Runners!!

Options

Replies

• Jewels_in_the_rough
    Jewels_in_the_rough Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten involved with races, but I go running a lot, and love it. Anyone can add me!
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first official 5K yesterday with a time of 43:07. I wanted to get at least 45 mins so coming under is awesome!
  • missmegadoodle
    Options
    hi! i had always wanted to run a 5k and NEVER had the courage or support system to do so until this past year. A few friends of mine and myself, did the couch to 5k program and we ran in our first 5k and while we arent superstar runners...we actually did run (jog) the ENTIRE 3.2 miles. It was an amazing feeling and you are right...it is ADDICTING!!! I want to do another 5k and be more focused on my time this race. DONT GIVE UP!! It truly is an amazing feeling if nothing else, to prove it to yourself, that you can do it. :smile: :wink:
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I was a big runner last year, but training for my first half last May made running feel like work rather than something I actually enjoyed doing - but I am slowly getting back into it and now have been sidetracked with a planters wart. That will not stop me though!! Good luck with all your races!!!
  • adamswife23
    adamswife23 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am mom of 4 boys ages 8 yrs to 9 months. I am an avid runner. In fact running my 3rd half this Saturday. I wake up around 5am pretty much 5-6 days a wk to get my runs in or weight training.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I had started running before my second pregnancy. It was hard at first, but I made it through two 5K's and then became pregnant with my twins. Fast forward a year and a half, I have six month old twins, a three year old and am back at it again. I did my first 5K since the babies two weeks ago and continue to train. I plan to do a race every month, including a 10K this summer, perhaps a iron girl and then the Empire State Half in October. Add me if you like!!!! I'm always looking for running friends!!!
  • uneik3
    uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started running 3 years ago training for the Disney Princess Half Marathon. I wasn't much of a runner, but I figured if I was looking for weight loss, I would be better off running for longer durations (even if it meant lots of walking) to keep my heart rate up for longer durations. It worked really well and I lost a good bit of weight while I was watching what I ate, but it wasn't enough when the bad habits crept back in. I've done 4 half marathons since, and love the feeling of knowing what I've accomplished. I'm new to the social aspect of MFP, so I'm looking for friends. Feel free to add me!
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been running off and on for quite some time now. Right now I am just starting running regularly after running (very) occassionaly over the winter and spring. I am also doing a 5K in June - it is an obstacle 5K on June 8th. I did it last year and it was a hoot - lots of mud, climbing over things, jumping fire and a big slide into a water pit. Oh, and climbing over a huge pile of straw bales when you are wet and muddy is umm, interesting.

I was doing well until 2 years ago, when I got sidelined with injuries (1 biking, 1 running). I have done several 5Ks, a 10K and used one of Jeff Galloway's plans to do a half marathon. I have also done some sprint triathlons.

Please, please add me if you like - I love to hear about other people's runs, it really motivates me! This year I want to do a 10K and then a half next year.
  • alfmaster
    alfmaster Posts: 29
    Options
    First, I want to say that I admire those Moms and Dads who get up at 4:30 AM to do their runs as this is the only time they have available to them! I cannot fathom getting up at this time!
    Thanks so much everyone :) You guys are awesome! I just ran into a lady at my daughters preschool who ran a half marathon a week ago. She is officially my hero. She prob thinks Im a weirdo cause I was asking her a million questions haha

You will find that runners as a whole will more than willingly talk to you and provide lots of help to you! We love to talk up our sport as it grows into a passion for those of us who commit to it and we want it to be yours!

For local support/running partner, I would check with your local running store as many of them have running clubs or can direct you to the local running club. They have members of all levels and you will definitely find someone there. They also do different events that are measured training runs and a lot of times they offer up different discounts and raffles for items.

For moral support and advice, do what you are doing now and just ask questions! There are lots of forums and web sites available to runners out there. I tend to stick with mainstream like runners world but occasionally find someone like DC Rainmaker who has a great blog and also reviews different types of running watches and technology.

Good luck to you!

**Feel free to add me if you like
  • NOLA19
    NOLA19 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My goal for 2013 is to do one 5k each month and I am tinkering with the idea of doing a half in October for my 30th birthday! I can always use some extra support and offer some in return :) I am by no means a fast runner but I get there all the same. Feel free to add me
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I started running with the c25k program in January! I get up at 4:30am to run too because I have two kids who keep me going during the day. My next event is actually a half marathon in July and my ultimate goal is a full marathon in October. eeeeeeek! I'm still working on trying to eat right and log my food everyday. I'm not so great at that yet, but I do check in everyday and try to be encouraging to my friends. You're welcome to add me!
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I just did my first 5k as best I could, and while I sucked at it it was still great. I bought running shoes, downloaded C25K, and am getting (re)started here.

Feel free to add xo
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Another new runner here! I'm a mom of two and will be running my first 5K on June 8. Feel free to add me if you'd like! I've been working hard and have come a long way due to the great support I've received through MFP:) Good luck to you!
  • DantheMan2517
    DantheMan2517 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. After a bad accident a couple years ago, I'm running again. Already done 3 half marathons (currently training for a full) and can do a 54 min 10K. I run as much as I can. Great sport.

Add me. I like seeing what other running folks are doing.

Dan
  • gourmetgal77
    gourmetgal77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am the same as you as far as evening work outs... I am still working up to doing a full running work out. I am up to run 10 minutes - walk 5 minutes and do that 4 times a week normally getting in between 5 and 6 miles - the other 2 nights I take my daughter and I brisk walk it and she does her best to keep up with me - which is normally about 2 1/2 miles in about 45 minutes. But, there are some nights I tell her "Mama just needs to get out by herself tonight..." Our local Y has a "Memorial Day Mile" Run I want to do this year - but I am thinking my daughter will want to do it with me which means I will not be able to really run it.

I have thought about looking into a 5K in my area maybe late summer- early fall. I am not a huge heat/humidity fan so I am worried trying to do 5K earlier than that will be the death of me... unless I can find one to do by mid-June. Not sure if I can be ready for it though... But, I suppose I will never know if I don't try, huh?
    I've done a few 5K's - my next is May 18th. I try to run 3 times a week, but I'm an evening runner. I go once the kids are in bed, and I love it because after caring for my family all day long, it's just for me :)
  • gourmetgal77
    gourmetgal77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am still at the point of walking some -- I am a seasonal runner even though I tried to keep exercising inside during the winter months. I have just started getting outside almost 3 weeks ago. Right now - I am working towards 10 minutes running 5 minutes walking and I do that for roughly an hour then stretching after.

I have heard of C25K but have not looked into it before....

So, how did your first 5K go?
    Do all of you run straight through? Or do you have to walk some? I finished the C25K program on a treadmill and just started jogging outside. I run my first 5K tomorrow. Gulp!
  • jabaa91
    jabaa91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    jumping on the bandwagon here! me too :)
  • TdaniT
    Options
    I am still at the point of walking some -- I am a seasonal runner even though I tried to keep exercising inside during the winter months. I have just started getting outside almost 3 weeks ago. Right now - I am working towards 10 minutes running 5 minutes walking and I do that for roughly an hour then stretching after.

I have heard of C25K but have not looked into it before....

So, how did your first 5K go?

It wasn't too bad. I finished in 43:10 running/walking. My main problem was my breathing...which is always the case. My legs didn't get tired at all.
    Do all of you run straight through? Or do you have to walk some? I finished the C25K program on a treadmill and just started jogging outside. I run my first 5K tomorrow. Gulp!
  • TdaniT
    Options
    I just did my first 5k as best I could, and while I sucked at it it was still great. I bought running shoes, downloaded C25K, and am getting (re)started here.

Feel free to add xo

Ohhh, you did the Color Run? At least from your gear in your profile pic it looks that way. :) I am doing the Philly Color Run in July. So looking forward to it!
  • TdaniT
    Options

I used to think I HAD to run with no walk breaks. However, I stumbled across Jeff Galloway's website, and he advocates a walk/run approach. I find it helps me quite a bit, and it doesn't affect my time. I generally walk for a minute around the 1 mile or 10-11 minute mark, if I feel I need it. I still keep my pace up, sometimes it's a fast walk, sometimes a slow jog. I try to do this for no less than a minute, then I get back to the running and reassess at the next mile.

Have you tried an interval based program like Couch to 5K? Basically it starts with like 60 seconds of running, then 90 seconds walking alternated for 20 minutes, then you build from there.

Thank you. I did 3.4 miles in 50:37 jogging/walking. I haven't even graduated to "running". I can't seem to get my body to move like that. Maybe I am too self-conscience about it? I am going to push though. :)

I finished the c25k program on May 2nd. :) Then I started jogging outside.