Protein question

Options
smwooley
smwooley Posts: 133 Member
Help me please! I have a terrible time getting enough protein in. Which, if I eat 1 gram per lean muscle, should be about 130 grams. I don't think I've hardly ever even been above 100. I'm not a big meat eater, and I know protein shakes would help but they're sooo expensive. Anyone have suggestions on good ways to get protein in? Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Replies

• Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Tilapia- You can buy a huge frozen bags for 8$ at Walmart
    Protein Bars~Also at Walmart
    Beans~Soybeans are one of the few plants that contain complete proteins your body can use. They are also high in omega-3 fatty acids, tryptophan, iron and vitamin K. Half a cup of soybeans contains 37 g of protein. Other types of beans and legumes include pinto beans, black bean, snow peas, and lentils.
    Dairy products, such as milk, yogurt and cheese, are among the best non-meat sources of complete protein
    Whole Grains~include any types of rice, bread, or pasta that still retains the bran and germ
    Nuts and Seeds~This category of food includes almonds, cashews, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and pistachios
  • ChristinaK69
    ChristinaK69 Posts: 249
    Options
    Yep, What she said...
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Yep, What she said...

Heeeeheeeee
    How bout a gif??

7.gif

Eat all the fishy's
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Lentils. They are inexpensive, you don't have to soak them, and they cook in about 30 minutes. Eat with brown rice and veggies.

The protein in one cup of lentils = the protein in 3 eggs.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Everything mentioned above.
    Also, protein shakes CAN be expensive if you buy a powder like Vega, but there are plenty of other protein powders out there the are WAAAY cheaper.
  • smwooley
    Options
    Tilapia- You can buy a huge frozen bags for 8$ at Walmart
    Protein Bars~Also at Walmart
    Beans~Soybeans are one of the few plants that contain complete proteins your body can use. They are also high in omega-3 fatty acids, tryptophan, iron and vitamin K. Half a cup of soybeans contains 37 g of protein. Other types of beans and legumes include pinto beans, black bean, snow peas, and lentils.
    Dairy products, such as milk, yogurt and cheese, are among the best non-meat sources of complete protein
    Whole Grains~include any types of rice, bread, or pasta that still retains the bran and germ
    Nuts and Seeds~This category of food includes almonds, cashews, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and pistachios

I do eat a lot of fish; I actually have tilapia in my freezer right now!! While I'll eat a protein bar after I work out, I'm hesitant to eat it other times just because of the calories (around 200). I don't think I've ever had soybeans...I'll have to look into that! Unfortunately, I hate pinto beans, black beans, and lentils *blech* I do eat a lot of dairy; it's probably what I eat most of other than fruit. I did not realize whole grains have protein!! I rarely eat bread, pasta, etc at all. Basically, I think I need to just start making protein a priority in my diet. You've all given me some great ideas (did not realize about the beans and whole grains!). And I'll start eating more nuts and seeds (love those!) Thank you!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    In my experience protein bars, shakes and all alot of times have so many calories along with being expensive, or they taste horrible. I would try anything else but prepared or made for you like bars and shakes.

Try Quinoa, lentils, beans, chicken, fish. There are all kinds of sources there have been other threads about this. Google, bing, or whatever your preference is.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Expensive? Whey protein powder is the cheapest £ per gram of protein on the planet. Chicken breast per gram of protein is 4 times the price
  • smwooley
    Options

Try Quinoa, lentils, beans, chicken, fish. There are all kinds of sources there have been other threads about this. Google, bing, or whatever your preference is.

I think I need to google how to make lentils taste good :-P I didn't realize they had so much protein....
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I use Isopure Dutch Chocolate Whey Protein powder. I buy a 7 pound canister from Amazon for about $100 and it lasts me nearly 4 months - so I buy three a year and end up spending $25 per month.

It has 50 grams of protein isolate and only 3 carbs - about 220 calories (but I always add peanut butter). Well worth the bang for the amount of protein, in my opinion.

They have smaller packages, too, but the bulk is cheaper in the long run.
  • RUNNINxRIOT
    RUNNINxRIOT Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is an ongoing issue for me. I'm a vegan so most protein sources come with calories; i.e. nuts, beans or grains like quinoa. It's hard for me to get my weight in grams of protein without going over my calorie intake which would cause bulking. Spinach is a nice source, but I can only eat so much of that in a day, so I think perhaps a daily protein shake is necessary, whether I'm working out or not. I've not been doing this, but I think I may start. Bottoms up!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm only going to offer a little suggestion.

Make sure your protein source is protein, and not a ton of carbs with a little protein. A little carb is fine, but if you're looking at a protein source that isn't mainly protein with an appropriate level of fat, it's probably not an optimal one.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I meet my protein goal (115g) most days, and pretty much have to have a protein bar every day (big bonus, they really fill you up). I love quest bars because they're low on carbs and sugar, and have a ton of fiber too. Otherwise most of my snacks are cheese or greek yogurt, and I eat meat, eggs, fish.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

I think I need to google how to make lentils taste good :-P I didn't realize they had so much protein....

Mix veggies with them (onions, mushrooms, carrots, etc.).
    Add a tablespoon of tamari, a type of soy sauce.
    Dry roast sesame seeds in a pan and add a tablespoon.
    Lentils have almost zero fat and no cholesterol compared to eggs.
    1 cup has 240 calories, 40 carbs (out of 165 allowed for the day), 18 protein, 1 fat.
    1 egg has 6 protein and 5 fat.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I am about 60% vegetarina nd always am low on the protiesn. If you are eating healthy i would be hesitant about buying prepackaged ffod from places like Wal-Mart. Just be sure and check all the ingredients.

I eat alot of beans, lean turkey at times, nuts and things like that.

Good luck.

Also i always recommend reading Forks over Knives and Hungry For a Change. In movie form too.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions. Too many meat and potato people have no idea of the goodness of tasty stuff such as tilapia, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds. Much better on micronutrients too.

I use this formula to calculate protein goals.

Weight in pounds / 2.2 x 0.8 for sedentary individuals
    Weight in pounds / 2.2 x 1.8 for high-exercise individuals

Is there any benefit at all going beyond this?
  • smwooley
    Options
    Expensive? Whey protein powder is the cheapest £ per gram of protein on the planet. Chicken breast per gram of protein is 4 times the price

This? Not helpful.
  • smwooley
    Options
    I'm only going to offer a little suggestion.

Make sure your protein source is protein, and not a ton of carbs with a little protein. A little carb is fine, but if you're looking at a protein source that isn't mainly protein with an appropriate level of fat, it's probably not an optimal one.

hmmmm....hadn't thought about that. Thanks!
  • smwooley
    Options

Mix veggies with them (onions, mushrooms, carrots, etc.).
    Add a tablespoon of tamari, a type of soy sauce.
    Dry roast sesame seeds in a pan and add a tablespoon.
    Lentils have almost zero fat and no cholesterol compared to eggs.
    1 cup has 240 calories, 40 carbs (out of 165 allowed for the day), 18 protein, 1 fat.
    1 egg has 6 protein and 5 fat.

Thank you!! I will try this!
  • smwooley
    Options
    Great suggestions. Too many meat and potato people have no idea of the goodness of tasty stuff such as tilapia, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds. Much better on micronutrients too.

I use this formula to calculate protein goals.

Weight in pounds / 2.2 x 0.8 for sedentary individuals
    Weight in pounds / 2.2 x 1.8 for high-exercise individuals

Is there any benefit at all going beyond this?

I completely agree with you. I figured at 1.5 since I exercise usually 5 times a week (cardio for 45 min then weights for 30). It just seems like soooo much haha