Eat back your calories

Options
Let me first start off by saying sorry if this is a dumb question but I am new to this. Exactly what does everyone mean when they say eat back your calories? I am doing between 1200-1300 calories as my goal a day. I do zumba 6 days a week which burns off about 600-700 calories. So if I am eating saying 1250 one day and I burned 700 doing zumba that means I only ate 500 calories. Is that healthy for me and will I lose weight or should I be eating more calories?

5'3
Female

Replies

• hardyjessicag
    hardyjessicag Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Heh, I was confused by this to.

I'm sure someone will be able to answer this question MUCH better than me, but to put it simply; yes.

If you are only netting 500 calories a day, your body is getting too few calories. I know it seems crazy (it does to me at least) because i feel like i eat enough, even though i'm exercising. I'm currently trying to up my calorie intake, but it can be hard when you are being so active.

You will probably still lose weight, but it can negatively impact your body. It could also start to put your body in starvation mode, which can make the weight loss harder.
  • strwberri5
    strwberri5 Posts: 15
    Options
    That's what I was thinking to. So much info out there that is confusing lol.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    My calories are set at 1200 to lose 1-2 pounds a week,

If I burn 500 calories in a day.I'm supposed to eat that back so that I'm still at 1200.

I usually do best when I eat back at least half.
  • strwberri5
    Options
    My calorie intake is also 1200 and I burn about 700 a day so I need to up my calorie intake to 1900. WOW! Any good suggestions on foods that can get me to my calorie intake? I usually just eat chicken and fish, but maybe I should put rice back in my diet. I am so new to this lol. Any suggestions would be great.
  • avababy05
    Options
    My calorie intake is also 1200 and I burn about 700 a day so I need to up my calorie intake to 1900. WOW! Any good suggestions on foods that can get me to my calorie intake? I usually just eat chicken and fish, but maybe I should put rice back in my diet. I am so new to this lol. Any suggestions would be great.

I have difficulty eat it all back myself but some things I really like to snack on:

Air popped popcorn,Almonds,Laughing cow cheese....and sometimes sweet potato fries.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat back enough to be at 1200 net (calories eaten- calories burned = net calories), so you will be fine. If I am really hungry, I eat all my exercise calories. Otherwise, I just make sure I am over 1200 net.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, avocado, sweet fruits (bananas, grapes, pineapple) unless you have a medical condition where you have to limit sugars, full fat milk, full fat salad dressings, butter, olive and/or coconut oil, nuts, cheeses

Anything calorie dense will help boost your calorie intake in a hurry.

Hope this helps.

(I am still getting used to eating so MUCH of the "good" stuff myself, so any other suggestions will be appreciated.)
  • strwberri5
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I think I will try to eat about 1900 calories so that when I do Zumba I burn 700 calories which will bring me back to 1200 :) And now I need to make a list to do some grocery shopping lol.
  • strwberri5
    Options
    Not sure whats so funny, but that's what my Polar heart and calorie watch says. And actually there are a few people in my class that has different watches and monitor that come close to that count.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Here is good info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

This will explain most of the basic questions you have.
  • avababy05
    Options
    Not sure whats so funny, but that's what my Polar heart and calorie watch says. And actually there are a few people in my class that has different watches and monitor that come close to that count.

Check out her other posts and take what she has to say with a grain of salt.:smile:
  • strwberri5
    Options
    I will check out other post and it doesn't bother me what she said. People have their own opinion and that's ok.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options

Check out her other posts and take what she has to say with a grain of salt.:smile:
    yea, pretty rude.......but it's the internet, people say stupid stuff on here all the time. Things they woudn't say to someone in person lol. I'd ignore it and move on....Good luck to the OP :flowerforyou:
  • strwberri5
    Options
    Gotta love the internet lol. I don't focus on negativity :smile: Thank you
  • jesssi1984
    jesssi1984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Plus it's totally possible depending on weight, because I was calculating around 500 cals/hr for myself when I was going to class! The less you weigh, the less you burn. And it also depends on how much effort you put forth. Some people are just rude!

But to answer your original - yes, just make sure you're getting your 1200 at least!

I eat back all of my calories until the app no longer says "you're going to put your body into starvation mode!"
  • nomorepizza2
    nomorepizza2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    As to how many calories you're burning whilst exercising, no-one really knows, it's all estimates, even with your heart rate monitors.
    I find that eating back about half of my exercise calories seems to answer.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    1 hour of me on the stairmaster when I was 200 lbs burns 500 calories. at a moderate pace and i had a higher BMR than you do

I dont think zumba will burn 600-700 calories.

Heart rate monitors do not work properly and are an inaccurate way to measure daily energy usage.

anxiety can stimulate tachycardia which can be similar to be sprinting but one is using movement and the other one isnt.
    Same thing goes to muscle repair post workout. It does not factor that in.

Eating back your calories used doesnt make much sense.
    You should eat at a certain deficit and at your weight and assuming your TDEE you should probably eat 600 calories under your TDEE and still be fine for quite a while.

you could eat at even a lower caloric intake if you can handle it mentally.
  • gingersnaps828
    Options
    bump
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    1 hour of me on the stairmaster when I was 200 lbs burns 500 calories. at a moderate pace and i had a higher BMR than you do

I dont think zumba will burn 600-700 calories.

Heart rate monitors do not work properly and are an inaccurate way to measure daily energy usage.

anxiety can stimulate tachycardia which can be similar to be sprinting but one is using movement and the other one isnt.
    Same thing goes to muscle repair post workout. It does not factor that in.

Eating back your calories used doesnt make much sense.
    You should eat at a certain deficit and at your weight and assuming your TDEE you should probably eat 600 calories under your TDEE and still be fine for quite a while.

you could eat at even a lower caloric intake if you can handle it mentally.

and then what? lose weight faster?