i went over my calories :( what do i do???

Options
i went over ( the first time) yesterday, but all my other days i have always been under by at least 200 calories. I probably was about 400-600 over ( hubby and I snacked on some cheese sticks and homemade chips and dip at a sports bar, i had 2 cheese sticks and probably half of the chips, should I deduct maybe 500 calories from today? or keep on my target of 1200 calories, help?

Replies

• c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You eat to your target calories every day. If you went over yesterday, so be it. You should always net 1200 calories, anything else is way too low.
  • rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Going over occasionally is not a big deal. Plus if you are under for the week it all evens out. Getting freaked out about it and starving yourself the next day will just make it harder to stay on track.
  • ChristieeSmith_x
    Options
    If you've been under a lot going over now and then won't make a difference. Keep at 1200, that's probably less than your body needsto function anyway. :)
  • peanutsbuddy
    peanutsbuddy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you will go over your calories, that happens. It's okay to have a treat once in awhile. The fact went over cannot be changed now. Maybe pump up the exercise a little more this week. Please don't get too bent out of shape over it. It's okay to have a off day once in awhile as long as it doesn't become a habit
  • BreytonJay
    BreytonJay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i would say just stick to your normal caloric intake today. it's best not to fret about what happened yesterday and just move forth knowing you'll do better. like people say you didn't put on the weight because of one night, so don't expect it to come off in one night (or for one night to completely ruin your plans) don't stress too much :)
  • anniemarianas
    Options
    Your body can naturally accomodate a binge or two, it'll even it out and you probably wont even see the scales even budge!!
    In the long run, this will do nothing, and in the short run (besides making you feel a tad guilty) it won't do much either!

Just look after yourself and stick to the goals, if you're under or over by a couple calories doesn't really matter, as long as on average you're hitting the right amounts.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Ritual suicide is traditional.

I kid. ;)

Honestly, don't sweat it. If you're on the pound a week plan, you ate at maintenance for one day. Even if you went WAY over, it's still not a big deal because it was just one day and one day does not derail a journey. You've got this! Just eat your normal cals today and move on. :D
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    first thing.... don't stress! You didn't go over by much. If you are gonna get worked up about it, you are going to feel awful about yourself. It happened as it is going to sometimes, its not a big deal. You didn't go crazy and eat the whole house.

Tomorrow is a new day, don't ever cut back on cals the next day to make up for going over the day before...that's the quick way to sabotage yourself. You'll be so hungry you'll never make it through the day without stuffing your face.

You'll be fine! :smile:
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Do NOT deduct from a 1,200 calorie target. Ever. Anything less will be just as detrimental as the overeat... Count those under days as payment for yesterday's splurge.

If you really feel bad about it, do a bit more exercise than usual. If you want your weightloss to last; accept that there are going to be off days... You cannot live your life entirely clean, it's not sustainable and you'll end up driving yourself mad with guilt everytime someone has a bloody birthday! ;)
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    You are fine. Forget about it.

I go over by a lot once a week on purpose. I think it serves a purpose, but I have no studies or medical gobbledeeguke to support it. My weekly average always ends up right on target because I am under the rest of the week.
  • IMD918
    IMD918 Posts: 49
    Options
    lol, don't feel so guilty. It's not that serious, lol. Just try to be under your daily goal as consistently as possible. Everybody goes over from time to time. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    One day doesn't ruin your progress. You ate at maintenance- no big deal. I personally look at the week not the day (phone has weekly calculations). Going out an having fun is needed.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You ate what my daily goal is. It takes 3,500 extra calories to gain a pound of fat. You may see an increase on the scale from sodium and whatnot, but it will not be fat and it will go away quick. You need to have days like that. Unless you are planning to never have treats again for the rest of your life. You need sustainable goals. I ate pizza for supper last night, went up 2lbs this morning,most likely from sodium, and I don't care one bit. You move on and don't even think about yesterday.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    i went over ( the first time) yesterday, but all my other days i have always been under by at least 200 calories. I probably was about 400-600 over ( hubby and I snacked on some cheese sticks and homemade chips and dip at a sports bar, i had 2 cheese sticks and probably half of the chips, should I deduct maybe 500 calories from today? or keep on my target of 1200 calories, help?
    Starve yourself today to make up for it. Okay, not really. Nothing. Today is a new day. :-)
  • WilhelmCF
    WilhelmCF Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    YOU DID WHAT???
    RUN, KID, RUN LIKE HELL!!!

Seriously, Run about 10 minutes, or walk about 30 or so. Bring your sweetie. Your heart will thank you and those calories will be history.
  • 72maureen
    72maureen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    thanks everybody, reading all of your comments made me feel so much better!!! thanks again for all of your input!!!
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options

One of the main reasons why I don't count calories..way too stressful.

You need to ask yourself.. ARE YOU A NUMBER? I'm not. I only eat what my body needs (daily macros)
    as long as your hitting your protein/carb/fat grams each day, you will be fine. Don't fret over the small stuff.

I hope you have a better day.
  • 72maureen
    72maureen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Another vote for doing "nothing". I would just try to stay on track with the 1200 today.
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Just get over it! Life happens! Don't stress yourself for 500 cals over 1200 which is probably how much u should eat anyway... Please calculate TDEE and deduct 20% for weight loss...Do u think u can sustain 1200 cals every day, for the rest of your life? Just my two cents...Good luck in your journey!