my muffin top wont go away. . . HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I don't 100% agree with "you can't spot reduce". I know you can't with cardio, but with strength training I think you can. You wont see a difference in your arms from doing crunches... That, to me, counts as spot-reduction.

That's not reduction though... that's spot strengthening.
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    I don't 100% agree with "you can't spot reduce". I know you can't with cardio, but with strength training I think you can. You wont see a difference in your arms from doing crunches... That, to me, counts as spot-reduction.

youre misunderstanding what spot reduction means. It means losing fat in a particular area. You cant do that by working out that particular area. you are talking about muscle growth in a particular region, and yes of course thats how it works
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I agree with the kitchen thing. I would recommend getting a good routine of cardio and weight training going, but you've got to eat to fuel your body. Don't overeat and don't undereat. A huge deficit isn't doing you any favors. Eat the calories you earn through exercise, but make nutritious choices. IMO, a good day is where your calorie count says 0 and you fall into bed exhausted from training.
  • FootballGamer58
    Options
    you cant spot reduce. Everything you want to change is made in the kitchen. Diet will affect your BF% and fix these issues. One thing I will say is dont do so much ab work. One common complaint I hear is, I dont understand why my belly is getting larger i do abs all the time. Well the larger your abdominal muscles grow, if your bf% is not dropping your stomach will appear to stick out more. Id work on your calories and start lifting heavy weights :)

Thanks! As in you mean I need to be eating more calories?

No I mean you need to find out your current caloric budget for your weightloss goals, and stick to that for an extended period. And possibly pair that with some heavy lifting or cardio.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Right. You can definitely spot-increase.

friend-dont-let-friends-skip-leg-day.jpg
  • strudel89
    strudel89 Posts: 3
    Options
    I guess that makes sense. But you can target a specific area to look better that way. That's what I meant by that.
  • strudel89
    strudel89 Posts: 3
    Options
    HAHA I've seen this! Yes, that is what I meant. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Right. You can definitely spot-increase.

friend-dont-let-friends-skip-leg-day.jpg

Damnit... kids and their stupid cell phones. That pic will haunt me for ever.
  • FootballGamer58
    Options
    Of course, a person who lifts heavy weights is going to look better than a person who doesnt but has the same bf%
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    ((I can't do HIIT... Sad Face for me.))

Longer shirts? Dresses? Overalls?(that last one was a joke)

Like others have said, you can't spot reduce. Stay committed and you will reach your goal. In the meantime, tweak your wardrobe, log your food constantly, try HIIT and/or weight lifting.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    you cant spot reduce. Everything you want to change is made in the kitchen. Diet will affect your BF% and fix these issues. One thing I will say is dont do so much ab work. One common complaint I hear is, I dont understand why my belly is getting larger i do abs all the time. Well the larger your abdominal muscles grow, if your bf% is not dropping your stomach will appear to stick out more. Id work on your calories and start lifting heavy weights :)

Thanks for the reminder, cause my waist size has gone up. Also, as you lose weight and your skin tightens up, things that USED to hang start moving back to the correct location.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It takes time for the body to "go back" from weight loss and also depends on age. I have a huge weight loss (200lbs), and my body is still shrinking even tho I have only lost 10 lbs in the past 9 months.I did however start weight training over a month ago and I think it is helping. I have tried some body shapers and they work GREAT for me. I just use them occassionally because I want my muscles to do the work and not rely on them. I am 56 years old and am realistic about how much toning and muscle building will do and not in the frame of mind to get surgery.
  • uneik3
    uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing with 1 minor change... be more patient.

I love this! This should be my life's slogan. I've been so close so many times and then just get frustrated and give up. Not getting results fast enough is better than gaining or going back to where you started. Just keep at it!
  • Soniaandreia
    Options
    Thanks! As in you mean I need to be eating more calories?

you definitely need to eat more calories! i saw you mention in another post that your food diary today is basically how it looks every day! You are not eating enough calories, or anywhere near it. You need to fuel your body, especially if you're working out! How have you not collapsed yet?!
  • eswartz0728
    eswartz0728 Posts: 47
    Options
    you definitely need to eat more calories! i saw you mention in another post that your food diary today is basically how it looks every day! You are not eating enough calories, or anywhere near it. You need to fuel your body, especially if you're working out! How have you not collapsed yet?!
    [/quote]

Actually I feel quite good. . .Im sure my calories have been the same for years, I just started counting about 3 mths ago and they have been the same since than. If I eat more I feel sick
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Try the JM 30 days Shred, you can find all 3 levels on youtube. It has a lot of success in that area for many people.
  • healthylady88
    healthylady88 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You'd rather just be the stump? :laugh:
  • pnubn1
    pnubn1 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Don't wear ill-fitting pants...all they do is over accentuate your muffin top...and make it look more like a poundcake top. Second...watch the carbohydrates...specifically, breads and sweets.