out of calories for the day, what do you do?

Options
13»

Replies

• deemar54
    deemar54 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My daughter just turned three, and she LOVES when we youtube workout videos and do them together. If you want to exercise, do that. I bet you when yours sees you doing it, s/he will start up too. It's that monkey see monkey do phase. If not, eat a reasonable dinner and move on. It's just one day.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I usually just have a plate of veges.
  • stacydawn75
    stacydawn75 Posts: 23
    Options
    Once I'm out of calories, I'm done eating. I thought that's how this works? :P But seriously, you have to learn to work within your goals. If you give yourself permission to use all of your calories and then eat more, you're not really learning to make better choices. One day or a day once in a while won't hurt, but you need to be careful not to let it become a habit. Try planning and logging your day in advance.

^This. I plan my day in advance, so I know the calorie allowance I have to work with. If I know what's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I can adjust snacks accordingly. Your food looked pretty good, except for lunch! Well done!
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Agree with the comments about eating a healthy dinner and start fresh tomorrow. However, I would also look at why you ate too much for lunch - were you really hungry, had you eaten a decent breakfast etc? Was it a planned meal out or a spur of the moment thing?

If I know I'm going out for a meal, I try to look at a menu online and plan what I'm going to have. Also, I usually have a small snack and drink before i go so I'm not ravenous when I have to choose my meal, thereby reducing the risk of making a bad choice and/or eating too much.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    damage control!

exersice and salad meal and you should catch up! :bigsmile:
  • Hoosier96
    Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My overeating was absolutely spur of the moment. I briefly thought "one won't be enough" (knowing it would be) and got two thinking "just in case". It's my typical problem: portion control. That's why I am back here...I need to see what a lack of portion control means in real numbers, black & white print. :) p.s. the toddler squats were no joke. She was clamoring for more and I had to tell her "tomorrow". :)
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I always eat Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner no matter where I am at with my calories. But, I don't allow myself any Snacks once I'm over...
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I would not try and totally make up for it. If you're on the 1200 calorie plan you probably have your goal set to lose 2 lbs/week, which means a 1000 calorie daily deficit. If you're hungry, there's no reason why you can't eat even 300-500 of those to have a reasonable dinner. That will still leave you with a deficit for the day. It's not cheating, it's recognizing that if you starve yourself for the rest of the day you'll be likely quite hungry tomorrow morning and starting off at a disadvantage.

This is a learning process.

totally agree! this happens, move forward don't try and make up for it. don't beat yourself up, another day you'll be under or do a load of exercise,
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'd call it a maintenance day and have a good dinner. If you haven't logged in a while there is no reason to go straight from calorie surplus to calorie deficit - you can just log for a week aiming for maintenance and then take a look and see what changes you could make.

It took me about 9 weeks before my deficit was consistent, and even though I was under-/over-eating on some days I lost a fair bit of weight during that time as I was on average in a deficit.