Exercise calories

Options
2»

Replies

• ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    If you are sedentary you would have no exercise to add. So that's a bit silly.

Not so. I am largely sedentary in that I don't have any regular or planned exercise so when I do go for a walk, I add in the exercise. I also travel a lot for business, often at short notice, so can't plan ahead too much and when my weight drops to the extent that I feel I can go swimming or visit a gym, I will add those in when they happen. Nothing silly there :happy:
  • slamina
    slamina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have an office job so set to Sedentary and add all my exercise and eat it all back (I'm a gannet and would rather do more exercise so I can eat more!)
    I don't have much weight to lose but seem to be losing a pound a week and I'm gaining muscle and fitness so well happy that I'm following the amounts correctly.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you use tdee, you don't eat your workout calories back

unless you use the sedentary multiplier when working out your TDEE! which is what the OP said, so then you would need to eat back exercsie cals as well.
  • feistymoon
    feistymoon Posts: 152
    Options
    I think the important assumption, irrespective of TDEE or mfp, is that your estimated level of activity and calorie burn is truly representative. I recently got a heart rate monitor and discovered mfp overestimates my calorie burns by as much as 40%. If I had eaten back all my exercise calories (as given by mfp) I would most definitely have gained.

Sometimes it makes sense to remove the science a little bit. Eat good food. Eat clean food. Eat when hungry. Eat until full. No
    Do this 80% of the time and you should be fine.

Simples!!
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options

the point is, you aren't actually sedentary. you use that setting to get your BMR and TDEE w/o any exercise built in. Then you can enter your exact (or close to it) calorie burn and avoid the abstract activity levels altogether.

so, no, not silly at all.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Again, I'm getting mixed reviews. I ate 2600 on one day, but still net 1000kcals less because I just found it so damn hard to eat them back. I am definitely set to sedentary, so why would I be gaining on the burns I've calculated with my HRM? This TDEE stuff, I thought I understood is all becoming a bit overwhelming now. :(
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    Also is better to set to lightly active and just eat those and not eat back exercise calories?
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Don't know your age, or how truly active you are (and that can be confusing as I mentioned above).

But, what I find useful is something that gives a range of calorie intakes for the various levels. Then, if you find one level is not working for you, you can try one further up or down.

I suggest you pop your numbers in here:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

That will give you a number of different calorie intakes for different exercise levels. Pick one that seems best for you, try for a couple or weeks or so and see the effect.

You do not eat the calories burned in exercise with this calculator.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    Don't know your age, or how truly active you are (and that can be confusing as I mentioned above).

But, what I find useful is something that gives a range of calorie intakes for the various levels. Then, if you find one level is not working for you, you can try one further up or down.

That will give you a number of different calorie intakes for different exercise levels. Pick one that seems best for you, try for a couple or weeks or so and see the effect.

Gives me 1712 based on no activity. So I'm guessing it does account for some exercise as it is a little high. I just started tracking sodium properly, and my salt for today and yesterday is HORRENDOUS. I need to drink more water today to counteract. Yesterday was hard because my water got turned off whilst they fixed a water pipe. :(
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Gives me 1712 based on no activity. So I'm guessing it does account for some exercise as it is a little high. I just started tracking sodium properly, and my salt for today and yesterday is HORRENDOUS. I need to drink more water today to counteract. Yesterday was hard because my water got turned off whilst they fixed a water pipe. :(

Yes, so that 1712 is for just sitting around and doing pretty much nothing.

Further down the page will be some other calorie values that would be appropropriate if you did light, moderate, very active exercise, etc.

Obviously, for the sedentary no exercise calories are included.

Hope that helps.
  • kellehbeans
    Options

Further down the page will be some other calorie values that would be appropropriate if you did light, moderate, very active exercise, etc.

Hope that helps.

Maybe I should stick to my 1633 with exercise calories eaten like normal, because it's only the past 2 weeks it has stopped working. I have a horrible feeling it may be salt at the moment, but I don't know where to turn if it turns out it's not salt. So as it stands, I'm eating a sedentary level and I should still effectively be losing weight on the scheme I am following?
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Hope that helps.

Maybe I should stick to my 1633 with exercise calories eaten like normal, because it's only the past 2 weeks it has stopped working. I have a horrible feeling it may be salt at the moment, but I don't know where to turn if it turns out it's not salt. So as it stands, I'm eating a sedentary level and I should still effectively be losing weight on the scheme I am following?

From looking at sodium count, it was only over at 3500 in the past 2 days. Just be patient and take measurements. With exercise, try to incorporate weights if you already aren't - you aren't at a super high weight so really should be sure to maintain/gain muscle. Eating at a small deficit like this you are going to be able to gain a bit of muscle. People will say you can't, but I gained when netting 1400 cals (I could tell by the fact I was increasing weight) and even more now that I net 1600.

Patience + consistency is key :)
  • catodd
    catodd Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I dont know how you might take this but ill just say it. I looked at your diary. Your diet is not ideal for losing weight at all. even though all the numbers add up and appear to give you a deficit. Bananas spring rolls peanut butter just to name a few of things you should never eat if your trying to lose weight. eating late in the evening etc. The numbers may appear to work but your body type and the way your body responds to the food you are eating suggest what you are eating is totally wrong. Sorry for being blunt but forget about the numbers and concentrate on the macros Protein low density carbs and let the fat take care of itself by only eating from lean protein sources. Low density carbs like broccoli carrots cauliflower cabbage Your salt intake is high due to the amount of processed foods you eat. never have a meal exceed 400 calories at a time. If you need more info ill gladly give you some. I have had great success in the last twelve weeks I have reduced my bodyfat percentage to 8% from 18% put on lean mass by training in the gym doing weights 4 times a week. Its worked for me it can work for you but you gotta change your diet.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Again, I'm getting mixed reviews. I ate 2600 on one day, but still net 1000kcals less because I just found it so damn hard to eat them back. I am definitely set to sedentary, so why would I be gaining on the burns I've calculated with my HRM? This TDEE stuff, I thought I understood is all becoming a bit overwhelming now. :(

i might be wrong, but it sounds like you're trying to weight yourself day by day to see results. that will -never- work, and you even seem to know why -- stuff like salt and water retention. heck, even if you regulated that, weight loss isn't an 'even' thing. you can 'seem to' gain a pound the day before you lose 3.

you need to be working on a monthly schedule. and if you're eating 1000 cals less than you should be per day, then yes, you're undereating. i added around 400 cals to my diet starting yesterday. does it feel odd doing that to lose weight? sure does. but it's also math, and makes sense.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

the point is, you aren't actually sedentary. you use that setting to get your BMR and TDEE w/o any exercise built in. Then you can enter your exact (or close to it) calorie burn and avoid the abstract activity levels altogether.

so, no, not silly at all.
    then you would be lightly active not sedentary.the whole point of using the TDEE method (which means total daily energy expenditure) is to include everything. If you want to add in exercise then it is no different than following the MFP merhod and logging your exercise cals. Sedentary means 'a lifestlye with no exercise'