Which at home DVD most Effective?

Options
I would like to lose weight and inches. I am 5'6 and weigh 202pds. My body fat is roughly 46%. I am currently doing 4 days lifting dumbells (7 & mostly 15pds) and other 2 days I do some cardio on a treadmill at home. I would like to start a "program" on Monday. Doing it for the time required (30 days, 90 days,etc.) and see what results I get. I prefer a 30 min workout but will do more if I need to. I just would like some advise on which to start with.

I did 30DS years ago and don't recall if I got any results. I'm sure I wasn't eating good at the time. I've heard about Insanity and I do remember doing the fitness test, again years ago and never did another day. I was very intimidated.

Thanks in advance for your input! Happy Friday!:happy:

Replies

• xdieselx
    xdieselx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think all of them are good because they will make you move and burn calories. You just need to eat at a calories deficit and do exercise (burn calories) to lose weight. So just look at all of them and choose the one that motivates you the most so you will be able to last it until the end. The fact that you weren't eating good might have been why you didn't get results with 30DS. Calculate your calories and try to eat healthy food and you will get results :P

I personally did insanity and yes its real hard but so rewarding when you complete it. Yes the fit test will kill you and you will probably have bad results but its normal because the program is intense. But you will be proud at the end when you see the improvements you have made in your final fit test.
    I was intimidated at first too but I just did what I could and took breaks when my body couldn't handle it anymore and I would keep going. It took me 2 weeks before I could finish the 10 minutes warmups at the beginning of the videos without taking a break...But I puhsed hard and completed it. Even at the end, I couldn't do all the workouts without taking extra breaks but you don't have to be scared because some of the people in the videos cant do the whole training without taking extra breaks either. I was motivated by Akele, the black guy. He has an awesome body but he has no cardio, he always stops early and in month 2 I was lasting longer than him on some videos! hehe.

So if insanity motivates you and you don't get discouraged because its so hard, I say go for it. If you want something that is less crazy that will motivate you then go for other workouts.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Really depends on which you're most likely to enjoy and stick to.

As far as straight up effectiveness, it would be hard for any single DVD program to beat a Turbofire/Chelean Extreme Hybrid.

The most well rounded single program is probably P90X.

Insanity is probably the most hardcore.

Turbofire seems like the most "fun".
  • bronx1101
    bronx1101 Posts: 48
    Options
    I'm finishing up week seven of Insanity tomorrow. I will be perfectly honest, and this is only MY opinion: I really friggin' hate Insanity. And that's only because there is sooooo much jumping and pounding. It's definitely a workout for people who are already in pretty good cardiovascular shape who want to get to the next level, but that doesn't necessarily mean that someone who isn't in great shape couldn't do it. They'd just have to modify how they do it so they don't fall over dead. At least, that's how I get through it every day. I haven't missed a workout, push hard every day, but geez, I will be so glad when it's over and will never do it again. Now the positives are that you WILL see results if you work hard, and there is that sense of accomplishment after each and every workout. I have to admit, I love that part of it, knowing it's hard and I still did it.
  • drink_me
    drink_me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started at basically the same stats as you, 5'6.5 and 203... I did the 30ds and completed it and now do the c25k program and do 30ds on my non run days... I have been on Mfp for 45 days and have lost about 13 lbs since joining but that was halfway through the 30ds program so in total I've lost 25 lbs. I love the 30ds bc it's short enough I can do it while my daughter naps and I am able to stick to it! Good luck. Follow the Mfp calorie goals and you will see results!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Basically, whichever one you think you will actually do. They all get you up and moving which is the point.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Depends what you want to do. I love me some Wii zumba, and for other aerobic/toning stuff my go to is Rosemary Conley - it breaks into small workoutsor you can combine into longer ones when you have time. Works for me.
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Basically, whichever one you think you will actually do. They all get you up and moving which is the point.

^ THIS! ^
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Whatever you enjoy is the one which will work. If you get a heavy heart every time you trudge towards the DVD payer, it's not for you. If you love, love, love it, go for it! But will you love, love, love it the 20th time you hit "Play"?

I'd add that there's no need for a "programme". I've catalogued all the workouts on all my DVDs (nearly 100 over a dozen DVDs - who knew?) by time and type, so if I only have 20 minutes for an upper body workout that's what I'll hit.

Also be wary of any system that has you work out 7 days a week. You need a day off.

For weight loss, what works is a caloric deficit, of which formal exercise is just one component, and getting a mix that suits you of cardio and resistance.
  • lmorr7
    lmorr7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.collagevideo.com/ -- they have snippets of each of their dvds so you can preview it and see if it's something you might like. They've been around since at least the '90s, so they are reputable.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Really depends on which you're most likely to enjoy and stick to.

If it feels good, you'll do it. :-)
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options

QFT
  • echippendale
    Options
    hi im 5ft7 and started off at 219lbs im currently 163lbs, ive mainly just cut down on portion size ,and do at least 30mins exercise a day, im currently doing 30day shred,i also do work out vids off you tube such as,tiffany rothe,jessica smith,jenny ford,leslie sansone, beach body mom, most are dancing and walking vids,they really get me sweating .