inch loss but no weight loss

Options
so.....im losing the inches and no weight so that obviously means im toning up the question is when will i start to see results weight wise......need massively to lose a lot of weight!

Replies

• jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    inces is better then weight. If your losing inches and not just measuring incorrectly, then just keep it up. It will happen eventuelly.
  • meredithkrueger
    Options
    How long have you been exercising? I may go a few weeks with no lbs lost but will lose inches and I can feel more muscle. But, I have noticed that I am able to go a weekend with eating above my calorie goal and it doesn't affect my weight so much because the muscles burn more calories. I have lost 19 but have about 60 more to go. I want to see the lbs drop quickly too but the inches are encouraging too. Stick it out! ; D
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    loss of inches = loss of fat. if you've just started an exercise programme your muscles may be retaining water (part of the growth and repair process, it's a good sign) and this is causing the scale to show the same weight even though you're losing fat

carry on, and the scale will start to show the fat loss as well. But if you've lost inches, then you've lost fat. The muscles retaining water thing will sort itself out as you go along and you will see the scale go down. The only exception is in people who are already fairly lean... they may see their weight go up while their body carries less fat even if the scale doesn't start to show any weight loss straight away.
  • sami_joyce84
    Options
    ive been at it (seriously) for 2 weeks adding more as i think i can to keep pushing myself i have lost 3 inches on my waist and 2 hips i get a pro to measure me so i know its correct i am pleased with the inch loss just wish i didnt feel so down (as silly as it sounds)about the weight loss or lack of!
  • sami_joyce84
    Options
    loss of inches = loss of fat. if you've just started an exercise programme your muscles may be retaining water (part of the growth and repair process, it's a good sign) and this is causing the scale to show the same weight even though you're losing fat

carry on, and the scale will start to show the fat loss as well. But if you've lost inches, then you've lost fat. The muscles retaining water thing will sort itself out as you go along and you will see the scale go down. The only exception is in people who are already fairly lean... they may see their weight go up while their body carries less fat even if the scale doesn't start to show any weight loss straight away.

i have a lot to lose i found i put on 2lbs this wk :-(
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    ive been at it (seriously) for 2 weeks adding more as i think i can to keep pushing myself i have lost 3 inches on my waist and 2 hips i get a pro to measure me so i know its correct i am pleased with the inch loss just wish i didnt feel so down (as silly as it sounds)about the weight loss or lack of!

If you are feeling down after two weeks then you are in for some trouble. Two weeks is nothing in the big picture. Just keep going forword and don't stress. If your losing inches already then you are on the right track.
  • sami_joyce84
    Options
    thank u i just wanted reassurance i suppose i am not going to give up i just needed to know i was going the right way :-)
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options

If you have a lot to lose a 2lb weight gain shouldn't be upsetting unless you gain more again next week. It could easily be water weight/bloating adding on 2lbs to the scale.

I have only a little weight to loose (less than 10lbs) but I can still understand what you mean about getting discouraged with no weight change. I've lost inches and body fat % but for some reason seeing the same weight that I was 4 months ago drives me crazy.

Focus on all your progress in inches and the numbers will soon start moving.
  • danelledawnc
    danelledawnc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my world!!!!! I've been going pretty strong since the end of January and ultimately have, by weighing myself in January (I've been on mfp since last summer, so the weight ticker isn't correct, since it only tracks from the first day you ever sign up, I initially lost last summer, quit with mfp, gained weight back and then jumped back on when life leveled out and I wasn't so stressed out) - which I didn't record in mfp, only lost about 5 lbs (according to a new digital scale the hubby and I bought), HOWEVER, I have lost 4 inches around my waist and 3 inches around my hips. It still would be nice to see the actual weight come down, it's a mental thing I suppose. I actually think the digital scale is junk, because I have weighed myself on 2 different scales (our old one at home, and the one we keep at our office) and both show 10+ lbs loss. Who knows... The hubby is constantly telling me that he can seriously see the difference from flabby to tight and toned. So all is well, at least until I hit the "worst day of the month and life is so terrible." LOL!
    Just keep it up, I keep telling myself, inches lost is better than weight loss since I am putting muscle back on :)
  • bevtyndall
    bevtyndall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I gained six pounds over a week when I started lifting but then dropped it all a couple of days ago. 2 inches is a major win. Go you!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

if you've gained weight but lost inches, the weight gain is water weight, it'll come off in due course keep going