Can you exercise with asthma?

Options
I have been sick for about 8 weeks with a cough and breathing problems. The doctor I went to yesterday at minor emergency said I have bronchitis and he thinks I have asthma. He put me on an inhaler and sent me to a different dr. that I can't get into until the 31st. I do feel lots better with the inhaler. To make a long story short I haven't been able to do much for the last couple of months especially any kind of exercise and it doesn't look like it will be better for awhile. It sure makes it hard to lose any weight without doing much of anything so I feel good about any weight I have lost. My question is what kind of exercise can you do if you are in your 60's and have asthma.

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    any sort you like, as long as you take your inhaler and stop if you need to.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yes

I exercised before I knew i had asthma (tried arguing with the dr when he diagnosed me by saying 'youre taking the pee arent you?)

Depends on your inhaler

if its a steroid inhaler (my brown one) you take that morning/night in the amount of doses your dr advises.

However originally i was given a 'speed' inhaler' (my blue one) and told to take it 30 mins prior to exercise and take it with me just incase.

And age is a number!
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yep.

I pretreat before strenuous exercise. Example: I hike in the mountains a lot. I know a long, very steep section of trail will often trigger my asthma so if I'm headed toward that kind of trail I treat with my inhaler right before starting the hike and again every 2 hours if there are steep sections still to come.

Talk to your doctor about this strategy, and you may need to find out what types of activity most trigger your asthma before doing this.You don't want to pretreat before an activity that isn't going to give you problems. For example, for some reason I can bike and very rarely have problems, so I don't pretreat before riding. Same with most lifting.
  • wafflesmommy
    wafflesmommy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and get it almost every time I work out. If I use my inhaler 20 minutes before exercise, take it with me, I can normally finish my planned workout. Also I have found that I should avoid cold or windy weather. It is manageable. Stop when you need to and you will see progress over time. In addition, an hour or so after working out, I breathe much better. It helps my lungs! Be prepared, take it slow at first and keep making small goals. If all else fails, stretching hardly ever inflames my asthma, so I concentrate on breathing and get a good stretch in. It is all personal, see what works for you.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    been asthmatic my entire life... I do whatever exercise i like, the only thing that holds me back is my bad back and that doesn't stop me often. the best exercise any of my asthmatic friends n i was told to do was swimming, the whole controlled breathing, face in the water type. it increases your lung capacity, strength and helps you feel more controlled and relaxed about breathing xx
  • rde8jr
    rde8jr Posts: 34
    Options
    Most definately the more Cardio you do the better shape your lungs will be in. My son was asthmatic and he played three sports in school. Basketball, baseball and football, he always had more trouble with his ashtma when he wasn't active.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've been asthmatic my entire life. With the proper plan which will include the right meds FOR YOU, you will be able to exercise.

I run five miles a day and do an hour of yoga. I've changed my meds here and there over the years, and tried new ideas even when i thought my MD was nuts. For example, she read an article that detailed a correlation between asthma and "microscopic gastric reflux." She wanted to put me on daily Prilosec. I went along with it as a Prilosec is a drug with very small potential for long term negative effects (unlike the Advair I had been on for over 10 years and wanted to get off) and almost immediately I noticed a marked improvement. I'm now weaning off Advair, and only taking Singulair and Prilosec, and one short hit off my Albuterol right before I start a run, although on cooler, less humid days I skip it.

I do not need the inhaler before yoga--I think because a large part of yoga focuses on controlled breathing--but do not make the mistake that it is not aerobic or difficult. It combines aerobic exercise with strength training, and many people I know can't handle it.

Become a partner with your doctor, work together to come up with a plan. Good luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I suggest not working out until you have it under control. You might want to get on an inhaled steroid you take a couple of times a day.

But once it's under control, you can work out with it. I've had it since I was in kindergarten, so 22 years, and mine has been very bad at points.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I have been sick for about 8 weeks with a cough and breathing problems. The doctor I went to yesterday at minor emergency said I have bronchitis and he thinks I have asthma. He put me on an inhaler and sent me to a different dr. that I can't get into until the 31st. I do feel lots better with the inhaler. To make a long story short I haven't been able to do much for the last couple of months especially any kind of exercise and it doesn't look like it will be better for awhile. It sure makes it hard to lose any weight without doing much of anything so I feel good about any weight I have lost. My question is what kind of exercise can you do if you are in your 60's and have asthma.

How's your eating going? Are you eating as well as you'd normally have done prior to having to deal with your cough and breathing problems?

IF your main concern is to lose the fat weight ~ exercise is a non-issue. IF it's for health reasons ~ to strengthen your lungs say, I would suggest yoga, pilates and tai chi for they are gentle enough with a focus on breathing and aren't too taxing at the basic level.

To shed off the hanger-on fat weight, all you'll need to do is to eat 15% - 20% below your TDEE or better yet, whatever your Physician has recommended you.

Please measure your food (THIS=> weight ie g, oz, et al vs cups, Tblsp, pinch<=NOT THIS). Discipline your eating and the weight will come off. This also means to eat and NOT to not eat when you're not hungry, as is often the case, when one's respiratory system is ailing.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

I have asthma, yep it sucks having to depend on an inhaler! But it hasn't held me back from doing any type of exercise I want, even high intensity exercise. So for you since you are still getting over bronchitis I would start with just walking. Build up speed and duration as you feel better. Definitely follow up with your Doctor and take your medicine as prescribed. Once your 100% you can start to push and challenge yourself. Baby steps!