Binge eating victory

Options

Replies

• aimeelouise79
    aimeelouise79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you listed what you at yesterday and then came on here looking for people to tell you it's ok.

I'm sorry if my comment upset you but sometimes someone has to be blunt and say it like it is. I'm all for eating what ever you like but with control.

No, OP came here looking for like minded, empathic people who understand what it feels like to be in her position. Which is clearly not you. Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you can't say anything nice, you shouldn't say anything at all?

OP, I'm happy for you. I struggle with binge eating too, and I think moments like you had this morning can be a massive turning point for a person. Hold your head high and keep fighting :)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Do you think many men that control their diet get to a point when there brain says to stop eating? Using MFP you know exactly how much you can eat then stop. I just cant see that as valid reason.

I think that men have a biological advantage over women but it is obvious that women can overcome their natural disadvantage by using tools like MFP---we have a lot of testimonies to that effect. But if you have never walked a mile in someone else's shoes, then it is a good idea to avoid judging them in their struggles. That is gracious and kind--qualities that are in short supply it seems.

Then stop judging men on how easy we have it. You post constantly about how you're addicted to food and the struggles you've had and then turn right around and post this type of comment. It all ads up to so much whining and a "poor me" attitude. If you want to be healthy, the own it.

I am NOT judging men---they have won the obesity sweepstakes it seems. AND I am not "addicted to food". I am getting healthier by the day, by God's grace. You have no idea of the health issues I have had to face in my life. I had a congenital malformation in my neck that I didn't even know that I had until 12 years ago, and it took three years (and three surgeries) to correct it. Since it was on my carotid artery, I nearly lost my life when an infection set in. It has taken me a long time to recover my health but I am getting there. I do not accept your cold and heartless judgment of me and other women.

It's funny that you automatically make the claim that I'm judging "other women." This is not a man versus woman thing and yet you struggle to make it one on a daily basis with your posts. That is a diversion from the real issue of facing your issues and struggles head on and moving forward. You are not the only one that has had to deal with struggles. Yet, you just seem to be particularly vocal about yours. Quite a few people on MFP have had health issues of one type or another. Cancer, back issues, fibromyalgia, low T, and MRSA to name a few. At some point you have to accept your struggles, accept who you are and who you want to be, and OWN it. That in no way takes away from anyone's (including your) problems. But complaining, and saying someone has it easier, doesn't move you closer to your goals.

I am achieving my goals. I reject the statement, "This is not a man versus woman thing and yet you struggle to make it one on a daily basis with your posts." I have faced all of the issues that I have ever had in my life (thank you very much, Sigmund). I never said that I was the only one with struggles--I cannot imagine how you could have arrived at that conclusion. I fully own my life and I thank God that He saw fit to bring me through many toils and much pain. I do not complain because I think my life is more blessed than I ever deserved. I speak up when I see an injustice occurring. It has often incurred the wrath of those who would victimize others but it is just done in a small bit of gratitude toward the One who forgives.

Name calling. Excuses. Martyrdom.

Yes--please forgive me for the sarcasm. No excuses. Martyrdom? Yes, we who are in the faith are ALL called to "...take up our cross and follow Him".
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what binging is? It sounds horrible. I would say I ran off the course if I ate a little more than I was supposed to, but this sounds like a problem where you can't CONTROL how much your eating. Binging is not a word in my vocabulary...
  • lovemitch125
    Options
    Hello,

I was a binge eater (I like to say 'was' because I don't let myself binge any more) and yesterday I binged on an entire sharing bar of chocolate, chips, mayo, take-away pizza and garlic bread. I had a about a third of the pizza and this morning I woke up feeling absolutely terrible. Bloated and full of crap food that has definitely put a few pounds of water weight on me for the next few days. However, I ate a slice of the cold pizza today and I am now going to throw the rest away. It tasted disgusting and with every mouthful all I could think about was what I was putting into my body.

I'm very sad that I binged and I know I'm going to have to work twice as hard after that binge, but after the slice of cold pizza I will now throw the rest away. There is a part of me that wants to just eat it and make today a binge day too, but I want to take care of my body today. I want to be able to control my binge eating by just saying 'no, it's not worth it', because it's not.

The old me would have just eaten the rest of the pizza, chips and mayo today, but now care too much about myself to do that. It isn't just the calories and fat that is stopping me, it's the emotions that come after binge eating.

So today, although I feel like absolute ****, there's a part of me that is proud of myself, instead of ashamed of myself.

Good for you! I threw away all of the leftover Christmas cookies the day after Christmas last year so that I wouldn't be tempted to eat them. I allow myself three cookies on Christmas day--one after each meal (I call it "the gift of the Magi" lol) . The only other day in the year that I allow myself dessert is my birthday. Sugar and wheat are addictive---there have been numerous studies on both of them that point to their addictive power. So I avoid them. I never have any uncontrolled eating. While this may sound oppressive to some, I find it freeing. Freedom is a great thing.

You guys are throwing food away? Let someone else eat it at least. Self control does not mean you have the will power to throw it in the trash. Self control means you have the will power to eat in moderation or to eat something healthier even if it's staring you in the face. Cmon guys, there are starving children and college students who would love your christmas cookies and pizza...

Edit: Still proud of you not binging today! Its a great start, but try not to waste the food.
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It's an important step to realize that you control the food, not the other way around. So you slipped up, the important thing is that you recognized it the next day and made the decision to get back behind the wheel. To all the stupid people out there that come on here just to criticize and be nasty.... were you bullied in high school, or were you the bully? Either way, it's time to let it go. Positivity, people! You get back what you put in.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Reason why I feel like people should just stay hush if they don't know much about the issue/have no experience of it. Call me sensitive or defensive but snarky judgements are really unnecessary. If you're curious of what emotional eating is, google it, or ask. No need to be all sarcastic or judgy.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Hello,

I was a binge eater (I like to say 'was' because I don't let myself binge any more) and yesterday I binged on an entire sharing bar of chocolate, chips, mayo, take-away pizza and garlic bread. I had a about a third of the pizza and this morning I woke up feeling absolutely terrible. Bloated and full of crap food that has definitely put a few pounds of water weight on me for the next few days. However, I ate a slice of the cold pizza today and I am now going to throw the rest away. It tasted disgusting and with every mouthful all I could think about was what I was putting into my body.

I'm very sad that I binged and I know I'm going to have to work twice as hard after that binge, but after the slice of cold pizza I will now throw the rest away. There is a part of me that wants to just eat it and make today a binge day too, but I want to take care of my body today. I want to be able to control my binge eating by just saying 'no, it's not worth it', because it's not.

The old me would have just eaten the rest of the pizza, chips and mayo today, but now care too much about myself to do that. It isn't just the calories and fat that is stopping me, it's the emotions that come after binge eating.

So today, although I feel like absolute ****, there's a part of me that is proud of myself, instead of ashamed of myself.

Good for you! I threw away all of the leftover Christmas cookies the day after Christmas last year so that I wouldn't be tempted to eat them. I allow myself three cookies on Christmas day--one after each meal (I call it "the gift of the Magi" lol) . The only other day in the year that I allow myself dessert is my birthday. Sugar and wheat are addictive---there have been numerous studies on both of them that point to their addictive power. So I avoid them. I never have any uncontrolled eating. While this may sound oppressive to some, I find it freeing. Freedom is a great thing.

You guys are throwing food away? Let someone else eat it at least. Self control does not mean you have the will power to throw it in the trash. Self control means you have the will power to eat in moderation or to eat something healthier even if it's staring you in the face. Cmon guys, there are starving children and college students who would love your christmas cookies and pizza...

I would love to give my Christmas cookies to starving people--but I don't know any. And I give regularly to the local food banks and volunteer my time there--they do not accept home-baked goods. You are also judging where you have no right to do so.
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Do you think many men that control their diet get to a point when there brain says to stop eating? Using MFP you know exactly how much you can eat then stop. I just cant see that as valid reason.

I think that men have a biological advantage over women but it is obvious that women can overcome their natural disadvantage by using tools like MFP---we have a lot of testimonies to that effect.

Good to have some backing.

I do not at all back your behavior. I am merely reinforcing the idea that MFP is a powerful tool to be used in one's struggles against excess body fat.

But my behavior is just making the point you did? Is it because i'm male that it's insensitive? Some people need a kick up the backside to get them in gear, I unapologetically give that and genuinely know i'm giving the person more help than the people saying well done for not pigging out today.

I think it's exactly because you're male that it comes across as insensitive. Go read some gender communication studies and you'll see exactly how most women would take your comments, as opposed to how a guy would receive them. It's all hormonal, and women are different than men. Obviously. Go talk to your "bros" about that and just stay out of these threads if you can't add something positive.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Awesome, way to stop it before it gets to be an even bigger problem.

Now dont forget to drink tons of water :)
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Logical?

Nope, not logical. Go back and do your research...please. You make yourself sound real ignorant.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Seriously, you listed what you at yesterday and then came on here looking for people to tell you it's ok.

I'm sorry if my comment upset you but sometimes someone has to be blunt and say it like it is. I'm all for eating what ever you like but with control.

No, OP came here looking for like minded, empathic people who understand what it feels like to be in her position. Which is clearly not you. Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you can't say anything nice, you shouldn't say anything at all?

OP, I'm happy for you. I struggle with binge eating too, and I think moments like you had this morning can be a massive turning point for a person. Hold your head high and keep fighting :)

Exactly! Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • lovemitch125
    Options

I think that men have a biological advantage over women but it is obvious that women can overcome their natural disadvantage by using tools like MFP---we have a lot of testimonies to that effect.

I do not at all back your behavior. I am merely reinforcing the idea that MFP is a powerful tool to be used in one's struggles against excess body fat.

But my behavior is just making the point you did? Is it because i'm male that it's insensitive? Some people need a kick up the backside to get them in gear, I unapologetically give that and genuinely know i'm giving the person more help than the people saying well done for not pigging out today.

:laugh: I'm sorry but all of this fighting with the two continuous quotings is hilarious!
    Seriously, I'm female and I do not see anything he said as female vs. male. He's right. Some people want to say congrats and I am proud of you and others want to make you stronger with a "This is the reality of it". Neither way is wrong but while the pat on the back is nice, it doesn't mean the OP has overcome their struggles completely (since it was only yesterday) and maybe the OP needs to hear the reality of "Just Do It". People thing MFP is all about support, it's about motivation and learning a healthier lifestyle. No one is going to hold your hand forever and if you think they will, you're going to fall off the course over and over again and maybe for good. You need to realize that this is to better YOURSELF. The motivation has to come from within. Posting your victories is always nice. I love telling people what I have accomplished but I am always expecting that person who says something that kicks me in the *kitten*. Nice words M4tt. :smile:

But because the OP is also looking for words of encouragement, I will make this both comments.
    CONGRATS ON NOT BINGING TODAY! (I honestly am saying that, I am not being sarcastic because it is still a good accomplishment no matter what anyone else is saying) Be proud of yourself. okay?
  • dwickster
    dwickster Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i am also a binge eater. i am trying to not do that anymore. it is summer and i go out an walk with dog for about 15 min. that takes the urg from me.we take many mini walks a day. but if i am in the house i still want to eat it all so this website really really helps me. and i appreciate the community section and all you great people. so smiley keep trucking you will have your weight down in no time. donna:wink::happy: :laugh:
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Logical?

Nope, not logical. Go back and do your research...please. You make yourself sound real ignorant.

Oh, so you disagree with my statement about stopping eating once you've eaten your quota of food?

Explain?
  • lovemitch125
    Options
    Hello,

I would love to give my Christmas cookies to starving people--but I don't know any. And I give regularly to the local food banks and volunteer my time there--they do not accept home-baked goods. You are also judging where you have no right to do so.

Judging you? Please find the judgement in that statement. I was not saying you don't help people (because I don't know your life), I am just saying that the food could go somewhere other than your trash can.
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @Matt, I don't know what your perceived gain is here? Does it make you feel better about yourself to write these types of posts? Does it give you some sort of self-validation? Does it make you feel pious or important?

For the avoidance of doubt, these are all rhetorical questions ^^

I think you may have less issues in life generally, however, if you ask yourself what is your perceived gain from making posts in this forum. I think finding the answe to that question would help enrich your life.
  • challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options

:laugh: I'm sorry but all of this fighting with the two continuous quotings is hilarious!
    Seriously, I'm female and I do not see anything he said as female vs. male. He's right. Some people want to say congrats and I am proud of you and others want to make you stronger with a "This is the reality of it". Neither way is wrong but while the pat on the back is nice, it doesn't mean the OP has overcome their struggles completely (since it was only yesterday) and maybe the OP needs to hear the reality of "Just Do It". People thing MFP is all about support, it's about motivation and learning a healthier lifestyle. No one is going to hold your hand forever and if you think they will, you're going to fall off the course over and over again and maybe for good. You need to realize that this is to better YOURSELF. The motivation has to come from within. Posting your victories is always nice. I love telling people what I have accomplished but I am always expecting that person who says something that kicks me in the *kitten*. Nice words M4tt. :smile:

But because the OP is also looking for words of encouragement, I will make this both comments.
    CONGRATS ON NOT BINGING TODAY! (I honestly am saying that, I am not being sarcastic because it is still a good accomplishment no matter what anyone else is saying) Be proud of yourself. okay?

I second this and I am proud of the non-Binge today for you...Take it one day at a time as you are and keep working towards your goal. You can do this and half the battle is knowing you have a problem and you know you need to learn from it. Just like a trainer sometimes you do have a get in your face kind of push to make you push yourself and I honestly feel thats where his position came from and I also understand the other side. Keep your head up and go for it! :)
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    @Matt, I don't know what your perceived gain is here? Does it make you feel better about yourself to write these types of posts? Does it give you some sort of self-validation? Does it make you feel pious or important?

For the avoidance of doubt, these are all rhetorical questions ^^

I think you may have less issues in life generally, however, if you ask yourself what is your perceived gain from making posts in this forum. I think finding the answe to that question would help enrich your life.

I'm helping people while i'm bored at work. The number of friend request i receive a day gives me the impression lots of people appreciate it.
  • jennylea16
    jennylea16 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you. I have really been struggling with this lately and I know how hard it is. Great job!

And for those of you who have only negative and sarcastic things to say, please try to remember what you should have learned as a child - if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all !
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thank you again for the positive replies!

I wasn't actually looking for words of encouragement - I was just sharing because this is a health and fitness forum, and by not binging today I did something good for myself.

I'm skimming past the arguments because that's not why I joined this site. I know it's hard when people act so self-righteous and insensitive, but let them be keyboard warriors and remember that this is the internet...there's people arguing on videos of puppies! Let them have their fun.