I think I messed up...

Options
A little history on me. I'm at 5'5" 38 year old female. SW was 284 on August 6. I started by just walking. At first I could hardly make it down the driveway, to the mailbox without my back hurting. But I got out there every day and went further. Since it was hot in August, I got on the treadmill and worked my way up. 20 minutes, 1 mile, 1 1/2 mile 2 miles until I got to 2 1/2 to 3 miles every day. I logged, ate around 1600-1800 cals a day and lost 40 pounds in August through November.

December was not as good. My exercising was erratic and so was my eating, I lost only 5 lbs but I was OK with that with the way the month went.

January I thought I would start the year out by adding strength training and started C25K. I ran 3X a week, walked on the opposite and started doing squats, lunges, crunches and lifting with dumbbells. I only lost 4 lbs that month.

February I got to Week 7 of C25K and got hurt. Tendonitis in my ankle. I didn't exercise at all for 3 weeks that month, I still ate 1600-1700 calories most days and maintained my weight.

March got the OK to start walking again. I started walking 3X a week and rode a bike the opposite days and did the 30 Squat Challenge that month. I was limited to what I could do because my ankle still hurt but I lost 6 pounds that month.

April came along and I continued walking and squatting and lifting. The second week of April I developed a sinus infection that had me feeling like crap for 2 weeks. In that 2 weeks I ate crap, felt like crap and didn't exercise at all. I started again the 3rd week of April and went back to it 100%. I didn't lose anything that month.

Now here we are May 10. I am walking, started running a little, still doing squats, lunges, push ups, planks and using my dumbbells. I have not lost anything since March 26! This is where I think I messed up. Yes I am building muscle and getting stronger. Yes I am losing inches and feeling better. I lost 1 1/2 inches off my waist and 2 inches off my hips in March alone doing the squat challenge. My BF% has dropped 15% since I started and even though I am as big as I am, I am starting to see some definition in places like my shoulders and my calves. But yet the scale stays the same!

Please don't shoot me for saying this, but I think I started strength training too early and too heavy. I am still a 230 lb female. I am not scale obsessed, but it is incredibly frustrating to do all this work and see the scale go nowhere. But what do I do now? If I stop strenght training and just focus on cardio will I lose what I have built? I don't want to do that. Can I strength train a couple times a week for a while just to keep it? (And I will add when I say I strength train, I am working at home using my own body weight and 10 lb dumbbells. I use 2 lbs when I walk on the treadmill too.)

My diary is open if you want to look. MFP has me at 1340 cals and then I eat some of my exercise calories to get about 1600 a day. I'm not perfect, but I log it. I have taken the time to figure TDEE -20% and it comes out to around 1700 calories a day.

Please be nice, and tell me how to fix this. I'm coming up on 7 weeks with no loss at all. I have made changes, increased intensity, even taken a break and still nothing. I'm stumped. I would be a lot more OK with staying where I am and losing fat and building muscle if I was 170 lbs, but not at 230.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    This is why scales suck. You've lost 15% body fat and inches. Have you dropped clothing sizes? Who cares what the scale says if you're smaller. If you stop weight training now, there's a very good chance that the scale will move downward. But, a big part of that will be because you will lose LBM along with fat, and, that's not what you should want just to get to some arbitrary number of one possible way to measure success.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    And I agree. But it's not like I'm anywhere close to a healthy weight. It still is kind of a big deal where I am.
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert on strength training, but I would suggest you go with relatively low weights and train high reps.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    And I agree. But it's not like I'm anywhere close to a healthy weight. It still is kind of a big deal where I am.

To be provocative: there is no such thing as a "healthy weight" There is a healthy body fat percentage.

However, I hear you: how are you calculating your calories? You might want to drop those if you really need to see a scale drop. Don't stop lifting though.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I dont really have any advice, I just wanted to say nice work on continuing on and not giving up after 7 weeks of no weight loss. You are winning in my book.
  • Tbias78
    Tbias78 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same weight and having the same issue... Honestly I'm not stressing tho because I figure the scale will eventually catch up. I feel better and my close fit better, so if the scale still reads 224 for another 2 months but I can get into a smaller size & look better than so be it...

Edited: I enjoy the feeling of being strong, so I'm actually increasing my strength training just to see how far I can push myself, the rest will take care of itself in time, after all the fat won't stick around forever if I'm gaining muscle right? :)
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I dont really have any advice, I just wanted to say nice work on continuing on and not giving up after 7 weeks of no weight loss. You are winning in my book.

Amen!! I say keep at it and don't worry so much. YOU WILL GET THERE. And you will start losing. Just keep at it.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Not to be offensive but you're not really 'strength training' with 10lbs and 2lb weights, that's not going to build massive muscle or 'bulk you up' or anything. Keep doing what you're doing. Clean up your diet, up your protein, drop your carbs a bit, eat at a deficit and you will lose weight. The scale will catch up eventually.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Patience. The way you are doing it is the right way. Ignore the number on the scale - who cares what the measure of the gravitational pull of the earth on your body is? Your whole body cares that you've lost fat and are healthier! I've lost weight on the scale but nothing is fitting any better - I'd way rather it be the other way around!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    This is no help with you not losing any scale weight but I think it my be worth your time to read this article (from the Mayo Clinic.) Here's just 1 quote that would apply to you...

"You can burn more calories with:

Strength training. Strength training exercises, such as weightlifting, are important because they help counteract muscle loss associated with aging. And since muscle tissue burns more calories than fat tissue does, muscle mass is a key factor in weight loss."

Here's the link to the whole thing...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006

I'm no expert but I have seen on here where people who start lifting weights (and even 10 pounds is a weight to someone who has never really worked out before) sometimes don't "see" any pounds on the scale drop for a few months.
  • Jagkat
    Jagkat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Although I don't know the solution for you except try add more cardio and lower calories a bit. Have you recalculated your TDEE since you lost weight? I'm about the same as you and mine has me about 1500. But I totally know how you feel cause I one time was there. feels like if you are over 200 lbs for a woman doing all that... the scale should at least be moving a few lbs a month. I mean the biggest loser does all those weights and lose, right? I had a trainer and for months the scale didn't move. I got frustrated and quit. and gained back. I have no answer since I am still finding my way. But I hope someone here does... good luck on your journey. feel free to add me I have an open diary and log on here everyday.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I see you have a thyroid condition. I trust you are eating to combat this. My sister has the same thing and didn't ever lose weight until she really lowered her carb intake.
    Also I can add a personal vote for actual strength training because lifting heavy weights helped me lose weight and I am not overweight. It happened when I got to lifting 60lbs plus, I lift a lot more than that now and it is the one thing that has radically changed my body for the better and I am not 'bulky' or masculine or anything.
  • MVPhillip
    MVPhillip Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I looked through your diary and noticed a few things and the main one just being food consistency. Try to keep your meal calories and macro-nutrient percentages the same each day. Also you might try adding another snack (eating less one meal and adding those calories to another meal) to speed up your metabolism. Another thing is your protein percentage looks low and carb ratio high. Here's a great way to figure out how much protein to take in. Body weight divided by 2.2 to find weight in kg, then multiply by 1.2-1.5 if you're trying to lean.

As far as strength training, keep doing it!! Personally I do all mine in circuit training, heavy weight but fast tempo, which lets me gain strength but burn a ton of calories and stay lean. So for you, you could do the same but lighter weights with reps between 12-20.

Altogether though, great job on continuing towards your goals and staying focused towards it!!! :)
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary and your sodium intake is way high on many days. You should try eliminating the Saltine crackers, chicken noodle soup, tortilla etc and try some alternative lower sodium foods and ramp up the protein and veggies. Good luck. It's a learning process, keep reading and you'll figure things out. If I could suggest a book that is an easy ready with tons of helpful info: Eat to Lose Eat to Win by Rachel Beller. She's got some real logical info in her book that gives you an idea of what you should stock your pantry with to keep you on a healthy path.
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    First, GOOD WORK!!! GREAT JOB!!!

Second, the number on the scale is just a number; it does not determine how healthy you are, how pretty you are or how happy you are. If you are looking for the number on the scale you help you in those areas then (and I know this sounds cruel) you've lost now and all your hard work has been for nothing. If you can truly believe that the number is just a number and will always only be a number then you're journey has begun. I will state again what others have told you; if you are healthier due to the choices you have made then that's the primary goal; a lower number is simply a side benefit. Let the number be a number and choose a different method of determining your progress; because you HAVE made progress, don't let the scale tell you any different.

HUGS
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support. I am having a hard time with that number that the scale says, but I do feel better, my clothes are fitting better and I'm getting smaller. All the time, I find I do something that I couldn't do a month ago, or a year ago. May 1 I could only do 13 push ups, yesterday I did 22. Two weekends ago I power raked our big yard in sun and 80 degree weather and it felt great, last year I almost passed out 1/3 of the way though and had to have my husband finish.

I will keep working, but patience is not my strong point. LOL. Thanks for the input. You guy rock!!!!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Didn't read anything past the OP's first post, but I will add in this

**** the scale. The number doesn't matter. You said you have been losing inches. Do you feel stronger? Do you think (objectively) look better in the mirror? Is your running getting better?

These are the things that matter. One day at a time, one foot in front of the other. You haven't messed up anything.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Don't take it bad, but I don't see what the problem is. You're losing body fat (inches). Ditch the scale. Would you rather see a lower number on the scale and be a size 14 or see a higher number and fit in size 8 clothes? Kep lifting and don't forget that when you increase your weight (lift 15-20 lbs), you gain wat weight. It's temporary and necessary to repair your muscles. Just keep doing it!