Breakfast

Options
Renea_Kay
Renea_Kay Posts: 189 Member
How important is breakfast? Why does everyone say it's the most important meal?
Since i was in 7th grade i dont think i have actually ate breakfast except for every sunday and every once and awhile
Now that its summer i dont get up till noon and i just have a small bowl of cereal or left overs from the day before.
School starts soon and i never get up in time for breakfast...any quick breakfast ideas?

Replies

• ira_wall
    ira_wall Posts: 10
    Options
    I have no idea why it is so important either I hate to eat breakfast. I have been making myself force down a bowl of cereal or something small since I started this new way of life, but I am not hungry in the morning.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Breakfast bars are always quick and easy. I love Kellogs bars, Kashi bars, and Fiber one bars. Also, breakfast pockets (like pizza pockets) are quick and they come in whole grain selections.
  • wan2b21
    wan2b21 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to find time or interest in breakfast also.. I also wake up around noon on some occasions :) I think the slim-fast optima's are perfect for me because i don't have to think about cooking and its a quick meal on the go! The strawberry ones are my fav and only have about 180 calories each! They are pretty darn cheap too at about 75 cents each if you know where to look! Breakfast is really important for your metabolism to start each day because your met. slows down to almost nothing while you are sleeping i have heard.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Breakfast.....It is breaking the fast. Your metabolism needs it to start burning calories....as far as the time that you get up it doesn't matter...I work night and my first meal isn't always breakfast food......I like frozen precooked turkey sausage, a cup of fruit and toast with brummel & brown on it...it really doesn't take long....Having breakfast keeps your blood sugar regular...
  • jrsmith
    jrsmith Posts: 4
    Options
    If u dont eat 3 meals and at least 2 snacks then u r starving your body of the good fat that it needs!!! So please eat in the AM... I just weighed in for my first week and lost 5 lbs. i was not a breakfast eater but i am now!!!! i walk 3 days a week and just started Aqua-cize this morning. i love the way i feel now.... Good Luck all!!!
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Would you drive a car without gas? That is what not eating breakfast is to the body. Eating breakfast no matter how small gets your brain and body working on all cylinders. Have a piece of fruit and a cereal bar if you don't like to eat breakfast. As a teenager I never at breakfast. I am trying to get my 15 yr. old to eat breakfast every morning before school otherwise he will slip and drink one of those nasty energy drinks.:drinker: Easy breakfast ideas are a smoothie, oatmeal with berries and protein powder, eggs with toast and some type of berry or vegetable. Making a wrap is easy and you can take it with you. Good luck on eating breakfast.:flowerforyou:
  • ira_wall
    ira_wall Posts: 10
    Options
    Heck that makes sense to me noone has every said it that way a boost for your metabolism. Everyone always says just because you should eat breakfast to keep from snacking or getting hungry before lunch. I am very rarely hungry i don't know why but I have to make myself eat, my husband says I eat like a bird and he has no idea how I could have gained any weight. LOL
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    I have never eaten breakfast either but, I am trying to change my lifestyle. I eat breakfast all most every day. I try to have breakfast with in the first hour I wake up. Not sure if it helps but I think I have noticed that I wake up faster and am a little more alert earlier. I think it also helps me not get so hungry through out the day. I really am not sure if it is helping… lmbo I hope it is because I have made such an effort. OMG what a help I am! Sorry I guess I was just venting.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Remember that the digestive system is not instantaneous. Its a process. Just because you are not hungry in when you wake up doesn't mean you don't need food. Food is energy for your body and it takes some time to process it in. Having a breakfast/first meal starts that process and will give you the energy you need hours down the road. When you feed yourself four hours after you wake up that won't reach your organs until a hour or so after that. Plus by keeping your body fed throughout the whole day helps stops the cravings which then leads to gorging/over eating.
  • nikki4ever
    nikki4ever Posts: 116
    Options
    The thing is, if you have a sensible,light dinner, you will wake up craving breakfast. And by doing so, you will enjoy all the different options for breakfast. I have dinner at 7 - 7:30 pm, and go to bed at 10, 11 pm. By 7 am, i am soooo looking forward to my toast, with my healthy juice....Try it out you will Learn to love BREAKFAST!!!
  • SamanthaAnne
    Options
    People who eat breakfast typically weigh less because you fill yourself up for the day and then are not constantly craving food the whole morning/ early afternoon. I like to eat an omelet (without meat) and fruit and I am good til about 2 o'clock.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I don't know the scientific side of it, but I've heard that it helps get your metabolism up and going - you're literally breaking the fast you were on while sleeping during the night. From personal experience, I never used to eat breakfast - now that I do, I feel a lot better during the day, mornings are a little easier and I'm able to control my eating more (because I'm not as hungry) during the day. It did take me time to build up to eating a good 300 cal breakfast every day - i started with cereal and sometimes fruit, and now I eat eggs and vegetables (spinach, mostly) almost every day. I aim for a high % of calories from protein in my breakfast. If I eat too many carbs or low-quality carbs (like cereal) I don't feel as well.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is so imporant since you've been fasting for around 8 hours. It sort of kicks your metabolism in for the the day and is the biggest source of fuel for your body through the day. I can't make it an hour without getting breakfast or I will start to feel sick and have no energy.
    If I'm in a rush, I normally grab one of my thinkthin protein bars. (240 cals and 20 grams of protein, 0 grams sugar.) Protein bars or granola and cereal bars that have a good amount of fiber or protein are always good since they will keep you full a bit longer. I also like the special K protein shakes. One of those and a banana makes for a quick grab before heading out the door. :)
  • LaSirena29
    Options
    I was working with my doctor for a while, before joining MFP. He explained that I had totally screwed up my metabolism with my eating habits. I would wake up and head to work without eating. I wouldn't eat until I was really hungry, usually around 2pm, then wouldn't eat again until 8pm. My doctor wanted to work on straightening out my metabolism with diet, before adding exercise. By just changing my eating habits, eating the same calories a day (actually, he increased my calories a bit), but eating them in 6 small meals a day, I lost 20 pounds quickly. He insisted that my first meal of the day needed to be within about 30 minutes of waking up and must include protein.

For a quick "I'm running late" breakfast, I like toaster waffles. Good organic ones, not sugar filled ones. I make a sandwich of 2 Nature's Path Organic Flax Plus (the Flax gets me some Omega 3, which I know I need) with tablespoon of peanut butter. I throw them in the toaster while I'm getting my lunch together, spread the peanut butter on and take them out the door with me.