1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - how long have you been on MFP, and how long have you been eating 1200 cals?

Some people do well on 1200 cals and other do better on TDEE - 20 percent ..and others do well on other methods. It depends on what is right for you, your body, and your goals.

Do you exercise?

If yes, then you should make sure that you are netting 1200....

Give 1200 a try for four weeks if you are losing then keep at it .if it does not work after four to six weeks then you may need to adjust...your body will give you feedback ..as opposed to five million people on here screaming to "eat more"....
  • miseducation1327
    miseducation1327 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wow...I'm shocked. I too have a hard time staying at 1200 calories. I tried that TDEE calculator people were talking about and it had me at a little over 2,000 calories a day! So even if I cut it by 20% for weight loss, that still leaves me at about 1600 calories a day! That makes me feel so much better! I was down on myself that I couldn't stay at the 1200 but I'm always hungry! Looks like I have something new to try!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Not enough food.

Eat healthy calorie dense food.

how does calorie dense food help?

1200 is 1200 even if its made out of peanut butter and coconut cream.

It's not rocket science. Calorie dense food=eating more for your calories and not feeling as hungry because you had a lot more than a tablespoon of peanut butter and a cup of coconut milk.

how bout u splain it again.

if something is calorie dense, doesn't that mean it has a lot of calories in it like peanut butter?

that doesn't mean that it fills you up right? am I wrong?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I have trouble some days staying within the 1200 calories even though I eat healthy. I'm new here and am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to stay within this limit without starving! Thanks!

I'd slowly decrease the calories
    ... uh...

...hm.

....no.
  • nikilis
    Options
    im stickin around, i think this is about to get good....

tumblr_mmf5yoUeCP1s9c4n0o1_500.gif
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I'm so disappointed when I see people answering questions based off "hearsay".

1200 calories, in many cases, is not too low- at all.

Everyone is different, and everyone's caloric requirements will vary.

1200 is what I aim for everyday, and am sometimes under this amount. I am a healthy 130lb's at 5 ft 7. No starvation mode here!

Do whatever is best for YOU :) If you notice "results" eating around 1200 calories, stick to it! I promise, you won't starve.

Totally THIS. Ridiculous to think every person has the same exact dietary needs.
  • ndj1979
    Options

so your saying you know the caloric intake of caveman?
  • kerstinnoelle
    kerstinnoelle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is the same calories I count. At first it was hard start eating 5 small meals a day I normally have a couple eggs for breakfast bc u want ur first meal to be mainly protein to start burning, then I snack on a fruit or Greek yogurt mid morning then lunch is light normally I have a salmon burger or 4oz of lunch meat then I will snack later on fruit or protein shake then dinner I normally have a meat and veggie or meat and beans something like that soon your stomach will shrink and you'll be adjusted it will take a month or so. Sometimes I barely hit 1200 check out my diary for meal ideas
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    im stickin around, i think this is about to get good....

tumblr_mmf5yoUeCP1s9c4n0o1_500.gif

You are hysterical!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    That is the same calories I count. At first it was hard start eating 5 small meals a day I normally have a couple eggs for breakfast bc u want ur first meal to be mainly protein to start burning, then I snack on a fruit or Greek yogurt mid morning then lunch is light normally I have a salmon burger or 4oz of lunch meat then I will snack later on fruit or protein shake then dinner I normally have a meat and veggie or meat and beans something like that soon your stomach will shrink and you'll be adjusted it will take a month or so. Sometimes I barely hit 1200 check out my diary for meal ideas

you do realize that breakfast has nothing to do with metabolism, right?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You may not need to eat as low as 1200. Take a look at this post for some ideas:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    That is def too low.
    I can send you the calculator to figure out what you should be eating for your body makeup and activity level.
    Message me and I will give you my email or find me on FB.
  • DotPett
    DotPett Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is also set at 1200. Most days I eat close to it, and if I go over, I go take a walk to give me some extra calories to consume. I also plan every few days to eat considerably more than 1200 to prevent my body from going into starvation mode. Changing my intake gets my metabolism doing its job.
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Not enough food.

It's not rocket science. Calorie dense food=eating more for your calories and not feeling as hungry because you had a lot more than a tablespoon of peanut butter and a cup of coconut milk.

how bout u splain it again.

if something is calorie dense, doesn't that mean it has a lot of calories in it like peanut butter?

that doesn't mean that it fills you up right? am I wrong?

I am sorry, I was mistaken. I don't think you want calorie dense foods. I think you should eat a lot of food with fewer calories so that you can eat more throughout the day.
  • lizlovestrees
    lizlovestrees Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try not to put too much stress into numbers. Mine is also 1200. If I don't work out I try my hardest to stay in or under 1200. At the same time if I'm hungry, I eat! ALWAYS! I just eat small meals and snack all day and have no problems staying under. If I do workout I go over 1200 usually. Just eat when you're hungry, and if you're not, don't! ;) Hope this helps.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Not enough food.

Some people can't bare to eat more than small amount by the end of the day, a tablespoon of peanubutter or a small handful of nuts will give you an extra 100 calories. I mean calorie dense as in, it's a small amount of food but it's calorie dense.

maybe I misunderstand the OP. she says its hard to stay within her 1200 calories.

maybe I dont know what within means.

oh and thanks for the calorie dense definition, missus not rocket science is having trouble splaining it.

*kitten* off. I said I was mistaken, you don't need to be a wh0re about it.
    tumblr_mmgfo5RF0N1rijmvyo1_400.gif
  • nikilis
    Options
    Not enough food.

Some people can't bare to eat more than small amount by the end of the day, a tablespoon of peanubutter or a small handful of nuts will give you an extra 100 calories. I mean calorie dense as in, it's a small amount of food but it's calorie dense.

maybe I misunderstand the OP. she says its hard to stay within her 1200 calories.

maybe I dont know what within means.

oh and thanks for the calorie dense definition, missus not rocket science is having trouble splaining it.

*kitten* off. I said I was mistaken, you don't need to be a wh0re about it.

hahahaha. you insulted me about something you got completely wrong. way to hold it together! you're the one who said it wasn't rocket science whilst you didn't know what you were saying.

kinda was rocket science to you eh.

laughing_dog.jpg
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people are telling you that 1200 isn't enough, but everyone is different. I have a slow thryoid (diagnosed w hashimoto's) and I have found that 1200 is a great number for me. If I eat high quality foods and limit sugar, I don't feel hungry at all! I enjoy fiber rich carbs (oatmeal for breakfast) and high protein meals. My snack foods are apples, pickles, and a celery salad that I really enjoy. In terms of energy level, I have been running 6 miles a day since November and I have much more energy when my calories are low. I have reached my goal weight and now tend to eat a few hundred more calories to maintain my weight. 1200 is very doable and you have to simply find what works for you. One thing about 1200 calories is that it forces you to distribute small meals. My magic equation was four meals around 300 calories each.

Good luck!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Everyone says that is too low but MFP sets me only at 1330 with no exercise.......