all we did. My legs were a tad sore but nothing I couldnt ignore. Today I went back when I got off work this morning and I did the bike, the...IDK what its called. its not a stair stepper, and not a treadmill but something in between the two. then I did some weights that target my abs, thighs, butt, etc. And now I feel like if I didnt HAVE to get off the couch (got 3 kids!) that I could easy be a potato and never move. I hurt. a lot! I *can* move. and get up. and walk. but its painful. a good pain I guess but pain none the less. I live in an upstairs apartment and going up, or down the stairs is pure torture right now!
My question is do i push on when I get off work in the morning and go back to the gym, or take a day off? I really want to go back but im scared to get even more sore and not be able to keep up with the kids (who im alone with until 10pm every day!) will working through the soreness be more beneficial then taking the easy road out?

Replies

• apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: Not a trainer, not super fit, but speaking from personal experience, the two days after an intense workout are always the worst. What helps me the most is making sure I get in a good warm up. This doesn't need to be static stretches, it can be anything that gets the muscles warm and the heart rate up before you actually start working. I've found from doing Ripped in 30 that wide arm circles are a great way to warm up the upper body, as well as "military marches" that are more like walking like a toy robot. Making sure your muscles are warm before exercising and making sure you stretch after can really help. Try taking a warm bath (if time permits) to loosen up your muscles and then do some stretches before bed? That usually helps me. If you're still too sore you can always take an NSAID (if you're not allergic) and just lower the intensity a bit, no need to go full force right out of the gate. This is an endurance game, not a sprint.

Hope that helps... hopefully someone else can add to/contradict what I've said that might know more.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    The IDK machine I think what you are talking about is the elipitical machine. And I would recommend taking a break. Maybe work out every other day until your muscles recover. Also, make sure you drink plenty of water and lots of protein, both help with muscles repair/recovery. Do some light stretching on your day off to help with muscle sorness too. Once you start working out again make sure you stretch before and after working out this will help too.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You just started. Don't let the soreness win. Keep pushing forward. It will go away. Its going to be a long and painful journey. Buckle up and let soreness take a backseat.
  • jkbear40
    jkbear40 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's best not to do weight lifting 2 days in a row no matter what you are targeting. Your body needs a break to heal the muscles.

I have started a program this week. I will do weightlifting MWF and cardio (walking or elliptical) on T&T. I will take weekends off. I read The New Rules of Lifting for Women book and that is the program I will do for the next 6 months.
    I was very sore Tuesday but better today.
    Drink a lot of water and eat some protein. It will help the muscles recover.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Don't overtrain. The first day or two of the gym, if you feel sore, throttle down.

It's hard, I know, you're ready to DO THIS!!! and go hard.

Ease in, it's a shock to your muscles. stick to walking until the soreness subsides, and you'll be good to go again.

Essentially, you have torn your muscles on a microscopic level, and those tears need to be repaired, which takes time, energy, and protein. Eat balanced, lessen your cut if it's too steep, and get ready to kill it again when you feel fresh.

Rule of thumb, NEVER train when you are too sore, you'll just risk injury. Listening to your body is a big key, and you'll learn to know the difference between "I'm being lazy" and "I'm about to overtrain"

It's OKAY to load up the weight rack, to get everything set, and put everything back after 1 rep. I've done the workout feeling sore, and I've put it all away. When I worked sore, I pulled my quad, and had to sit out my legs for 3 weeks...
  • lhprop1
    lhprop1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't overtrain. The first day or two of the gym, if you feel sore, throttle down.

If this is her 2nd day in the gym, she's not overtraining. Overtraining takes weeks and weeks or even months of constant stress overload on the CNS with insufficient recovery. She is just sore, and that will happen.

Rule of thumb, NEVER train when you are too sore, you'll just risk injury. Listening to your body is a big key, and you'll learn to know the difference between "I'm being lazy" and "I'm about to overtrain"

Being sore is just part of the deal. You're fine to train when you're sore, just go lighter with high reps and try to keep the intensity moderate. You just need to learn the difference between soreness and injury. They are not the same.

Again, 90-95% of the general population will never come close to true overtraining. Real overtraining is a result of a persistent overload of the CNS without proper recovery and will result in insomnia, strength loss, injury, weight gain or loss depending on what you're trying to achieve, and a weakened immune system.