cheat night always seems to turn into awful weekend

Options

Replies

• vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My favorite weekends have been those where I was ready to spend a couple of evenings eating dinners with my wife not thinking about what or how much I ate but instead calmly controlled myself and enjoyed light, healthy meals instead. The Monday mornings afterwards were refreshingly fabulous. That contrasts with those rather hellish Monday mornings I used to have almost weekly. Given a moment's thought about those choices, there's no contest for me.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't get cheat days. Are you eating enough food? I wonder if that's why you go overboard on a cheat day or weekend.

I eat the foods I love and have no urge to have a cheat day. This is a lifelong journey, don't deprive yourself, just keep it within your calorie goals.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't have any 'cheat' meals... I don't see the point. I spent all my life stuffing my face and who did it cheat? Myself. I feel like we need to learn to live around food and

If you end up going out for dinner once in a while and decide to have dessert, awesome. I just think we need to relax around food

instead of hanging out for these sorts of things.

I agree with the above. I never quite got the idea of "cheat" meals. I try to maintain a healthy diet throughout the week, and it includes small portions of sweets at this point (I have reached my goal). When I was actively trying to lose weight, I logged everything. Usually one night a week we ate out, and I made it a point to log what I ate, even if it included a serving of french fries, or a piece of cake (food that I usually didn't eat). So yeah, there was one night a week that I might have been over my goal by as much as 300-400 calories but I never looked at it as an opportunity to order everything on the menu that appealed to me. The next morning was "game over" and went back to my healthy eating plan.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have moved from the idea of a "cheat meal" to a "treat meal" that I have saved up for. I lost 120 lbs 10 years a go and 2 years ago, I did start the "splurge" meal that became a Splurge weekend like you said and yes, I gained back 25+lbs of the original 120 I lost. However, I was not exercising and I was not tracking completely during the week. But, like some others have said, I'd go insane If I just didn't allow myself a meal where I can eat what I want. I deprived myself for 8 years and even skipped my birthday cake:( So, this time around, I am using mfp, tracking my calories carefully and exercising. I save some of my calories up for that "treat meal" I exercise a lot. If I didn't have this treat meal, I could cut my exercise almost in half. Right now, it is working for me. I am down 2 pants sizes and have just 1 and a half to go to get back to my goal weight. I do agree with you and previous posters that the "treat meal" is a slippery slope :( I do my most intense exercise on Saturday mornings and then have my treat meal that evening so I feel like I worked for it.
  • RangerJess
    RangerJess Posts: 32
    Options
    I was having this issue. Then instead of a cheat meal I've started allowing myself a cheat "item" so to speak. If I get up and go to the gym before work, then I can have that beer or that snack later in the day. What finally started clicking for me was seeing how many calories of what I exercised that one snack would take. You just need to stop beating yourself up over it. You've made great progress, so don't allow the guilt you're feeling from preventing you from continuing!

I don't know what your situation is, but what helped me on weekends (as I'm a weekend binger) was I got a second, part time job. The extra money is nice, and that's an extra day a week I'm not at home looking at my cabinets and picking at them. Maybe this is a bit extreme, but it's been working great for me (and staying on my feet for 8-10 hours that extra day burns tons of calories).
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    YES, it keeps you sane though. I have the exact same bad habit.
    I do TERRIFIC during the week and by the weekend, I eat everything in sight. Like I forget about eating healthy. lol
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't like the term "cheat". It implies something I should feel guilty about, so I really don't think in terms of "cheating". I generally eat pretty clean and I have incorporated into my lifestyle some treats that taste like luxurious indulgences to me, but are actually beneficial foods.

I use a lot of healthy fats, which I think is KEY to not needing "cheat days". I eat avocados, nuts, seeds, salmon, etc...and I add coconut oil or avocado oil to a lot of the foods I eat. The fats help keep me satiated for extended periods of time and my energy levels are through the roof.

You can add coconut oil to lots of foods. I make my salad dressings with it, add it to smoothies and my raw, cacao shakes (Mmmmm, chocolate!), I add it to my canned tuna (Packed in water tuna), to give the tuna a nice fatty mouth feel.

Figure out ways of making beneficial, chock full of nutrient foods, sinful tasting to you. There are so many great ideas and MFP members post a lot of great recipes too.

My latest revelation...
    I love my one, 16 oz. cup of coffee each morning. It is a ritual I do not want to give up. For the last couple of months, I've been creating my own, high-protein coffee creamer, using Tera'swhey Grass-Fed Organic Whey supplement and almond milk. AWESOME and creamy! Today I experimented with added a teaspoon of coconut oil to the creamer when I mix it. Holy cow! I wouldn't have thought my coffee could taste any better than it already had, but this was the best. So, now I've found yet another way to incorporate a healthy fat into my daily intake. :)

I bet it would be great for making chai tea too. I'ma try that next.

Who needs cheat days? :D
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    One more thought. A lot of people have good weeks and bad weekends, especially when starting out. Don't make your cheat day Friday. Mine is either on Sunday or Tuesday. It helps greatly because the structure of the weekdays keeps the day after cheat day from turning into some sort of food bacchanalia
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    As part of my daily calorie allowance, I make room for treats (sweets or takeout) so I don't feel the need to "cheat". I understand where you're coming from though - so maybe just don't put yourself in that situation if you know it will tempt you.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I don't really do cheat days. What I do do, though, is eat all the unhealthy foods I really like. And often I have exactly *half* of them. So last night hubby and I shared a pizza, tonight we'll share a burrito. That sort of thing. If I ate a whole burrito I'd stuff my day for sure, but half a burrito tastes *just as good* as a whole burrito, and fits into my targets pretty well.
  • nomorepizza2
    nomorepizza2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I got some great advice on this forum that really helped me re: cheat days.
    Don't plan them. If you plan a cheat day then you'll have time to gather supplies and fantasize about all the goodies you'll plough through. Plan to keep on your diet and stick to it as best you can. If you do happen to fall off the wagon (and everyone on this site has!), don't punish yourself emotionally, that will make things worse. Use the binge as motivation to work harder in the following days.

One other thing I've learned that's really helped me is the wonderful world of egg whites! I boil up a bunch of eggs, discard the yolks and snack on the whites during the day. Great low-cal hunger killer for us salad-dodgers!
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    when i first started trying to lose weight a few years ago i gave myself one cheat day every week - because that is what body for life said to do. but i found i was essentially obsessed with food all week because i would think about all the things i wanted to have on saturday. and then when saturday came, i'd try to cram as much crap in, just *because i could*. i don't think this is the real intention of a cheat day and i think it only hurts your efforts. at the end of the day it's calories out vs calories in. i think it's fine to spike your calories once a week or so, but you're probably only hurting yourself if spike more than 500 calories over your normal amount.

now, i basically just have what i want (within reason) but i make it fit in my calories. i don't have a cheat day perse, but if something comes up like a dinner with friends or something, i will eat over my calories. however, i do try to compensate in some way either by working out a little extra or by holding back 100 calories for a few days beforehand or after.

i've found that i don't need a weekly cheat day, and i don't miss it. i have those bingey, go over your calories by a lot days, but they are more like every week or two (sometimes even more infrequent) instead of every saturday.

last night i really wanted a cookie. you know - those huge, awesome chocolate chip cookies you get at the bakery? instead i had some 3-2-1 cake which, although not as amazing as a cookie, satisfied the craving.

i agree with not planning your cheat days. take them as you need them and try to plan accordingly.
  • albertwisdom35
    Options
    I have started recording them... It definitely help me take a little easier.
  • alexisdc
    alexisdc Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I read an article with Jillian Michaels about if your starting out with this weight loss thing to try to do 80/20 = 80% of your calories are good healthy food and 20% is the things you crave and make sure your moving moving moving :) DavPul mention incorporating some of those things in with your daily food. This can help, BUT be real with yourself (I have fallen in this trap myself) controlling the portions. I figured out that based on this 80/20 I can have 427 calories of something I enjoy, crave etc. Depending on what it is this may not be as much as I really want to eat (lol). But I have this mantra I say to my self "is this gonna taste any different if I eat a the smaller portion or the larger portion? " my answer is always no. I am just trying to satisfy my palate and eating the smaller portion is going to do that. Its rough, it will take time to become a mindful habit of keeping those food low :)
  • alicecee92
    alicecee92 Posts: 16
    Options
    My suggestions would be to either:

a) Cut out "cheat days" entirely. No cheat meals, all healthy all the time.
    b) Have a cheat snack / meal every day and slowly cut back. Seems to me like you're missing your usual diet so when you get a chance to go back to it you're going nuts!

Keep at it lovely, you can do it! :bigsmile:
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have learned enough about myself to know that cheat meals/days in the way some people use them will not work for me. In the past, it has turned into cheat months and resulted in regaining everything I had lost. No, just no, to that.

What I do now is incorporate things into my daily menu. For 150-250 calories, I can get a taste of whatever, and I can fit that in my day, any day I want. Weekends are sometimes rough from a social eating perspective, so I push for higher activity so that I can up my flexibility (today, it's pizza, and mowing the lawn).

So many ways to cheat (or not), I know you will figure out something that works for your short and long term goals. :flowerforyou:
  • sharonlvinson
    sharonlvinson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I have a problem with fast food myself. I know my eating is connected to emotions. It's not like I really want the chocolate or the McDonald's its like something to make me feel better, but it makes me feel worse in the end. I like what u said about giving up soda. I'm going to challenge myself to not have any soda. I've tricked myself into thinking its ok as long as its coke zero. Thanks I needed to read that
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    How about rather than having "Cheat days," you substitute what it is that you are craving? Here are a few of mine....

A Big jucy cheese burger = Turkey burger/Sara Lee's 45 Cal bread/slice of provolone/ handful of sweet potato fries

A big ice cream sandwhich = Whipped Cream (or frozen yogurt) between Graham crackers frozen

Buttery popcorn = Boom Chicka Pop Popcorn at 35 cals per serving

Potato Chips = Pop Ins (air popped)

Brownies = No Pudge Brownies (made with plain greek yogurt)

Spaghetti and meat balls = Spghetti Squash and Turkey Meat balls

Shrimp Fried Rice = Chopped Jicama with chicken, peas and carrots

Backed Apple Pie = Granny Smith apple with cinnamon in the microwave sprinkled with crush graham cracker

They won't be the best answers all the time but it sure beats setting yourself up to have a full day of unhealthiness in the long run
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a "treat" every week, which before I dieted would commonly be ice cream or a slice of pie. Lately I've just been getting a fruit smoothie from Orange Julius and hubby gets ice cream. Well last night I decided that I've been busting my butt all week and deserve that slice of pie. Got my favorite - peanut butter cream. Took a couple bites and... I was disappointed. It just wasn't good. It tasted like I eating spoonfuls of sugar, it was sooo overly rich and sweet. I couldn't even finish it. It's amazing how your tastes change once you don't have that sugary junk for awhile.