over 300 lbs and riding a bike

Options
So I would like to start riding a bike, i am 313 lbs (down 5 since may 1st). and I haven't been on a bike (that wasn't a stationary one at the gym) in 3 years. I was 100 lbs less than, and it was HARD for me and i was not going on any hills. so i am really nervous about doing it again this summer. any heavy people who ride bikes? or anyone who started out around my weight and was riding a bike at 300+ lbs? any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm about 250 and ride my bike almost daily. I have a women's Schwinn cruiser bike with a basket. No gears. I live in Appalachia, so I do a lot of pushing it up hills and coasting down hills. When I find flat land, I love it. My relationship with my bike though is probably not normal. I feel in a different place when I'm out riding my bike. It makes me feel free somehow. I dig my bike and the person it makes me and the way it feels to contribute to my environment and be free of motor vehicles. I love it. So much so that I should probably be on some strange addiction show. :laugh:
  • csch79
    csch79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Take a look at bikeforums.net. You might find some helpful information there too.
    http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/248-Clydesdales-Athenas-(200-lb-91-kg)
  • ItalianFire91
    Options
    how long did it take you to do ride a bike without stopping?
  • miissnessa
    miissnessa Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting to ride a bike, what you do is just do little by little a day. Take a slow bike ride down the block. Don't overwork yourself. Do what you feel is right and when you get too tired or it becomes uncomfortable or hard on you, stop. Then the next day, try to go a little longer on the bike. Each day, add more distance and time you spend on your bike and before you know it, you'll be able to ride it without getting too tired or even stop! :)
  • ItalianFire91
    Options
    thanks!
  • kathym1122
    kathym1122 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel when you are on your bike have the same feeling it makes me feel completely free
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    No good riding a cheapo bike at that weight, I was constantly popping spokes when I started riding again so had to get some wheels handmade so they were upto the job.
  • ItalianFire91
    Options
    i am going to get my bike fixed soon, i haven't used it in 3 years and it needs to be put together. i am going to look for a better bike seat. any suggestions for a good bike seat?
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    CSCJ beat me to the punch...