Enlightenment on Calories I am confused?

Options
Okay this is probably very simple so please don't laugh.

I know that I am suppose to cap my calories at a certain amount.

But I worked out today and burned 600 or so, now I am suppose to take more calories in? I am confused I thought the idea was to limit the amount I take in, if I am putting back what I burned than isn't this defeating the purpose of working out?

I am lost, I want to lose weight but won't putting more than my allotment in be a negative thing?

Replies

• mdraper60
    mdraper60 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you are following the MFP method, you are already eating at a deficit so if you burn more and don't eat it back you are creating an even larger deficit which is not enough to fuel your body for normal daily functions plus the exercise you are doing. It took me a long time to start eating my exercise calories back because I was in the same mindset that you are, it seems counter-productive to exercise then eat any calories I burned but I feel way better when I eat those back as opposed to when I don't.

The goal that MFP gives you is what you should be NETTING (food-exercise).

Hope that helps! :smile:
  • Misha6
    Misha6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well, if you set up MFP to lose weight, (i.e. 1 pound per week) then you are already at a deficit. By "eating back" your exercise calories you are going to remain at a deficit. You do not need to eat back all of your calories, but if you have a really intense high calorie burn workout you may want to eat at least a few hundred of those back, maybe focus on protein.
  • KnifeThrower89
    Options
    I see what your saying! Okay, that makes sense! thank you
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I do the Tdee-20% so I don't eat back my exercise calories ... I just try to eat 2104 calories a day .....I have it set up that I already included my exercise calories when I did my Tdee - 20%...hope that helps
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    This is a can of worms

You will get a zillion replies that you MUST eat all your exercise calories back, or you will surely go into "starvation mode" and die next week

however, listen to your body, if you are not hungry then carry on as before, if you start feeling weak, listless etc, then eat the extra calories

There is no one rule fits all, we are all unique and you must do what suits you, not slavishly follow well meant, but may not be right for you, information on the internet
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. MFP is set up to have you already at a deficit and too big of a deficit over time can do some harm. If you feel more tired than usual and feel that you may need more, then feel free to eat your exercise calories back because you are already set up for a deficit
  • mdraper60
    mdraper60 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This is a can of worms

You will get a zillion replies that you MUST eat all your exercise calories back, or you will surely go into "starvation mode" and die next week

however, listen to your body, if you are not hungry then carry on as before, if you start feeling weak, listless etc, then
    eat the extra calories

There is no one rule fits all, we are all unique and you must do what suits you, not slavishly follow well meant, but may not be right for you, information on the internet

Couldn't agree more. I don't eat back all of my exercise calories. I try to eat back some but if I'm not hungry I don't. I find that I eat more back if I worked extra hard during a workout. It is all about learning to listen to your body so you can maintain this lifestyle change for the long haul.