Salad.....I can't force myself to eat it.

Options
2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of other veggies out there. No need to eat something you don't like.

This^ ...... I you were saying "I hate all veggies" that would be different. Besides not all salads are created equal. Salads CAN be low calorie and healthy ...... salads do NOT equal low calorie & healthy. Some restaurant salads are ridiculous.

My favorite "no lettuce" salad .... 1/3 C. shredded carrots, 1/3 C sliced celery, and 1/4 C. green peas (I just thaw frozen) .... add 2 Tbl. Newman's light Sesame Ginger dressing.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It's probably the iceburg lettuce you have a distaste for, it's what was in the taco bell taco, and is used for most fast food burgers and such. Try different lettuces, I LOVE LOVE LOVE butter lettuce, kale, spinach.

A good salad i make is baby spinach with kale, cucumber, snap peas, and brocoli with a dressing of red wine vinegar, lemon, celery salt, a pinch of sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and olive oil. I LOVE IT! :heart:

but as others said, if you don't like it, don't force it, try other veggies :smile:
  • cosmic8o8
    cosmic8o8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You can do a super green food powder smoothie. I like Macro greens cuz it's the least dirt tasting.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Salad of Goodness

1 can black beans
    1 can sweet white corn
    1 can chick peas
    1 cup grape tomatoes (halved or quartered depending on size)
    1 yellow or orange bell pepper chopped
    1/2 red onion chopped
    handful cilantro chopped
    2 avocados chopped (if out of season, guacamole can be used instead)
    4 oz. feta crumbled
    juice of two small limes (for some reason the large ones I buy are always dry)
    about 2 tbsp red wine vinegar (should be equal amount as lime juice so may vary)

Mix, refrigerate.

It's a ton of chopping, but so good. I've also varied it up by using different veggies like jicama thrown in.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Iceberg lettuce is nutritionally void, goes bad quickly. I replaced it with baby spinach and the occasional mixed greens, completely.
  • Dino924
    Dino924 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about cooked veggies? I hate spinach in a salad but love sauteed spinach, and spinch in omlets, stuffed chicken etc.

I'm pretty picky about my salad lettuce, usually sticking to romane or the mid level bitterness leaves (iceberg too bland; spinach and arugala too bitter).
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Salad doesn't have to include lettuce...or any leafy green if you don't want.

My favourite one to make is chopped up tomatoes, cucumber, orange pepper, kalamata olives, and chick peas. I put Italian dressing on it, and if I have the calories I'll put some goat feta on top.

YUM! I read a diet book (sorry, can't remember which one to give credit too), but the author said he takes his favorite higher calorie meals and turns then into salads- so I tried it with pizza. I cut 2 regular sized slices up into GOOD greens, iceberg is just a watery filler and quite often browning and wilted at Taco Bell. It sounds weird, but if I ate just 2 slices of pizza I'd be wanting more, but with the greens it fills me up.
  • RambyPandy
    RambyPandy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    There's some great mixed greens blends out there. I am super turned on to the Earthbound Farms Herb Salad mix lately. Try adding some of your favorite crumbled cheese for flavor, and/or sauteed chicken for added flavor. Add in lots of multi-color veggies and you have a super healthy lunch. (I don't even add dressing, the cheese really does it for me).

You could also explore other salads with different "bases" such as perhaps lentils, chick peas, etc. I see a good recipe ^ up there.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRh2zf1KYC_qwS-R5nW02yZMOw0Alyg7TwNasf0FRgMr5NuiboAyw
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful tips everyone I really appreciate it!
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Try green leaf lettuce or baby spring mix. I hated salads for most of my life and just recently realized it's just iceberg lettuce that I hate with a passion. I make salads with green leaf lettuce almost every day now and love them - I add almonds & chicken so that they're a little higher in calories too.