Help! Should I make any adjustments?

Options
I have finally reached the point where I am now focusing on losing the last 20 pounds. I have been eating 1200 calories per day plus eating back exercise calories. I have decided to bump up gym time from 3 days a week all cardio - to 6 days a week cardio (3 days treadmill and 3 days elliptical, as I am training for a 5k in June) for 45 minutes and then following that with the weight circuit machines. I work out at Anytime Fitness.
It feels like I have been going up and down losing and gaining the same 2-3 pounds every week.
Not sure what steps I should take to help my body finally drop these last 20 pounds.
Any and all help is appreciated - diary is open. There was a few slip days, but I still log it to keep accountable(not proud, but accountable). I am 5'2" and am an accountant (equals desk job for 8-10 hours a day)
Thank you!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My adjustments.

1. Set account to 1 lb per week.
    2. Adjust macro's to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats
    3. Drop 3 -4 days of cardio and replace with 3-4 days of heavy weight lifting.
    4. Don't worry about weight, worry about cutting body fat.

More than likely, you will be eating 1700-2100 calories a day.. which aligns to almost every women I know.
  • NekroFelicia
    Options
    Thank You Psulemon!
    Why does the thought of eating 1700 calories a day scare me???? Current macros are 30% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fats - I will make the adjustment. Would I eat back exercise calories?
    So keep the running ( I rotate in between treadmill and outdoors - I live in Wisconsin and have to adjust based on the weather).
    As for Heavy Lifting - where do I start?
    The local Crossfit gym has an orientation session coming up should I give that a try?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I set my macros at 30% protein, 35%fat, 35% carbs and eat nearly 2000 calories per day...but I weight train and only do small amounts of steady state cardio (because I was losing lean body mass with too much cardio).

You need rest days - preferably 3 each week - and I agree that you should drop some cardio and start weight training - it is way more effective for fat loss and improved body (protection from osteoporosis, increase in LBM, etc).

Finally, I would suggest setting your goal at .5 per week...the last 20 goes crazy slow
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    huh??? u look amazing how much do u currently weigh??? 20 lbs wtf
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thank You Psulemon!
    Why does the thought of eating 1700 calories a day scare me???? Current macros are 30% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fats - I will make the adjustment. Would I eat back exercise calories?
    So keep the running ( I rotate in between treadmill and outdoors - I live in Wisconsin and have to adjust based on the weather).
    As for Heavy Lifting - where do I start?
    The local Crossfit gym has an orientation session coming up should I give that a try?

I don't know why that many calories scares you.. i know tons of 50+ year old women on it, especially when working out 6 days a week. Crossfit is a good way to start or look up stronglift 5x5, it's a good beginners workout routine you can do at the gym.

What are your stats, height, weight?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I set my macros at 30% protein, 35%fat, 35% carbs and eat nearly 2000 calories per day...but I weight train and only do small amounts of steady state cardio (because I was losing lean body mass with too much cardio).

You need rest days - preferably 3 each week - and I agree that you should drop some cardio and start weight training - it is way more effective for fat loss and improved body (protection from osteoporosis, increase in LBM, etc).

Finally, I would suggest setting your goal at .5 per week...the last 20 goes crazy slow

I would disagree that you need that many rest days as long as you aren't working the same muscles several times a week. I only have 1 rest day (and it's usually filled with golf) and haven't experienced any fatigue.
  • NekroFelicia
    Options
    huh??? u look amazing how much do u currently weigh??? 20 lbs wtf

Currently at 140 at 5'2" - looking to tone up and drop body fat percentage -
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    ok...here it goes..definitely watch the heavy cardio..DO STRENGTH TRAINING!! another biggie..vary your calories thru the week 1400 one day 1700 the next 1200 , 2000 etc, this is a big secret:)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Man I am good.. I just ran your numbers and i would suggest eating 1700 calories daily and do not eat back exercise calories as it's factored in your TDEE. Between this and heavy weight training and minimized cardio, you should see fat loss. Don't stress weight loss too much.
  • mercymarque
    mercymarque Posts: 450
    Options
    I agree with the other poster. You want to lift heavy. You don't want to go to light. The lifting is going to tone your body. Take before pictures and measurements. You may see the scale go up some, this is muscle gain. Eat as clean as possible, this will also give you a nice toned look. You will need the extra calories to perform the lifts. You want to eat plenty of protein. You can eat all your calories prior to exercising. Check out bodybuilding.com. It's a free site that will give you tips on lifting, instructions and video. Jamie Eason has meal plans and exercise plans. She has a 12 week program that you can print out. You can continue to do cardio but you should do about 20 minutes. Good luck
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    How do you change macro's?
  • NekroFelicia
    Options
    Thank you again - I will look up info on getting into heavy lifting - 1700 still terrifies me 0_0! Should I slowly increase the calories, say starting Sunday bump up to 1300 a week, then 1400 starting the following Sunday?
    I have to keep up with the running training, I was never a runner and have decided to train for the Milwaukee Brewers Community Foundations 5K and the Run For Your Lives Zombie 5K in September.
    I hope the heavy lifting guys that are usually in the gym don't look at me like I am nuts when I venture over to that section..
  • NekroFelicia
    Options
    I agree with the other poster. You want to lift heavy. You don't want to go to light. The lifting is going to tone your body. Take before pictures and measurements. You may see the scale go up some, this is muscle gain. Eat as clean as possible, this will also give you a nice toned look. You will need the extra calories to perform the lifts. You want to eat plenty of protein. You can eat all your calories prior to exercising. Check out bodybuilding.com. It's a free site that will give you tips on lifting, instructions and video. Jamie Eason has meal plans and exercise plans. She has a 12 week program that you can print out. You can continue to do cardio but you should do about 20 minutes. Good luck

Thank you - I will google her now :)
  • NekroFelicia
    Options
    Man I am good.. I just ran your numbers and i would suggest eating 1700 calories daily and do not eat back exercise calories as it's factored in your TDEE. Between this and heavy weight training and minimized cardio, you should see fat loss. Don't stress weight loss too much.

Dead on - you are good -
    Here is to starting something new!
  • NekroFelicia
    Options
    How do you change macro's?

Click on Goals and then click custom - then you can customize all entries - there will be drop down menus for the macros - make just make sure they add up to 100%
  • NekroFelicia
    Options
    ok...here it goes..definitely watch the heavy cardio..DO STRENGTH TRAINING!! another biggie..vary your calories thru the week 1400 one day 1700 the next 1200 , 2000 etc, this is a big secret:)

How would a week be set up on something like this? More on training days less on rest days? Do you take what your total for the week would be (say 1700 x 7 = 11900) and vary the daily amounts throughout the week? What are the benefits of this?