No Access to Gym - Exercise help wanted!

Options
Hi, I'm a poor student so I really can't afford the gym and whatnot, I just need to advice and some ideas about what i can do for exercise at home? Or rec me some YouTube exercise videos that anyone of you guys are using, I'd really really appreciate it? Nothing really really intense. Thank you

Replies

• Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Walk/jog/run. Free other than a decent pair of running shoes.

Borrow yoga/pilates DVD's from your library--spent $20 on a mat, blocks, and bands.

Remember the exercises you did in 4th grade gym class? Jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups/crunches, squat thrusts, jump rope, bend over and touch your toes, hands and feet on the ground and arch your front up. You get the idea

Fill empty 1 liter bottles with water and lift. As it becomes easier, use something heavier like BB's.

I'm sure you can think of others.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    push ups. lots of push ups.
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options

Good idea until you need to do 300 to get an effective workout. I know of a website where you can get tons of workouts for home. I can't put the link onbhere because he moderators will have a heart attack
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good workouts on YouTube. Right now I am doing Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home series (1 mile, 2 mile, 3 mile and 5 mile videos). Soon I'm going to start JM's 30 Day Shred.

If you have a Five & Below near you, they have a nice little variety of weights from 1-5lb + ankle/wrist and hand weights... plus other goodies like pedometers, speed ropes, yoga mats, etc - so you can get some great home workout stuff for cheap!
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Good idea until you need to do 300 to get an effective workout. I know of a website where you can get tons of workouts for home. I can't put the link onbhere because he moderators will have a heart attack

I think it depends on how good or bad you are at push-ups. Push-ups are an EXCELLENT exercise for upper body. If you have an easy time with them, there are around 30 or so different variations you can do to make them more challenging.

I actually do all of my strength training at home, with no weights. I use my own body weight. Push-ups, dips, and pull-ups for upper body, squats and lunges for lower body, planks for core. Granted, I'm not strong enough yet to lift my own body weight, it works for me. Exercises that work compound muscle groups are best. I would suggest buying a pull-up bar. I got mine for $30.

Run, walk, swim, or ride a bike for cardio. It's more than possible to get a great workout at home without a gym membership.

If you need somewhere to start, you can start by doing these challenges:
    http://www.hundredpushups.com/ <-- from there you can find dips, sit-ups, squats, and pull-ups challenges..

I am just a beginner with all of this, it is hard (for me), but I've been at it for a couple of weeks now and I can already feel and see the differences!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    body weight exercises, buy a pull up bar that you can hang in your doorway, there are a wide variety of pushups sit ups and squats that get harder and harder to do as you get stronger.

But does you school have a gym? If so, look into it, it might be free =)
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Planks are an excellent way to build core strength. I do them daily as part of my yoga routine. If done correctly they'll work on your arms, core, thighs, and calves all at the same time. There are a number of different variations, mix them up for the best results.
  • StormSparks1994
    StormSparks1994 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Push ups are a little hard for me though and I checked the one hundred push up challenge thing and seems more of a strength thing instead of cardio?
  • runningmcgee
    runningmcgee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This training program was recently published in the American College of Sports Medicine's Health and Fitness Journal, which can be made as intense as you want and doesn't need any extra equipment, or much room:

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-healthfitness/Fulltext/2013/05000/HIGH_INTENSITY_CIRCUIT_TRAINING_USING_BODY_WEIGHT_.5.aspx
  • tom10239487
    tom10239487 Posts: 19
    Options
    I too am a poor student! I've been working out seriously for 4 or 5 months now, but I haven't been to the gym once. I have dumbbells but there is plenty of exercises you can do without them. If you want some Youtube vids to watch, I find the SixPackShortcuts ones to be pretty good. If you are wanting to do cardio, try the vid entitled 'Insane Home Fatloss'- you can follow the video and go as hard as you like.
    Otherwise, things like pushups and tricep dips are always good.
    Good luck! :happy:
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Push ups are a little hard for me though and I checked the one hundred push up challenge thing and seems more of a strength thing instead of cardio?

It is more of a strength thing. But strength training is equally important to cardio, if not more important. With strength training, if intense enough, can continue burning calories up to 48 hours after your workout. Whereas with calories burned during cardio, pretty much stops post workout. Also, a pound of muscle burns 6 calories a day, where-as a pound of fat burns 2 calories a day. Doesn't seem like much, but even small things can make a difference in my opinion. Too much cardio can cause you to burn muscle, and it's a LOT harder to gain muscle than it is to lose fat. You don't want to lose your lean muscle mass when losing weight. Otherwise you will just end up looking like a skinny fat person, for lack of better term. So really, I guess it boils down to what your goals are, and what you want your physical end result to be.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Try the Befit channel on youtube. They post new videos every week and have all sort of stuff, yoga, bootcamps, Jillian Michaels aerobics, walking, etc.. You can fill out water bottles with water to start with weights. Look also on youtube for the buttbible. They are relative easy videos. I would start with the Sansome walking videos and then advance and experiment with others.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Go to armyprt.com and download the training manual. Lots of routines there. Follow the toughening routine to start. There s also an app with the daily workout calendar.