diet soda...good or evil???

Options

Replies

• ohnomongo
    ohnomongo Posts: 3
    Options

And I'm the queen of England. How nice to meet you.
    I'm not really sure of your point. The way science works is there's a peer review process so I read those published scientific works and decide based on them. Were you trying to say that people can say what they want on the internet? That is true but since the original poster is actually wanting good information based in facts, I posted my post.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Not so hot for you... try Zevia (sweetened with Stevia). Or use sparkling mineral water and add flavored Stevia to it, it tastes great when you want the flavor without HFCS or the toxic chemicals in diet drinks. When I drank regular diet soda I had headaches all of the time... I only get them now when I'm sick.
    Define toxic.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Wow, you sure like to get your opinion out there! As for defining toxic: poisonous - venomous - toxicant - virulent - noxious... or did you just want an argument? We all have our opinions and react in different ways to our environment some are more sensitive and symptoms show up sooner. Some people can drink alcohol whenever they want and not become alcoholics others cannot. My suggestion is for those who wish to find an alternative not for those that are happy with drinking it. If you would have read farther you would have seen other people who reacted to Diet Soda but still like the flavor this post was for them.
    Or I just feel that if someone makes a statement like "toxic" that they define the toxic ingredients in diet soda. Apparently there isn't so the claim is false (with the exception of people who suffer from PKU). You call it argument, I call it correct information.
    Some have reactions yes, but general public shouldn't be scaremongered into thinking it's "toxic".

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Summary - there is nothing healthy in diet soda drinks

If increasing health is part of your goal - avoid soda.
    Health isn't just about food or drink. There are other factors that play into it.
    That said while diet soda isn't the best choice, it's not a detriment for health issues if not overdone.

IDEA Fitness member

Define overdone?
    Sure. A can or two won't kill you. A case a day or two will probably cause some problems. Thanks for playing.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • WineandCoffee
    Options
    I'm a scientist and I wrote a blog post about it. http://crunchyscientist.wordpress.com/2013/04/25/obesity-carbohydrates-diet-drinks-and-correlation-studies/

What’s the take home message? Don’t jump on a bandwagon without reading the studies yourself.

You are my favourite poster ever. In fact, if I were to make a poster to congratulate a poster, I'd choose you.
  • Louisedowner
    Louisedowner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    put it this way when you remove sugar out of anything you are replacing that sugar with chemicals/asparatame etc
    just because there is no calories does not make it good
    fizzy drinks have not been round long enough to know effects but a lot of rumours
    i tend to have them now and then but generally.... best to avoid
    at least the body knows what to do with fat and sugar. with chemicals it holds onto them all as it can't process them
    hope that helps!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    put it this way when you remove sugar out of anything you are replacing that sugar with chemicals/asparatame etc
    just because there is no calories does not make it good
    fizzy drinks have not been round long enough to know effects but a lot of rumours
    i tend to have them now and then but generally.... best to avoid
    at least the body knows what to do with fat and sugar. with chemicals it holds onto them all as it can't process them
    hope that helps!
    And no. ALL food consumed by the body is broken down to it's simplest form in the stomach. A whey shake is processed in the the stomach the same way a steak is. The same "chemicals" in aspartame are also in citrus fruit. Phenylalaine and Aspartic acid. Look it up.

IDEA Fitness member
  • StacieHof
    StacieHof Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Health isn't just about food or drink. There are other factors that play into it.
    That said while diet soda isn't the best choice, it's not a detriment for health issues if not overdone.

IDEA Fitness member

Define overdone?
    Sure. A can or two won't kill you. A case a day or two will probably cause some problems. Thanks for playing.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member

Why would it cause problems at any consumption level if there are no toxic or unhealthy ingredients? It does not have calories so will not cause you to become overweight like regular soda. So with your argument someone should be able to drink all they want with no adverse side effects. I'm not saying it will kill anyone but I experienced MS symptoms (muscle twitching, headaches, fatigue, and numbness) at one bottle of Diet Soda a day. When I quit my symptoms went away I did research after that and found many others with the same experience. I am short with a small frame but do not consider myself a special case and do not have any major medical problems.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Geez, Ninerbuff, drink it as much as you want but stop telling other people that it's safe. You might have been drinking it for 25 years without ill effects but a lot of people smoke for 60 years before starting having cancer, emphysema, etc. It's still a fact that cigarettes are bad for the health. So, you might don't want to hear it, but stop using broscience. And telling people that one or two diet sodas a day is fine. The truth is you don't know.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Define overdone?

IDEA Fitness member

Why would it cause problems at any consumption level if there are no toxic or unhealthy ingredients? It does not have calories so will not cause you to become overweight like regular soda. So with your argument someone should be able to drink all they want with no adverse side effects. I'm not saying it will kill anyone but I experienced MS symptoms (muscle twitching, headaches, fatigue, and numbness) at one bottle of Diet Soda a day. When I quit my symptoms went away I did research after that and found many others with the same experience. I am short with a small frame but do not consider myself a special case and do not have any major medical problems.
    Oh good spaghetti monster.............drink 3 gallons of water (non toxic) in as hour and see what happens to the body............hyponatremia. It's obvious that you may have a reaction to it, just like some people are allergic to shell fish or peanuts. But that doesn't mean the GENERAL POPULATION is affected the same way.
    Thanks for playing too.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Geez, Ninerbuff, drink it as much as you want but stop telling other people that it's safe. You might have been drinking it for 25 years without ill effects but a lot of people smoke for 60 years before starting having cancer, emphysema, etc. It's still a fact that cigarettes are bad for the health. So, you might don't want to hear it, but stop using broscience. And telling people that one or two diet sodas a day is fine. The truth is you don't know.
    Not broscience. If you read actual CLINICAL STUDIES that are peer reviewed, moderate consumption hasn't been shown to be a detrimental to general population. Unlike smoking (which actually has a health warnings on the packaging), you don't find any deaths attributed to diet soda for general population. Learn what the term broscience is. Clinical studies that are peer reviewed aren't broscience it's actual science.

IDEA Fitness member
  • StacieHof
    StacieHof Posts: 97 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Define overdone?

IDEA Fitness member

Oh good spaghetti monster.............drink 3 gallons of water (non toxic) in as hour and see what happens to the body............hyponatremia. It's obvious that you may have a reaction to it, just like some people are allergic to shell fish or peanuts. But that doesn't mean the GENERAL POPULATION is affected the same way.

IDEA Fitness member

You did not say have 2 cans but drinking 3 gallons would be harmful you said "A case a day or two will probably cause some problems". So you were thinking something else about it is harmful what is harmful in a case or two?
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I stay away from diet soda. I havent had it in so long that when I do drink it..I get some serious gas bubbles...EEEK!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Neutral Lawful.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    To me, it's not the diet soda which is bad. It's the maltodextrin and sugar alcohols added to a few of them. If a soda is diet and doesn't contain these, then I am good.
  • marydhastings
    marydhastings Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Totally evil. The fake sugars your intaking from the diet soda actually slow down the weight loss process, and can actually make you gain weight.
    I know it's supposed to be a substitution for regular soda, but you may just have to find a way. It's kind of like quitting cigarettes.
    If you crave the carbonation of soda try doing soda water, with a heatlhy fruit infusion, like squeezing fresh fruit juices into it. :P
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Define overdone?

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

You did not say have 2 cans but drinking 3 gallons would be harmful you said "A case a day or two will probably cause some problems". So you were thinking something else about it is harmful what is harmful in a case or two?
    The analogy is anything in excess isn't good, including water. If you don't think that's relevant, then this debate will go on forever.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Totally evil. The fake sugars your intaking from the diet soda actually slow down the weight loss process, and can actually make you gain weight.
    Explain why.

IDEA Fitness member
  • aniytlia
    aniytlia Posts: 4
    Options
    Diet soda is good, I don't know the health affects very well, but honestly, I have replaced all of my soda intake with green tea, and it is working wonders. My body has started to crave the warm, wholesome taste of tea rather than the empty sweet/bitter taste of soda. Honestly, I'd ration some calories every day for dark chocolate intake for your sweet tooth, it at least gives back some nutritional value :)
  • anniemarianas
    Options
    My sister's a training dental hygienist and it's an absolute nope from her. But if you're going to for sodas she says go for diet, not the ones that say zero sugar because those have added acid instead and will completely destroy your tooth enamel.

They're super low in calories though and i enjoy them alot but they make me very thirsty and their high sugar levels tends to make me crash and feel really hungry later so everything in moderation.
  • bonkalkady
    bonkalkady Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink it with my Vodka on weekends! Can't live without alcohol and diet soda makes it possible. :)