Feeling so hungry after upping calories?

Options
Hi all,

I've been eating an average of 1300-50 per day for the past 10 weeks (which i lost weight on) before upping my calories to an average of 1500 this week... But I am so hungry! Before, on 1200-1400 calories a day, I was fine. Sure, there were times I'd want to snack but it wasn't to the point that my stomach would feel completely empty and I could much more easily resist it.

Why is this happening? Should I give into my hunger and eat? I'm not sure if my body is telling me it's starved and I actually NEED to eat or if its just me being silly and I'm going to end up putting on weight on just lost because I'm misreading my body's needs.

I'm an 18 year old girl, 155cm (5'1) and around 63-64 kgs (140lbs). Activity levels are sedentary-light activity.

MFP says to maintain my weight I need to eat 1700 but to lose 0.5 pounds a week I need to eat 1450.
I do not want to maintain, but at the same time, I do not want to be eating to lose 0.5 pounds a week, so I've manually set my calorie goals at 1500 a day. Also, not sure if relevant but I tend to try and eat a little under my calorie goal by around 50 as I don't count my vitamins, tea, gum, mints etc and as padding for some of my other foods that may not be accurate.

Replies

• FlippinNora
    FlippinNora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert and hopefully those more in the know will come along soon but, I would say you've just woken up your metabolism a bit. My advice is, to curb hunger eat more protein and drink more (water/herbal tea etc).

Protein is a natural filler and your body loves it. You will feel sated for longer the more good protein and fats you consume.
  • fleuriefirst
    fleuriefirst Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I too am no expert - far from it - but I'm doing the 5:2 fast and find on the non-fast days I also go into hunger drive. Wonder if it's because some of those extra calories are sugars - Deadly!?! Just a thought. Also remember hunger pangs go off quickly if you don't give in. Just find something else to do to redirect your attention?
    Good lick (oops freudian - meant luck)::flowerforyou:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    open your diary so people can see what you are eating. it may be that you need more fibre and protein and the lack of this is making you hungry.

a good few doses of fruits, vegetables, lean meat and fish could sort it out.

:)
  • anniemarianas
    Options
    I can't see your diary but try eating less calorie dense foods, lean meat, fish, salads, wholegrain pasta, stuff like this.

I fill up very very quickly sometimes on dishes 100 - 200 calories, but while eating calorie dense foods i could quickly meet my calorie goal with a single meal but go hungry the rest of the day.

try small light snacks between meals, i have nature valley granola bars (100 - 200 calories per bar) and they keep me full for a while. also, coffee and tea sees me through a good hour sometimes!!

i hate being hungry so calorie deficits are very difficult for me but save your calorie dense foods for a treat when you're still under your calorie goal at the end of the day, a little pick me up that says 'you're eating well, good job!'
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Eat more low cal food, in this case size matters.
  • fleuriefirst
    fleuriefirst Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    agree with you! Also in addition to coffee, water, tea with no milk, I find a meat extract drink (stock, Bonox, Bovril, OXO???) great for feeling satisfied with virtually no calories, though they do bump up the sodium intake:flowerforyou:
  • changeyourlimits
    Options
    hi,
    It is hard to say what the difference is. It is probably not the change in the calories , but what you eat, when you eat, and your activity for the day. Foods with good fats and protein regulate your appetite. If you are not eating enough of these foods your insulin levels might be raising and lowering throughout the day making you hungry. It could also be that your are thirsty. Your body uses a lot of water throughout the day. It uses water to digest food as well. How much water are you drinking a day.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Everyone has some really good advice. My question is, are you close to having your monthly cycle? I know when I'm close to mine, I get more hungry. Just an idea.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert and hopefully those more in the know will come along soon but, I would say you've just woken up your metabolism a bit. My advice is, to curb hunger eat more protein and drink more (water/herbal tea etc).

Protein is a natural filler and your body loves it. You will feel sated for longer the more good protein and fats you consume.

I totally agree with this. By any chance though, did you up your calories with sugary foods? If so, that could explain why you are still hungry.