Heart Rate While Running

Options
00trayn
00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
I've been sorta doing C25K for the past 2 months and I've finally worked up to warming up 5 minutes with fast walking and then running for as long as I can go. Today I managed to run for 16 minutes, which was 1.25 miles. I'm short so I run at 4.7 mph on the treadmill, but after a few minutes of running, my heart rate is sky high! Today it was hovering around 177-180 for most of the run and got to 183 when I was nearing the end when I couldn't go any longer.

My question... is this normal and safe? I cool down for at least 10 minutes after I finish running with walking on an incline. My HRM says 183 was 93% of my max heart rate. I could never carry on a conversation when I run now, but I'm guessing it'll improve and my heart rate will be lower as I get used to running. Anyway, anyone have any input? I'm really hoping it gets easier... haha

Replies

• capturethemoments3
    Options
    I don't have much input other than to say my heart rate hovers around the same as yours does. It has been getting easier for me! I would say as long as you aren't feeling majorily discomforted and your heart rate goes back down within a short time, you are doing fine.

Hopefully someone can help you more than I can, haha.
  • hannahlang85
    hannahlang85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How are you breathing when you run? The way you breath can affect your heart rate. If you concentrate and breath slowly in your nose and out your mouth with deep breaths that could help. Also maybe try running at 4.0, a little slower, and see if you can go a longer distance. Maybe you just have to work up to 4.7 a lilttle bit longer because your heart isn't strong enough yet. It's all about build up.
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think and hope thats normal! I run anywhere from 5.8 to 7.5 MPH and my heart rate averages 180.

Great job on running 16 minutes, that is a great accomplishment! You'll keep getting better! I don't think you should lower your speed at all, your heart rate should start to go down and thats when I would up your speed and run longer! :D
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I do a 5 minute warm up...start walking and gradually increase the pace every minute or so until I'm about at a run. I run for about 30 minutes or more. I do a cool down in reverse of my warm up (gradually decreasing the pace) usually for 5 minutes but will go until my heart rate is near my resting rate and then do my stretches. I do about 4-4.2 mph (I'm short too) but will increase it at intervals up to 5 or just over if I'm feeling saucy. When I started running about 2-3 months ago my heart rate would ALWAYS go through the roof--90+% and I can still get that high if I run a 5K race (I think I get more worked up then). Today my average was 69% and my peak was 81%. I for sure have noticed a difference and I'm sure you will too. It will get easier...I used to say I would only run if someone was chasing me :laugh: Now I feel blah if I haven't been able to do it for a couple days. I would just make sure you are listening to your body. If you feel it is too much then slow it down. Congrats on getting moving and good luck.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Probably your actual max is higher than you think--there is a big variation. The 220 max most calculations are based on is just a rough average. I am a runner, have been for years, and though I have been more fit at some times than others, my heart rate always runs high. I cannot pick up one foot off the ground to run without my HR shooting up to 155, and within minutes it is around 170-175. It stays there the whole time I run, whether for 30 min or 4 hours. Once I start to fatigue or if I run quicker, it gets up to the 180-185 range. Once I did months of this ridiculous heart rate training (like running SOOO slow I was practically going backwards) because my coach swore I could get my HR down, and 150 was the lowest I could ever get it while running. Gave up--I ran for three hours with my HR around 175 on Sunday--it's safe. Whether or not your running HR gets lower, I promise you will feel less like you are going to die soon, that is you will be able to tolerate that higher HR better soon. Good luck!
  • zeeohhsix
    zeeohhsix Posts: 41
    Options
    seems high to me my last run was basically at 6 sometimes 6.5 for 1 hour or 6 miles my max heart rate was 166

the one before that was 30 minutes 7.0 to 7.5 mph my max was 169

Im also 37 male weight 150lbs I really dont know if its high or low i can jsut give you my numbers to compare hope this helps a little
  • 00trayn
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I definitely focus on my breathing when I run, in thru the nose, out thru the mouth. When I get tired my breathing rhythm gets off since I'm focusing on pushing myself a bit further. Good to know it's safe... lol. Just wanted to make sure :D I plan to stick with running and I'm finding it's already easier than the first time I ran a mile. It seems the 4.7 mph speed works well for me now but it's good to know that I can increase it when I I find it to get easier. I always want to push myself further. I'm hoping to run a 5K in the fall at some point, I think I'm making good progress so far :D
  • flexmaster33
    flexmaster33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, slowing down when you go into a run (I prefer the term jogging) will help...I'd say you want your heart rate closer to the 140-160 range. The 4.0 mph suggestion is a good start...and yes, breathing and doing your best to find a comfortable rhythm will help. Of course, this all gets easier as you get into better shape, but it sounds like you're moving in the right direction!!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    My HR hovers in the upper 160's to mid 170's when training. Race pace, and up hill it will get into the 180's.

Everyone's different, you're certainly not alone in having high RPM's.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your reported difficulty/inability to carry on a conversation is more significant than the heart rate. As another poster commented an exercise HR higher than the 220-age figure can be perfectly "normal" for you. Your other comments suggest that you are pushing to an intensity that may be too high to do constantly. There is likely no health risk, but it may not be the most effective way to train. I would try slowing your speed a little for your continuous runs and doing interval workouts with higher speeds.

And don't worry about trying to breathe through your nose-just remember to breathe in a relaxed manner.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    hiya chick :flowerforyou:
    I have just started running/jogging and did a fair bit of research before I started. When exercising, you don't need to be out of breath to be strengthening your fitness or improving your cardio. There are five main levels with regards to exercise heart rate and the first four of them are highly beneficial to your fitness and health. The fifth one concerns maximum heart rate and it the info suggests that elite athletes cannot perfom for too long at this level. I would therefore think that your maximum heart rate is quite higher than anticipated by the 220 - (your age) calculation.

I have read in many places that you should not be able to hold a conversation whilst working out, although you should not be out of breath either. I will try and find the information about heart rate levels and post it back on this thread :flowerforyou:

Here it is http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/hrzones.php

P.s. when I've said "out of breath" above, I mean seriously out of breath :flowerforyou:
  • 00trayn
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I'm not uncomfortable when my heart rate is below 180, according to the chart on that webpage, I'm in the 3rd zone at that point. When I push myself to go a bit further for the last few minutes, that's when I think it gets into that highest level with my heart rate above 180. I think it'll just be a matter of training so that I'm more used to my heart rate as such a high level. I've been able to go longer and longer before my heart rate starts to get up to that really high level, so it looks like it's already improving. I'll stick with it and see what kind of results I'm getting in a few weeks. I've only been running longer distances for about 2 weeks now.
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    so happy to read this thread. I'm into this exercise lifestyle change about 4 months. I've lost 40lbs...and have started a S L O W jog (3.4) on the treadmill for one minute, followed by 2 minutes of walking....so I'm nowhere near the fitness level as all of you.

However, I mentioned to my trainer that when I run for that one minute--especially as I am 35-40 minutes into it, my HR SOARS into the high 170s. According to the generic 220 rule, my target HR is 146...um, when I lift my foot to start the slow jog, I'm already in the low 150s. LOL

Good to know that it's relatively normal and I look forward to my fitness level improving and not being concerned that I'm going to drop on the treadmill.

Oh--and I heard that the recovery of the HR is more indicative of a healthy heart than the HR itself...so if it decreases 10+ BPM within about a minute, you should be OK.

Good luck!
  • 00trayn
    Options
    My heart rate recovers pretty quickly. It'll be in the 160s after walking for less than a minute, and down into the 140s if I'm walking without an incline. My cool down after my run has been walking on a 2.5 incline at 3.5. It keeps my heart rate in the 150s and burns a decent amount of calories. I burn over 10 calories a minute during my runs tho.. whoot!