Low carb breakfast ideas?

Options
I currently have toast and jam in the morning then the rest of my day is low carb (salad for lunch, chicken and veg for tea) but I want to try low carb breakfast too. Anyone any ideas?
Fruit won't do it for me . I have a very sweet tooth so something I could put a small teaspoon of jam / chocolate spread on would be good. (I know they're bad but I eat Healthy all day and its only a small quantity)
Anyone any ideas? Would be much appreciated!!!

Replies

• Taylorferguson1
    Options
    egg white omelette, they are the best and surprisingly sweet tasting
  • brazilnut05
    brazilnut05 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ah, but fruit is nature's candy!
  • buffty
    buffty Posts: 83
    Options
    3 rashers of bacon, mushrooms fried in olive oil, 3 eggs (scrambled/fried/poached) = ZERO carbs, that's right!

Mushroom and cheese omlette, also zero carbs.

Sometimes I'll make an omlette with cheese, onion, red pepper and a few green chillies, yum! Just a few carbs in the veg.

Don't worry about the fat from the bacon, eggs and cheese, as it's natural fat.

Enjoy!
  • CatMcCheesey
    CatMcCheesey Posts: 143
    Options
    Google protein pancakes. There are a ton of good recipes for them out there.

Edit: Here's a helpful thread. They taste great with a little low sugar jam on them.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/961244-protein-pancake-recipe
  • anniemarianas
    Options
    mm this is difficult because i find the lowest calorie breakfasts in my cupboards are 2 ryvita biscuits with low cholestrol butter & marmite or 2 weetabix with skim milk (the prior being lower in cals)

I would suggest googling it but to be honest it really doesn't matter what you have for breakfast as long as you're having something, so eat whatever you'd like :)

Breakfast serves the purpose of kick starting your metabolism but it really really doesn't matter WHAT you eat to do it with.

Just avoid breads and cereals and eat how you feel
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I normaly have 2 eggs dry fried not fat or oil

sometime gluten free toast with peanut butter

Omelet, ham, cheese, onion, cheese
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I always have 2 or 3 eggs cooked in whatever way appeals to me that day with either a side of veggies (usually just sautee a bunch of things together) or with veggies mixed in to the eggs (scramble, omelette, etc.). I like fresh salsa with my eggs, and I usually have a side of whatever meat is hanging around the fridge. I often have a handful of fresh berries.

Sometimes I just have leftovers from whatever I've cooked the night before.

I've also enjoyed a cheeseburger wrapped in lettuce.

Breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast foods.

I think doing a sweet breakfast is pretty difficult if you're trying to stay low carb, but perhaps something like the protein pancakes that were suggested, some sort of smoothie using veggies and berries with a scoop of whey protein or some raw eggs, or you could look into low carb baking. I don't like to get elaborate with breakfasts because I always cook big dinners from scratch, and I can only spend so much time cooking.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    porridge.
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My favourite breakfast is porridge. Oats are relatively high in carbs but they're complex carbohydrates which means they keep you fuller for longer thanks to the slow release of energy. They are a source of protein and full of fibre. It's really diverse in the sense that you can cook it any way you like and it takes no more than 5 minutes to prepare.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-p75K4NmCTew/T0jiSrCtq6I/AAAAAAAAAXs/xiWG1lcrRYA/s1600/Oatmeal+Health+Benefits.jpg

If you're still looking for something low carb you could always have quinoa porridge, otherwise fruit is really good for breakfast.

http://doughnutsnomore.tumblr.com/post/48559817105
  • leslieirving1970
    leslieirving1970 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Im on a high protein breakfast. Have been for a couple of months and it really helps keep the hunger-pangs away! I have 150g of lean steak, chicken or turkey with 25g of almonds. It takes a week or two to get used to it but I love it now.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Porridge with jam is yummy, or with honey if you have a sweet tooth

I have porridge constantly, I have it with strawberries, blueberries an sprinkle lots of cinnamon on it,,,,so yummy hot.... Try it
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Porridge with jam is yummy, or with honey if you have a sweet tooth

I have porridge constantly, I have it with strawberries, blueberries an sprinkle lots of cinnamon on it,,,,so yummy hot.... Try it

every day. its epic.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    mmmm my breakfast are usually eggs. you have a ton of ways of makin them.

i usually (lately i love it) have one whole egg two whites omlette, i add in some ham or sometimes some home bacon mmm a bit of mozarella, and sometimes veggies, or i just slice a tomato on the side and have it... sometimes i add a bit of cottage cheese...yup protein overload but that is what i like and it keeps me full wuite some time.

at times when i workout early in the morning i have my protein shake mixed with one banana on top of the omlette...

im not really a bread person...and i kinda cant love oats :D
  • brazilnut05
    Options
    Lately I've been on a puffed millet kick. 1 cup of puffed millet is only 60 calories and 11 carbs. I mix it with 1/2 cup of Silk Vanilla flavored soymilk (50 calories, 5 carbs) and usually add chopped fresh strawberries or blackberries on top. Without the fruit, say hello to a yummy 110 calorie breakfast with only 16 carbs. You're welcome.
  • Beachbabex
    Beachbabex Posts: 9
    Options
    Wow such fab responses! Thanks guy I'm gonna give these ideas a try! Brazilnut05 where do you get your puffed millet from?
  • Beachbabex
    Beachbabex Posts: 9
    Options
    Lately I've been on a puffed millet kick. 1 cup of puffed millet is only 60 calories and 11 carbs. I mix it with 1/2 cup of Silk Vanilla flavored soymilk (50 calories, 5 carbs) and usually add chopped fresh strawberries or blackberries on top. Without the fruit, say hello to a yummy 110 calorie breakfast with only 16 carbs. You're welcome.

Thanks for reply ill be giving it a try! Where do you get your puffed millet from?
  • hidensee
    hidensee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    unsweetened greek yogurt with any fruit you have stirred in. High protein and you get your fruit! or you could stir your jam or chocolate into it.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    bacon eggs fruit

what else do you need?
  • brazilnut05
    Options
    Wow such fab responses! Thanks guy I'm gonna give these ideas a try! Brazilnut05 where do you get your puffed millet from?

The only place I could find that sells it is Whole Foods. The brand is called Arrowhead Mills. It comes in a bag, not a box. But I'm sure any "healthy" or organic grocery market sells puffed millet. You should definitely try it! :wink: