1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My TDEE, is 2560, too bad I have no idea what that means :)

Assuming that estimate is a good one*...(and remember, it *is* an estimate), a good starting point would be ~1975 (which is your TDEE - 20%. (Note, that would be the calorie limit each day regardless of exercise activity as that is already a component of the TDEE.)

If I were you, I would take a couple of weeks to ease my calories up to this amount...then track consistently and eat at this level for 4-6 weeks. Then reevaluate your progress to determine what tweaks, if any, need to be made the that number. Losing too quickly? Bump it up a hundred or so. Not losing quickly enough? Knock it down a hundred or so.

Also, take measurements. The tape measure is a better indicator of scale weight anyhow. And speaking of scale weight, don't be alarmed if you stop losing or even gain a pound or two in the first week or so. That happens. Just be patient and trust the process.

ETA: where the 1975 came from.

* I'm not saying it's wrong, but that "feels" a little high. I'm sure others will chime in with their opinion on it soon enough. (They always do. =P )

ETAM: Ah, just read you're a nurse...which would be a significant factor in the TDEE calculation assuming you are active during the day.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Although it's too low, you can do 1200 if you want.

It requires careful planning and precision.

For 1200 calories I used to pre-make 6 small meals of 200 calories each,
    including 1 protein source and 1 carbohydrate.

An example would be 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese (120 calories) and a cup of red grapes (100 calories).

Or six egg whites (90 calories) on two slices whole grain light wheat bread (100 calories)

Or 2/3 cup mixed frozen vegetables (60 calories), 1 clementine (35 calories), and 3 ounces of chicken breast (120 calories)

Or 3/4 cup greek yogurt sweetened with truvia (100 calories) and a half cup of sweet potato.

just remember protein + carb in your mini meals and if you can stick in a fruit or vegetable, it's even better.

I find that's the easiest way to do 1200 calories while eating every few hours and getting sufficient protein to keep you full.

You can mix and match these meals for convenience. Most of them require very minimal cooking.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    The jump start plan is just that - made to jump start your weight loss.

I was just using that as an example of how I'm eating 1200 calories a day and NOT starving, since so many people on this board think 1200 calories isn't enough to keep someone alive :laugh:

its really the point you are missing.

Enlighten me, O' enlightened one

about 10-15% of the healthy female population can eat 1200 or below and be healthy. the largest study into basel metabolic rates confirms this. so there is an 85-90% chance that its not enough in any case.

furthermore without knowing more about the OP, especially height, one could not ascertain her caloric needs.

also of note is that she is a nurse, which would increase her caloric needs due to her physically demanding job, which if not logged/accounted for, would push her net calories even lower.

in conclusion, yeh, anyone can eat 1200 calories for a week or two to jumpstart their diet, but for the long term, 15% or less count do this in a healthy manner.

the defence rests.
  • MegSimmons7
    MegSimmons7 Posts: 13
    Options
    The best way - fresh fruits & veggies! That is what i've had to do. I hate starving, and the only way to stay within my 1200 calories and still feel stuffed is to eat whole foods and a plant-based diet (big salads with only enough dressing to make it palatable, and I love fresh fruit, etc). Also I put a crock pot of pinto beans on overnight and eat those seasoned for a couple days. Brown rice, oats, sprouted bread (Ezekiel 4:9 bread is what I get), some nuts, tofu ... all those things will keep you pretty full without being calorie-dense (and they won't EVER leave you constipated).
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    if you cant stick to 1200 calories without starving, dont do it! some people can, some cant. i eat 1200 a day, but i feel good with that... you dont want to suffer, because you will just end up giving up... maybe take another look at your goals vs. your needs... good luck to you!
  • Lola824
    Lola824 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The best way - fresh fruits & veggies! That is what i've had to do. I hate starving, and the only way to stay within my 1200 calories and still feel stuffed is to eat whole foods and a plant-based diet (big salads with only enough dressing to make it palatable, and I love fresh fruit, etc). Also I put a crock pot of pinto beans on overnight and eat those seasoned for a couple days. Brown rice, oats, sprouted bread (Ezekiel 4:9 bread is what I get), some nuts, tofu ... all those things will keep you pretty full without being calorie-dense (and they won't EVER leave you constipated).

I am leaning towards a plant based diet, as it is healthier all the way around. I am disappointed with this country and the meat industry and what is allowed in our food supply, but that is another topic. Thanks for the input :)
  • Lola824
    Options
    PS: I honestly did not know this is a heated debate, I just have trouble sticking to it and I already eat healthy!

:laugh: No worries...and welcome to MFP.

Your question was totally valid. The "problem" is, it's a frequently asked question here (not that you'd have any practical way of knowing that) so a lot of people were primed with their thoughts on the subject. It's also one of those topics where there are a lot of variables, and in my opinion, a huge difference between the short- and long-term ramifications of each. (Those who believe differently than I will of course say that I'm wrong.)

Whatever you do, don't take it personally. And definitely don't let it overwhelm you.

Welcome to MFP. Enjoy your stay.

:flowerforyou:

Thanks!
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I net 1250, exercise daily and eat quite well. In 7 weeks I've lost 14 lbs and the only time I feel hungry is when it's time for a meal anyway. Many of us have spent our lives shoving crap in our mouths in obscene quantities (or we wouldn't be here). 1,200 is a great way to learn to eat what your body wants in reasonable quantities. I'm healthier because I make better choices. Doughnut or turkey avo sandwich - same calories roughly but you're still hungry after a doughnut.
  • Lola824
    Options
    I work out and I'm a nurse! Thanks for everyone's input! I think everyone is different and you just gotta find what works for you! Good luck to all!
  • bornleader79
    bornleader79 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well I'm on a 1200 cal a day I lose 1-2 Pds a day...buttttttt I also take Qysemia. Which makes a 1200 cal diet a walk in the park. To each its own.
  • nikilis
    Options
    Well I'm on a 1200 cal a day I lose 1-2 Pds a day...buttttttt I also take Qysemia. Which makes a 1200 cal diet a walk in the park. To each its own.

what? nooooo...
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm so disappointed when I see people answering questions based off "hearsay".

1200 calories, in many cases, is not too low- at all.

Everyone is different, and everyone's caloric requirements will vary.

1200 is what I aim for everyday, and am sometimes under this amount. I am a healthy 130lb's at 5 ft 7. No starvation mode here!

Do whatever is best for YOU :) If you notice "results" eating around 1200 calories, stick to it! I promise, you won't starve.

I totally agree! I eat between 1200 and 1300 and never go to bed hungry. It's the choices you make ie lots of fruits and veggies like you said. Only drinking water and unsweetened tea helps loads, why drink 300 cals when I can eat it.

This ^^^^^

1200 is easy if you fill up with fresh veg & fruit, not so easy if pizza, burgers & ice cream are your dream foods
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    It seems that MFP recommends 1lb a week weight loss for everybody, and for many of us this will mean 1200 calories net. You might find that you get a higher number if you change the weight loss goal to 1/2 lb a week.

Personally, I found it difficult to keep to 1200 calories, so I changed my goal to 1/2 lb a week and that worked well.

Do have a look at the other methods too. I prefer to calculate my TDEE and have a deficit from that because I prefer having the same calorie goal each day, but some people prefer to use the MFP system and have more calories if they do more exercise. Both systems work!

Edit: Make sure you've set your activity level for your job correctly too. MFP asks for your activity level before exercise - if you're a nurse you'll probably be quite active. If you put yourself as sedentary MFP won't give you enough calories. I certainly couldn't eat 1200 calories and do a day on the wards!
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    and 1200 cal is too few u will gain and go into starvation mode
    No u will not if u eat lower than 1200 u will....
  • nikilis
    Options
    and 1200 cal is too few u will gain and go into starvation mode
    No u will not if u eat lower than 1200 u will....

tumblr_mcasusRKCS1qf7r8q.gif
  • sangeyvang
    sangeyvang Posts: 182
    Options
    I was doing 1200 a day. It was kinda hard to try not to go over. And honestly, I haven't been having a good night's sleep at all! I was always tired throughout the day and I when I was sleeping, I couldn't stay sleeping. I felt like I was awake the whole time. A friend who's also on a weightloss journey told me that the same thing happened to her and when she increased her calories, the sleeping got better. Recently I upped my calorie intake and safe to say that I have been sleeping so much better and have more energy now! Just make sure you calculate your BMR.
  • jofe84
    jofe84 Posts: 11
    Options
    like many people have said previously it all depends on you, MFP has worked out my calories to 1200 a day im doing ok on it and I dont eat healthy but if you do feel like you are getting really tired and drained after couple weeks then up the calories by 100 and see how you are
  • hanfit85
    hanfit85 Posts: 10
    Options
    don't forget to include your exercise cals

so if you burn 200 a day, that brings the total you can eat up to 1,400 - which is easier.

and maybe have BIiiiG salads for lunch or dinner, with lean chicken breast or fish...
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I've been doing around 1200 but exercising which helps add calories. I find I'm hungry on days my food intake didn't have great food, other days, I have lots of fruit and veggies and even pizza and I'm okay.

It really depends on your age, metabolism, etc. If it's not working, you can tweek it.
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yeah calculate your TDEE - use this website it is one of many

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Get your bmr and then go to Daily Calorie Rate