DEPRESSION NSV!

Options
MeIShouldB
MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
Since I have been working out regularly, I have not felt I needed my medicine. When I get stressed, sad, or overwhelmed about something (and when I do it's about SOMETHING now, not for no reason) I work out. That seems to be great medicine. My doctor may disagree, because it seems sometimes they WANT to keep folks on meds. But it's working for me.

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    That is awesome, you found yourself a natural remedy!! Keep with it and you will be happier and healthier. So happy for you :bigsmile:
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Awesome! That's so wonderful. I workout to relieve stress. It makes me feel so much better !
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Awesome you're feeling better! Keep up the good work!

(Does your doctor know, though? May not be good to quit your meds cold turkey.)
  • Annmarie0426
    Options
    That is great! Just be careful to wean off slowly or you will feel sick. Your body is used to the chemicals...I was able to slowly wean myself off Lexapro and now only take a mild all natural capsule just to help shut my mind off at night and sleep. :)
  • beverlybroughtonquinn
    Options
    Hi Ann Marrie.. What is the natural remedy you use for depression. I am just starting my exercise routine, was never on any meds for depression...but do feel it. I would like to take something natural not medicinal.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Since I have been working out regularly, I have not felt I needed my medicine. When I get stressed, sad, or overwhelmed about something (and when I do it's about SOMETHING now, not for no reason) I work out. That seems to be great medicine. My doctor may disagree, because it seems sometimes they WANT to keep folks on meds. But it's working for me.

Well done you!! Much better to get off meds if you possibly can.

It is a matter of knowing how to handle things when those feelings start to rise. Personally I find that when I start to feel depressed I make a point of spending 10mins or so to think about my general well being and/or feelings. More often than not it can start when I get over tired so no matter what I had planned I will go to bed early and get a good rest.
    It is important tho' that you don't ignore any lasting symptoms and end up worse than you were before.

All the very best to you.. :smile:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options

^^^ Please tell your doctor what you've done. He may disagree but may suggest you ease out. Some anti-depressants can't or shouldn't be stopped suddenly. Congrats on your workout success. It is indeed good for treating depression.
  • MeIShouldB
    Options

Well done you!! Much better to get off meds if you possibly can.

It is a matter of knowing how to handle things when those feelings start to rise. Personally I find that when I start to feel depressed I make a point of spending 10mins or so to think about my general well being and/or feelings. More often than not it can start when I get over tired so no matter what I had planned I will go to bed early and get a good rest.
    It is important tho' that you don't ignore any lasting symptoms and end up worse than you were before.

All the very best to you.. :smile:

LOVE THIS!
  • MeIShouldB
    Options

^^^ Please tell your doctor what you've done. He may disagree but may suggest you ease out. Some anti-depressants can't or shouldn't be stopped suddenly. Congrats on your workout success. It is indeed good for treating depression.

I've been off for several months and doing ok. Thanks for your concern ;)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've been off for several months and doing ok. Thanks for your concern ;)
    Excellent!
  • JaimeCST
    JaimeCST Posts: 118
    Options
    Great job! What a wonderful NSV.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! That's probably the best NSV I've read on this site. I suffer from an unspecified form of depression so I can relate to you.. it makes me really happy that working out has helped you enough to taper off and most likely eventually end meds! Many congrats and well wishes to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!