How do I drive my paleo coworker crazy?

Options

Replies

• CPowersPhD
    CPowersPhD Posts: 2
    Options
    I'd lose weight and let him eat his words. Ignore him.
  • razfabulous
    razfabulous Posts: 18
    Options
    (By the way I have lost 16 pounds in one month eating "paleo" even though I was doing it for health reasons and didn't start counting calories until yesterday. Limited bacon, some steak, lots of chicken and even some buffalo, but mostly tons of vegetables.)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Buy him two books...Paleofantasy and 12 Paleo Myths

Except that Paleofantasy is a mostly awful book.

Haven't but read it...but even better to enrage him.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Make cave paintings on the wall with chocolate pudding. Tell him it's your poo.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Tell him cavemen had small brains and died out when Homo-sapiens came on the scene and learned to use tools, cultivate crops, aka farm, mill grains, etc.... Obesity is a 20th century condition, not Paleozoic! :bigsmile: I think it's more a fault with food processing and TV dinners! Not eating like a caveman, eat like a farmer and you will be fine. Fresh, wholesome, minimally processed, balanced foods. :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Buy him two books...Paleofantasy and 12 Paleo Myths

Except that Paleofantasy is a mostly awful book.

Haven't but read it...but even better to enrage him.

Fair point.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    ]KiseopTounge.gif

Imitation is the best form of flattery, so Just do what ever he does over and over again.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you could drive him crazy, but I'd enjoy going into my extensive knowledge of the geography and history of Westeros. Nobody enjoys that. Not even Game of Thrones fans.

You could talk about Glee a lot. Bet he'd hate that. Or Young and the Restless. Or Pinterest. Just don't talk about ninjas. Everyone enjoys ninjas.

If you do decide to go the "spouting random facts" route, please say "Fact:" before each fact.

Fact:
    tumblr_m0tzy4zumt1rra4nwo1_500.gif
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    bake cookies for the entire office. Or just bring in any sort of baked goods. Make sure you find out peoples birthdays and get huge cakes.
    Then say your really trying to eat palo now. As you dive into more goey frosting
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Show him a picture of your 52 cats

]cat_collage.gif

EPIC. :laugh:
  • nfrewin
    nfrewin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just leave him alone! Different things for different people. Honestly, I eat Paleo... (most of the time). I am going to assume he CrossFits. All CrossFitters talk about is CrossFit and Paleo. So just get used to it now.

TRUTH!! :laugh:
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    As TEMPTING as it would be to do some of the creative ideas offered in this thread, you just started a week ago...in a small office...which I'm assuming has no where for you to get moved away from him in. If you do some of these things, you might become known as the "office b**tch" and it could go poorly for you in the long run.

I agree with the direct approach of asking him to please stop going on about it because although you are happy for him, this is not a diet that is good for you. Perhaps even thank him for his willingness to share and see if he wants to talk to you about overall weight loss goals or exercise.

Kill him with kindness.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you could drive him crazy, but I'd enjoy going into my extensive knowledge of the geography and history of Westeros. Nobody enjoys that. Not even Game of Thrones fans.

You could talk about Glee a lot. Bet he'd hate that. Or Young and the Restless. Or Pinterest. Just don't talk about ninjas. Everyone enjoys ninjas.

If you do decide to go the "spouting random facts" route, please say "Fact:" before each fact.

Hee!
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I like turtles.

Correct response for everything.

I'm partial to "42" as the correct response to everything.

"42" is the correct answer to everything, including life and the universe.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Just tell him there is no one Paleo diet and it is simply meant to be used as a convenient template by which you can consciously structure your eating.

Alternatively tell him to have a Coke and a smile and shut the f"ck up...
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Started a new job last week. Sharing a tiny office with a crazy paleo guy. He spent the day lecturing me about beans making ricin and leeching nutrients from my colon.

He is VERY preachy and I just don't need that. I am not a junk food person at all, I eat mainly just good home prepared food. I really don't believe the hype about eating such extreme diets where you cut out so many foods and eat so much bacon and steak. Not my thing.

I'd really like to have a bit of info to toss back at him when his mouth keeps flapping and all of this nonsense tumbles out. Any ideas?

he might like my blog:

http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/paleo-bread-recipe/

http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/the-lower-palaeolithic-diet/

http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/the-reality-of-palaeolithic-diets/ <-- tell him if he's not eating hippos he's doing it wrong....

btw I'm a palaeoanthropology nerd and studied a lot of this at university (albeit more than a decade ago and I'm still catching up on recent developments in palaeoanthropology)

I have nothing against the concept behind the palaeo diet, i.e. eating the diet we evolved to eat, however a) it's a bit extreme and not strictly necessary to cut out foods like dairy if you're not actually allergic or intolerant to them... humans are highly adaptable... and b) most of what gets put on the internet about the paleo diet is pseudoscience. Dairy is the only truly post-neolithic food (you can't milk wild animals), because neolithic man sure as anything didn't start cultivating foods no-one had ever eaten before...! They certainly didn't invent them, they just cultivated them. The main issue from a health standpoint is that the hunter-gatherer diet was wide and varied, while the neolithic diet relied very heavily on large quantities of a small number of plants, which led to nutritional deficiencies. There is an issue with cultivated varieties being more allergenic, and it's true that people from populations who have been hunter-gatherers until recent times have higher levels of lactose intolerance (which is evidence that people from populations with a long history of farming have adapted to be able to digest dairy!)... but there's no actual need to give up foods you're not allergic or intolerant to.

When I was at uni, one of the palaeoanthropology lecturers told us about the concept of palaeo dieting (this was in the late 90s) yet what he presented was totally different to what's on the internet now... the diet he talked about advised eating a very wide range of different plant foods rather than 2-3 staples, and also (where possible) to choose wild meat over farmed meat (domestic animals have undergone selective breeding just as domestic plants have!). Additionally, the main thing that stopped palaeolithic people from becoming obese is the amount of exercise they had to do to find food in the first place.

The upshot of it is if he's being self righteous, you can probably shut him up from some actual palaeoanthropology from actual peer reviewed journals. There's a phone app out there that you put a food in and it tells you if it's paleo or not........... Yet the journal of human evolution can't do that, so how is some food guru's phone app going to be able to tell me stuff about the diets of palaeolithic peoples that peer reviewed journals can't? "Caveman" (not the most accurate term really because most palaeolithic people didn't actually live in caves, just that caves preserve the remains of those that did a whole lot better than those who lived and died on the plains, in forests, etc) ate wild grains and legumes, and if you get into the whole wild v cultivated thing, you'll find it's practically impossible to get wild vareties of anything except meat and fish/seafood nowadays. Practically every plant in the supermarket will be a cultivated variety that's been subject to some degree of selective breeding. Look up how different wild bananas are to the cultivated varieties of banana and plantain you get in the supermarket.

I just wanted to say that I absolutely love it when you post.

And I'm not being sarcastic.
  • hanfit85
    hanfit85 Posts: 10
    Options
    do what my ANNOYING colleagues do and eat a big bag of potato chips or popcorn at your desk while chewing loudly and rustling the packet

grrrrr!

that would annoy him on so many levels!
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Why not make him be precise about what stone-age culture he is referring to? I do that here every time my paleo-co-worker goes on about it, then we discuss what he could have eaten if he was a caveman here, or on Hawai, or in Africa (for instance.) At least that way it's possible to get some real knowledge about food, history and geography into it - which I think is fun.
  • sangeyvang
    sangeyvang Posts: 182
    Options
    just say 'hurray for you billy' haha!
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    lol tell him he is doing Paleo wrong. Paleo stems from an idea and most of us adapt it to what our own bodies need. (for example i am intolerant to dairy and gluten, but artificial sugar doesn't affect me and nether do potatoes). It sounds more like he is using Paleo as an excuse to consume copious amounts of steak and bacon