I.. just.. can't.. run.. :(

Options
So basically I used to run when I weighed 190. Loved it. Nothing huge but I would do a mile a few times a week. I got prego gained 80 lbs. In March I finally started eating healthy and exercising. I wanted to start running at that point but after trying I was in so much pain I just couldn't do it. My doctor recommended taking off some weight first.

So I joined a few classes. I did water aerobics, cardio/resistance, and just recently started zumba.

So here I am down almost 30 lbs and tried running again. Every time I try I get shin splints and can hardly walk for days following. I am not trying to run a marathon here. I did C25K.. The first day is minimal jogging and more walking. I don't understand why I am getting these. Is it the norm? I bought a new pair of running shoes.. I'm stretching... :(

Any advice?

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Runningis awful. get a bike.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I was just going to post something like this, too. I've been walking around 3.5 miles per day at around 3.0 mph or a little more. Last night my calves were killing me half way through and I stretch too. Really interested in the responses. (sorry if I hi-jacked your thread).
  • Autumnsun26
    Autumnsun26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post something like this, too. I've been walking around 3.5 miles per day at around 3.0 mph or a little more. Last night my calves were killing me half way through and I stretch too. Really interested in the responses. (sorry if I hi-jacked your thread).

Haha thats okay I hope we both get the some answers! Because I love the way running makes me feel. I am not looking for an alternative. I just want some advice :)
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Well. The problem is most likely your running form. Most people have AWFUL running form. They land wrong, their back is bent, their arms fly all over... Watch some videos on it. :)
  • Natalya129
    Natalya129 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know you said that you ran before, but do you think it might be your new shoes that are causing the shin splints? I remember that I got really bad shinsplints in college - I'd been running regularly for a while, and I couldn't figure out why I was suddenly having problems until a coworker suggested that it might have been my shoes... my old running shoes had worn out so I'd bought new ones, and as it turned out the new shoes were the culprit. After a little bit of down time, I went to a running store where they watch you walk/run and help you figure out what shoes are best for how you run. I bought the shoes they recommended, and that did the trick and my shin splints didn't come back.

I highly recommend going to a running store if you haven't been before. I wish I'd done it years earlier! It could just be that you need a different kind of running shoe now than you did before, and you can go back to the kind you were using before once you're closer to your previous weight. (Congrats on the weight loss, btw!)

You might also try some strengthening exercises for shin splints to help prevent getting them again in the future. (Toe raises are supposed to be good for that.) I hope this helps, good luck!
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You could work on getting your leg strength up and try intervals in the beginning. It's been a while and your muscles and bones are probably not used to the intensity and impact that running involves.
  • yallcallmedeb
    yallcallmedeb Posts: 294
    Options
    I know that you said that you just got new running shoes but I would agree that the shoes are the culprit. Go someplace where all that they do is running shoes. They will check your gait and fit you into the right type of shoe. My guess is that what you bought will not be among their choices for you.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Start by walking. Maybe trot a bit. Keep walking. Jog a bit more. It gets easier. And what everyone else said. Buy running shoes at a running store, where they fit you and suggest shoes for your gait. My shoes were too small--like a size too small--for running.

And just keep at it.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Bike... I ran when I was in Germany cause the oxygen in the air was so rich.. and it was only 300 feet above sealevel... but now I'm back here in the US.. I use a bike...
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Running can be the best! keep at it..check out brooks...my life changed when I switched to brooks running shoes!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The issue with your shin splints are most likely caused by your bones not being strong enough to handle the beating you're putting them through. They're not used to running and you weigh more than you used to. Shoes can contribute to this as well. (No matter how much you like the ones you currently have.) No amount of stretching is going to prevent or cure shin splints.

What I would do in your situation is seek out a running store. Let them have you run on a treadmill to check your gait. They'll video tape your feet on the treadmill and play it back in slo-mo so you can see how your feet are landing and rolling. Heel striking in particular is notorious for causing shin splints. They can suggest corrections in form as well as fit you properly for shoes. The gait check is free and the sneakers shouldn't be any more expensive than anywhere else so don't worry about them robbing you. If anything they'll have better policies on returns than big box stores too.

I suffered shin splints years ago when training for Army basic training. I was heavier than I should've been and took on too much mileage too soon. My legs were fine with 2 mile runs, but I upped to 4 and quickly 6 mile runs, couple that with heel striking, and I was suffering shin splints until I figured out what was wrong and also invested in the right running shoes for me. I dropped my mileage back, corrected my form, and haven't had shin splints yet and now I average 15-20 miles a week.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Don’t fall into the trap of starting at a too high intensity. Paradoxically, the slower you go when you begin, the faster you will become in the end! “Base building” is by far the most essential part of your running. This will result in easy running in the future. Low intensity running for beginners is an excellent aid in avoiding overtraining. If, at the end of your workout, you would tell yourself: ’I could’ve gone a bit longer’, it’s a clear indication that you’ve been running at the right pace

Warming up is an excellent way to send your body a clear message that you’re about to become physically active. This way, your heart and legs could adjust properly. This’s how the ideal running warm up works: Start in a brisk walk followed by easy running for couple of minutes or so.

When you finish your running, take a few of minutes to cool down by running very slowly and walking in the last minutes of your workout. Finish with a stretch.

Maintaining warm-ups and cool downs greatly helps in reducing muscle pains which, in turn, improves your overall recovery process.

Cross training refers to other wonderful exercises that you could easily add to your running routine. They include swimming, biking, hiking, Pilates…etc. The beauty of cross training is that it helps increasing your fitness level while giving your running-muscles a break
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Don't torture yourself. I wont run because I won't take the chance of doing damage to my knee. I use a bike, too.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Start slow. Running along with mostly anything requires time and effort put into it. Working from my current situation, I started off at 354 pounds putting in a slug like 20 minute mile. Here I am a few months later clocking in a 12 minute mile. Each week my mile time is trimming down. Do intervals (in any period of time you see fit to handle), start slow and warm up, progress to some light jogging or speed walking, then go back to walking and cool down, and then take a nice little sprint.

GOod luck. Hope you can reach your goals.
  • FahadNaseem
    FahadNaseem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Same here and i hate running. I love biking though
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I"ve recently developed shin splints. Before that it was illotibial band syndrome in both legs. The body really isn't too fond of extended running.

I love running too though. Nothing gives me the same high.

The weight is probably still a big factor. I've heard runners say as little as a 10 lb gain can make a difference (and I'm talking about folk who started out at like 120).

Perhaps its the shoes, perhaps its the form, but with the sudden onset you had I doubt it. It's probably your bones and muscles being too weak in your legs. I hope its the shoes though :) I would try a different pair just to make sure it isn't that.

What I've sadly resigned myself to doing is sticking to walking/elliptical for now and start doing lower body weight training to try and build the strength up in my legs. When I start up again I will probably run at no more than a minute a whack and go from there.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I suggest new shoes as well. I had horrible shin splits and feet issues until I got the right shoes.

I ran my 3rd half marathon last weekend. Once I got there shoe thing fixed..there was no stopping me :drinker:
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I got injured running while I was in the military, and my physical therapist recommended an interval walk-to-run program. It went something like this:

Week 1 walk 15 minutes
    Week 2 walk 20 minutes
    Week 3 walk 25 minutes
    Week 4 walk 30 minutes
    Week 5 walk 5 minutes, jog 1 minute, 5 times (30 minutes total)
    Week 6 walk 4 minutes, jog 2 minutes, 5 times (30 minutes total)
    Week 7 walk 3 minutes, jog 3 minutes, 5 times (30 minutes total)
    Week 8 walk 2 minutes, jog 4 minutes, 5 times (30 minutes total)
    Week 9 walk 1 minute, jog 5 minutes, 5 times (30 minutes total)
    Week 10 walk 10 minutes, jog 10 minutes, walk 10 more minutes
    Week 11 walk 10 minutes, jog 15 minutes, walk 10 more minutes
    Week 12 walk 5 minutes, jog 20 minutes, walk 5 more minutes
    Week 13 walk 5 minutes, jog 25 minutes, walk 5 more minutes
    Week 14 run 30 minutes

Do anywhere from 3 to 5 times a week. Hope it helps!
  • Heathert24
    Heathert24 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the shoe advice!! I was trying to run in shoes that I thought were good, but boy was I wrong! Cannot stress how happy I was when I finally got properly fitted for shoes. I went from having shin splints so bad it hurt to walk to minimal pain in two days. Also, freeze water in paper cups. After a workout, rip the top of the cup off and rub down your shins. Feels great!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ditch the running and do HIIT sprints....easier on your shins..

I used to get shin splits but after a while they just went away ...I guess you could keep running through it but if you do not like, why bother?