Question about heart rate

Options
I have been VERY inactive for the past 2 years (circumstances dictating), and am trying to get into a more active lifestyle now.
I have a stationary bike that has a built in heart rate monitor, and on the low setting without putting as much energy as I would like to into it, my heart rate stays around 145-155... I've even had it spike to around 170+

What is the best way to work on getting my heart rate healthy? I don't have any medical problems, and am only 26. I'm trying to stay active to help take off these last 30lbs from pregnancy.

Any type of exercise routine you would recommend?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your heart. Get yourself healthy and your heart will follow. Commit to a solid exercise plan that has you working out 3-5 times per week while eating in a reasonable deficit and you'll be on your way.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You seem concerned about your heart rate but I'm not exactly sure why. You haven't listed any abnormal numbers. If anything, spikes of only 170 are pretty low for your age. I'm 7 years older than you and I can see 200 easily when really pushing myself. You mentioned getting your heart rate healthy, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Any heart rate that isn't zero is healthy in my book. Higher means you're working harder, which is pretty much always good.

If you're looking for exercise routines, a beginner's lifting program is always what I recommend. Go buy the Starting Strength book and read it from front to back. Then do their program, or Stronglifts 5x5, or New Rules Of Lifting, or something along those lines.
  • Heidisaidso
    Heidisaidso Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You definately can have an unhealthy heart rate... It would more likely be called an unhealthy heart rate. I only began walking for exercise, Doctors orders!!! My cardiologist just got my heart rate normal again. I was having problems with a higher than normal HR at resting, then began to experience some palputations, suddenly, I found myself in the hospital diagnosed with A-Fib. I am only 34 and have always for the most part been very healthy. So, my opinion, I would definately not just dismiss it like it were normal. It is better to be safe than sorry, I speak from experience. I have 3 children, and this was a huge wake up call for me!! Time to get healthy and looking to lose weight as I do. Good luck! :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your heart. Get yourself healthy and your heart will follow. Commit to a solid exercise plan that has you working out 3-5 times per week while eating in a reasonable deficit and you'll be on your way.

In the absence of a specific medical condition, this is the best advice.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options

In the absence of a specific medical condition, this is the best advice.

^
    Exactly. As long as you do not have any medical condition and your resting heart beat is nice and low.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, in order to improve your HR you need to push your HR. It's a muscle like any other. The more it gets pushed the better it becomes.

There are lots of different ways to achieve this, but one of the best things you can do is High Intensity Interval Training.

In a nutshell, go as hard as you can for 30 seconds, then slow down for 30 seconds. Do this 8 to 12 times.

There are lots of variations on this theme, and ways of progressing up to and beyond this point. For example, I now do 45 on, 15 rest, 12 cycles. It took me awhile to get here.

There are lots of great benefits to this, such as a lower resting HR, increased cardiovascular and cardiopulmonary fitness.

But, as has been mentioned, any good exercise program that you enjoy will improve your heart. So the absolute best thing you can do is find something you enjoy :)
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Here is the general formula for calculating your target heart rate.

First calculate your maximum heart rate which is 220 - your age:
    220-26 = 194

Your exercise heart rate should be somewhere between 50% and 85% of your maximum, for you:
    194 * 50% = 97 (min) 194 * 85% = 165

Personally, i target 85% when doing cardio. At 50 years old, that's 145. But in a 45 minute workout, i'll sit around 150-153 for a good 10 minutes of that. I try to slow down just a bit to get it under 150, but honestly, i've never had the slightest problem with "spiking" that high!

Sounds to me like you're doing just fine!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    On a bike at your age 145 to 155 is a good range for long easy rides that will build aerobic endurance. A few times a week push it harder to max effort.