Exercises while sprained ankle heals?

Options
So i just sprained my ankle pretty bad during my hike today... So no more running, hiking, or impact workouts until it heals.

I need ideas for how to burn lots of calories while it heals??? Anyone have experience with trying to lose weight with an ankle injury? I really have no clue what i can do that burns lots of calories but doesnt involve bearing weight on my ankle. Thanks!!

Replies

• eriijanette
    eriijanette Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    a great way to burn calories is doing circuits with little to no rest in between exercises.
    a circuit as simple as 30 sec pushups, 30 second sit up, 30 second triceps dips repeated for 5 minutes will have you huffing and puffing. You can easily make a circuit with 3-12 different exercises (up to you because of how your ankle feels).
    Another bonus of exercising this way is: when you're at rest the next day you will be burning fat for the energy your body needs to repair your muscles.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    When I sprained my ankle. I did lots of upper body stuff, used dumbbels a lot like throwing punches with them . Lots of push ups or plank stuff then ab work
  • ashgav
    ashgav Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump I'm curious on this too but with my ankle only modified push ups would be an option :(
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I've hurt my ankle a bunch and seriously, just take a few days off and let it heal.
    Otherwise, it'll keep coming back.

But on the days mine is a little achey and can't take running, I've used the arc trainer since it doesn't have any impact on the ankle and doesn't jar it at all.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Upper body stuff is great! Years ago I broke four bones in my foot and sprained my ankle pretty badly. I got an exercise bike for at home and used that almost daily. I made sure my foot and ankle were supported properly and wrapped properly to ensure it wouldn't hurt the injury I had.

If you have access to an exercise bike you could try that and see how it works for you. Just ensure you properly wrap your ankle and stop if you feel any sort of pain at all.

Otherwise, try to focus on whatever upper body stuff you can do. Focus on your diet as that's the main part for losing weight.