Eating Healthy SUCKS!

Options
I just wanna fit into my old clothes again! :sad:

I just recently had baby # 2 and have realized that it's a lot harder to lose the weight the second time around. Age probably doesn't help either... So, I signed up at a gym and track my calorie intake. I used to be one of those hated people that could eat whatever they wanted and remain fairly thin. That is not the case anymore. :( Since I had terrible eating habits, dieting really sucks for me, not to mention the fact that I am probably the pickiest eater on the planet. I hate seafood, don't know how to cook, love cheese, mayonaise and butter. I might be a lost cause...

Replies

• snyder2teach
    Options
    You're not a lost cause! Start with just making a better choice for one of your vices. I didn't start to focus on weight again until last week. However, my family started making healthy choices a few months ago. We started with trading butter for soy butter. My kids actually like it better. Our next step is conquering BBQ sauce ;)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Find things you like and find heathier ways of eating them, I eat burgers pizza etc, just in moderation it doenst have to be lettuce and cardboard, live a little, you are gonna be doing this long term, if its not something you can stick with then it wont work
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    Options
    i was right with you a few years ago....my husband and i were nacho, pizza, junk food junkies....we were always at fast food...or eating processed things....I came to the reality of my weight after Christmas 2008! My anniversary is dec 31st and my husband took me away for our 5th year. When we got home I looked at the pics from the holidays before and was MORTIFIED! After 2 children and years of foolish eating habits the weight had piled on. When my husband and I married I weighed 125....that Christmas I weighed 210...oh my word! I couldn't blame it on baby weight anymore...my baby was 3 at the time haha. So I started going to the gym and the weight started falling off....and then once I started eating right it was an amazing difference in how I felt! We started small....taking out things that were noticably unhealthy. Today i'm proud to say i'm at 154 and loving myself more than ever....i still have weight to loose....but the food is where its at. You can eat whatever you like and workout non stop and won't loose the weight.....it has everything to do with how you fuel your body...go to eatingwell.com.....its a great resource for wonderful healthy recipes. you can do this....choose to be healthier for yourself and for your children :)
  • fun_mom
    fun_mom Posts: 54
    Options
    Singing to the choir! Right now I'm doing Nutrisystem and some of that food blows so bad! Not only that but I have to eat a TON of veggies which I like but get sick of. Wish I knew how to make you feel better but just know it's for a good cause and I agree with jrich1, find ways to sneak in at least one thing you like a day, in moderation of course! Good luck and your not alone!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hello.........you are only a lost cause if you let the cause be lost. I was like you, I could eat anything that I wanted and stayed at 112lbs. I hit 30 and blew up to 185lbs...............it's life.......I have made up my mind to eat the healthy stuff because health, life and my family are very important to me. I hope that you can come to terms with your eating habits and weight and I wish you good luck in your adventure:)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I hate to disagree with you . . . but I've never been happier with what Im eating.
    Since my husband had some health challenges a few years ago we completely revamped our kitchen . . . what we buy, how we cook, portions, the time we eat . . . everything.
    I now find when we go out to eat all I can taste is grease and salt. We cook with lots of different herbs and spices, everything very fresh and at it's optimum for flavor . . . it is a world away from what we were like but I could NEVER go back now.

My forum post would actually be . . . Eating Healthy ROCKS!

Experiment just like we did . . . you may surprise yourself at how many things you come to love! Change is hard but look at it with optimism because you will be doing your children a HUGE favor by making the change now as they will not have to go through weight issues if this becomes a habit now for them.
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    You don't have to cut out the things you love. Just temper them. Have less.

I think you might find this process can be fun if you were to start learning new things. Maybe try cooking something new once a week. You'll feel a sense of accomplishment by learning to cook and you'll find some really good food.

This process can ADD to your life happiness if you choose to tackle it that way. It doesn't have to be a miserable struggle.

Also, by making it a miserable struggle, you are increasing your risk for being unsuccessful. You'll get fed up with being miserable and go back to your old habits and just put the weight back on.

Perspective is everything. :)
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    You're not a lost cause! I'm the same way...I love to eat! But, I eat the same foods and focus on portion control while logging everything I consume. Yep, I still eat pizza, Chinese, Mexican, etc. I can't cook so for lunches I live on Lean Cuisines. True, my way of eating may not be the healthiest, but it's definitely better than what I was doing before AND I've lost 30 lbs. Plus, I know I can stick with it long term because I'm still eating the things I love...just less of them!
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I agree with the others. . .and I struggle daily with the same problems. However one thing you can do so you can still have, say your mac & cheese, is eat a salad or a big serving of some other veggie that you like and drink a couple glasses of water BEFORE you eat the mac & cheese and then it should take you less to get full therefore having your "treat" without having a huge portion and lots of calories from it. Of course I know it's easier said than done and my biggest problem when I start eating something I like is making myself stop when I'm full. . .. bad I know but that's just the honest truth. Good luck & you are NOT a lost cause. . .none of us are, it just takes determination. . .and lots of hard work!! :smile:
  • berry_nice579
    berry_nice579 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i understand!!! but you know you can indulge now and then. i try to eat healthy during the week and stay within my calorie goals but for the weekend ill let myself cheat a little by eating treats but still stay under my calorie goal and of course make sure you exericise those days so thay you can eat more xD... lol. so far its been working. so yes, you don't have to eat cardboard food all teh time. and there are very yummy healthy alternatives so look them up!!! especially when you cook you can control all those extra calories that are included in restaurants... so maybe now is the time to start up a new hobby!!! i know it's hard.. i have a hard time finding the time to cook xD... but you know it's a matter of time management. recently i've thought of cooking at night so that i won't have to worry about it the next day =]... you might want to try it!!! =]
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Take it slow and learn how to cook. I make some totally rockin' healthy food. 90% of the time, I can totally satisfy a craving for junky food in a healthy way cooking it myself. 9% of the time, I can satisfy a junky food craving by working for it at the gym & then eating a reasonable portion of the junky food. And about 1% of the time I just lose my effing mind and eat a stupid amount of the junky food without working for it. :laugh: But that's okay. Just saying it's pretty easy to keep your sanity and make a healthy lifestyle change at the same time. :wink:
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I would have to say that I am the pickiest eater alive lol. I hate any seafood and I dispise veggies. I can gag down greenbeans and thats it and only if i eat with my meat and tatoes. Your not a lost cause Im down 31 lbs since april. Its all portion control. I will admit I do not eat as many veggies and fruit as i should and that might be why my wieght loss has slowed down but thats life. I too do not know howtocook, though the things I do cook are excellent. Making small changes will work best. I was once a steak and red meat eater and a few years ago we switched to ground turkey and mostly chicken. that was since my husbands stomach doesnt handle red meat too well. We also have switched to only whole grains. Whole wheat breads and pastas. Also I dont drink any calories at all except milk in my cereal. You can do this. I also am one who dispises exercising and I would rather sit on my butt (which is why its fat) but Im getting up and doing it. I walk almost daily with my kids, even if its just to the park up the street or the library. You can do this!
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Learning how to cook was part of my overall process to better health and decreased weight. I remember one of the first meals I taught myself was very simple: I bought frozen chicken tenderloins and cooked it on the skillet with a bit of oil. Added some sliced squash/zucchini and seasoned with pepper and ginger. Served over steamed brown rice. So simple and fast -- It was a go-to meal for a long time. It allowed me to start with a base meal and branch out from there - trying different meats, veggies, and seasonings. Nobody starts out as an expert chef. It takes practice, and sometimes it doesn't always taste awesome, but every meal is a stepping stone to the next.
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    I just wanna fit into my old clothes again! :sad:

I just recently had baby # 2 and have realized that it's a lot harder to lose the weight the second time around. Age probably doesn't help either... So, I signed up at a gym and track my calorie intake. I used to be one of those hated people that could eat whatever they wanted and remain fairly thin. That is not the case anymore. :( Since I had terrible eating habits, dieting really sucks for me, not to mention the fact that I am probably the pickiest eater on the planet. I hate seafood, don't know how to cook, love cheese, mayonaise and butter. I might be a lost cause...

This might not get you "all the way there" but try these ideas:

Substitute turkey and chicken for beef and pork. Ground turkey and turkey burgers...and chicken and turkey sausages. Try some Bison steaks if you're a steak person.

Watch portions.

Cut down snacking - do it less often.

Can you tolerate Splenda or Stevia (the only 2 artificial sweeteners I recommend) instead of sugar? At least some of the time?

Doing those things you can eat mostly the same types of foods, but reduce calories enough that you'll probably see SOME weight loss...and as you get used to smaller portions, you can get more adventurous with what you try to eat.
  • MrsRLD
    MrsRLD Posts: 25
    Options
    You probably LIKE more healthy foods than you realize if you think about it. Check out Allrecipes online. Find some things you like, read the reviews and most often people who make comments offer ways to make even the most devilish dishes more healthy. They also list nutrition info.
    Also, don't give up the things you like. The thought of fat-free mayo makes me gag, but in some circumstances I can hang with the butter spray.
  • AllisonMO
    AllisonMO Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Katie, you can do this successfully by eating not just the healthy stuff, but the things you love in moderation! I have pizza about once a week and wine several evenings but know I have to fit these things into my daily calories and balance it out. Good luck--we are all learning what works for us for the long term so we can maintain.
  • lindakp83
    lindakp83 Posts: 45
    Options
    I fell your pain. I always stayed in fairly good shape despite my horrible eating habits. Unitl the baby. Good luck though. I'm in the same boat.
  • MandykinsK1980
    Options
    I too am a very picky eater!!!! I have started doing my own version of weight watchers and have found several sites that are super helpful and give you everything you need to know!!! I have lost about 13 lbs so far (1 month) and although I watch what I eat, I have not taken a lot of the foods I love out of the equasion (unless they are just hardcore horrible -alfredo sauce)!!!!

I will message you some ideas!!! Feel free to add me as a friend!!!! :)

Have a great day!
  • cindybone
    cindybone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree I eat the foods I love just count everything. I use less butter less mayo and I grill nearly all my meat. I had to have a diet of things I like or would have never stuck with it. Dieting has to be something u can live with the rest of your life or u will fail.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    It gets easier! Trust me, I used to have a horrible diet, right up there with the worst. After high school it was all downhill. Entire frozen pizzas for an after-class snack, trips to Cici's pizza over an hour long, 4 big maks in one sitting. Some days I bet I was consuming 5,000+ calories. I ate everything I could get my hands on, and I was extremely picky. Pizza and hamburgers. That was about 8 years ago. I got fed up and started making small changes, a bit at a time. Now the only thing that would make you believe I was ever overweight are some stretch marks and a bit of pooch on my sides, which should be gone soon enough.

Once you start making the right decisions, your whole way of thinking starts to change. Your brain gets rewired. You start to see food as fuel. This site helps, because it's all numbers, right there for you to see. You start to equate what you eat to how you feel, and once you start to lose and feel that extra hop in your step, you want more and more. I believe firmly that if every very overweight person could spend one single day as a healthy person at a healthy weight, they would be far better motivated to change. I can jump in the air and actually GO UP. I can bench press my bodyweight multiple times. I can run miles without stopping. I can do pullups and dips.

It's all worth it, and it DOES get easier.