Calorie counting. . . HELP

Options
this may be a dumb question.. . but if u are supposed to add on all the calories that you burn for the day how are you losing weight?

Replies

• Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Your body burns a set amount by just breathing/digesting/moving etc.

Then you burn a certain amount through daily activity. You specify your daily activity when you set a weight loss goal on the website (Sedentary, lightly active, etc.)

You then subtract some of those calories so your body isn't getting all the energy it needs to maintain weight. This causes you to lose weight to adapt to the lower energy consumption.

You only add more calories if you did something strenuous out of your normal activity (ie. you decided to go for a run), otherwise the website already takes into everything into account.
  • eswartz0728
    eswartz0728 Posts: 47
    Options
    so when it says you've earned "x" amount of calories from exercise I should eat more? I just want to make sure Im reading right. Like my calorie intake is 1200 but today it says 1600 so that's because of the exercise I did?
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well, MFP calculates your daily needs based on how fast you want to lose the weight, and sets it accordingly. It takes -3500 calories to equal a pound lost. Over 7 days, that's -500 calories per day cut.

So lets say you maintain weight eating at 1600. To lose a pound per week, you'd have to chop that back to 1100 (MFP doesn't set itself any lower than 1200 though).

So, MFP says eat 1200 per day. That will slice off a pound a week, but wait, you worked out! you busted *kitten* in the gym, and burnt 400 calories being a MONSTER on the eliptical..

Should you still only eat 1200 for that day?

That's why they add back exercise calories.

Which makes me scratch my head, since MFP also asks you if you are sedentary, lightly active, moderately active, or work in construction. It uses that activity factor to increase your daily energy expenditure (bear with me here). BMR is how many calories you burn by breathing and being a couch potato (Basal Metabolic Rate). If you are sedentary, the amount of calories you spend a day is slightly higher (by about 20%) than your BMR, since walking around spends energy (we all really don't sit all day).

Ok, so if you work out 3-5 times a week, MFP takes your BMR and multiplies it by the moderately active factor (BMR x 1.55). so why is it adding exercise calories on top of that?? isn't that what the factor is adjusting for? I think MFP double counts calories spent when you add exercise cals.

If you want to log your exercise cals and eat them back, just set MFP to sedentary and log all your workouts, and eat them =)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    The calculations on MFP are about 500 calories less than what you'd need to just maintain your current weight. The calorie goal the site gives you is the amount you should aim for to lose weight. It has you set so that number is your deficit. If you don't 'eat back' your exercise calories, you'll end up at too much of a deficit, and that's not healthy and won't help you lose weight. Stick close to the number that MFP gave you, and you'll lose. It's just how MFP works.
  • Anayalata
    Options
    If you put sedentary as your daily activity level and are actually sedentary (desk job or whatever) then YES you do eat those.

If you put active and you're just maintaining that active lifestyle, then no you don't eat them because they've already been accounted for.

Given that your daily allowance is 1200 (which is really low in my opinion), I'd say that you should eat them.

A lot of this is guesswork since there's no real way to tell EXACTLY how many calories you're burning. You have to do some trial and error to figure it out for yourself.
  • eswartz0728
    Options
    thank you all for trying to help me understand but I still don't get it :sad: for example my thing says goal:1200/ food:1288/ exercise:-409/ net=879. . . is this good or bad?
  • Anayalata
    Options
    If your goal is 1200 and you burned an extra 400 through exercise then you need 1600 to keep to the weight loss goals you set.

Without any exercise you'd lose 1lb? per week eating 1200. Since you exercised today, if you didn't eat that extra 400 then your body will have only received 800.

This is generally frowned upon since that's really way too low for the body to function.

It may seem like exercising more and eating less will make you lose weight faster (mathematically at least) but this isn't the case. Feeding yourself too little will only hurt your body in the long run and you'll end up right back where you started.
  • AlexLeeAS
    AlexLeeAS Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am thinking if it says you should eat 1200 calories a day and you go and burn 300 extra... you could eat your workout calories if you choose and you will be safe.... but if you don't eat them and remain at 1200 calories... then that is just going to be more weight lost in the long run. If you need 2000 calories a day to maintain your weight and you only eat 1200 and burn 300 at the gym. Your calories to maintain became 2300 for the day, you could then eat 1500 and it would effect your weight the same as 1200 would. if you need 2000 to maintain and you eat 1200 that is an 800 calorie deficit and if you burn 300 at the gym your net calories are now 900 instead of the 1200 you consumed. so you would be at a 1200 calorie deficit. right?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    thank you all for trying to help me understand but I still don't get it :sad: for example my thing says goal:1200/ food:1288/ exercise:-409/ net=879. . . is this good or bad?

With MFP you set up with your information, job type activity, and how many pounds a week you want to lose. If it gives you an initial goal of 1200 calories that has your weight loss deficit figured in. So if you do nothing outside of the work activity you should lose that number of pounds or around that number just by meeting the calorie goal. That's why when you exercise your goal goes up. So if you exercise and burn 400 calories your new goal will be 1600 for the day. It's expected that you will now eat 1600 so the deficit doesn't get too large. This way you are still netting your original goal, not under it.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Look on your main page. The way it's displayed there makes it a little more clear, to me.

At the top of mine right now, It say "31calories remaining"
    Under that it says "Goal: 1490/ Food: 1544/ Exercise: -85/ =Net: 1459

OK, I didn't exercise very much today, lol. But the math is there. Food is addition. Exercise is subtraction. Net is the result. Your goal weight is what you would eat on a day with no exercise, and that number would allow you to lose weight at the rate you said you wanted.

Exercise subtracts numbers from the food you're eating that day. If your goal is 40 calories and you eat 50 calories and exercise away 35 calories then your body only retains 15 calories. So you need to eat 25 more calories to make sure your at that healthy 40 calorie goal. So you're eaten a total of 75 calories that day.

Flip that around. Say you exercise first thing in the morning before eating. Your goal is 40. You've eaten 0. You exercise away 35 calories. Your body is now holding -35 calories. Obviously that's no good! So you need to eat the 35 to bring yourself back up to 0, and then you also need to eat 40 to meet your goal. So you've eaten a total of 75 calories that day.

It's only confusing because it's too simple. MFP already did the math for you. You don't need to introduce more math into it. It gave you your deficit already. Not eating back calories would be like having a double deficit, and that wouldn't be healthy.
  • roxy_babya2
    roxy_babya2 Posts: 31
    Options
    Wow! I am glad y'all posted so much on here. It has really helped all my questioning as well!!!!
  • eswartz0728
    Options
    o so if I eat 1200 calories a day, I'm fine? No matter how much exercise I do?
  • goomba76
    goomba76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That it how I understand it. I "don't" eat the extra calories I worked off. So far I've lost 16 lbs in 2 months so it seems to be working the way I do it. So if your goal is 1200 and you worked off 400 your total would be 1600. I would say still keep your eating at 1200 and have a +400 calories left at the end of the day and you should lose weight quicker. Hope this helps. Like I say it's working for me great!
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options

If you net 1200 you might be okay. Not if you eat 1200 and also exercise. If you eat 1200 and expend 400 calories in exercise, then you have only netted 800. That is not enough.
  • zulibeth
    zulibeth Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ivery28
    ivery28 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would say yes. Stick to your 1200 cal intake no matter how much you exercise. I am ALWAYS under my calorie goal but I eat healthy on a consistent basis all day. So I know my body is "starving". I try not to focus to much on the calories and more on the protein, sugar and sodium intake. Keep your protein high, keep your sugar and sodium low and stay within your 1200 calorie intake and you should be good to go. I have lost 16 pounds since living a healthier life style (April 5, 2013) and I hope it continues!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

No! If you do more exercise than you allowed for when you signed up to MFP (you chose from sedentary, lightly active, active, very active...) you SHOULD eat at least half of the calories you've earned from doing that extra exercise, otherwise the deficit for that day is too big.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    What I've noticed before, reading posts debating "To eat back exercise calories or not" is that the people saying "Yes, eat them" have lost a LOT of weight and the people saying "No, you want a bigger deficit" haven't! There are thousands of similar posts out there - have a look!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    The easiest answer I can give is where it says "Your Daily Goal"..... eat that number. If you eat that number you're getting a 1200 calorie day regardless of what the actual number is.
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    I would say yes. Stick to your 1200 cal intake no matter how much you exercise. I am ALWAYS under my calorie goal but I eat healthy on a consistent basis all day. So I know my body is "starving". I try not to focus to much on the calories and more on the protein, sugar and sodium intake. Keep your protein high, keep your sugar and sodium low and stay within your 1200 calorie intake and you should be good to go. I have lost 16 pounds since living a healthier life style (April 5, 2013) and I hope it continues!

So lets say the OP does a whole day hiking with her family? 6-7 hours walking. That would burn a lot of calories. Should she not eat more then? You think she should still stick to her 1200 calorie goal?