Personal Trainers

Options
Susieout
Susieout Posts: 102 Member
What do you think of them, are they a waste of money or money well spent?

Also their hourly rate isn't cheap, plus they have no outlay!

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    there are good trainers and bad trainers. interview them like you would a potential employee. find out their credentials and what kind of success their past clients have had. make sure they are compatible with you and your goals. uh... make sure you have goals to give them. don't just say something like "i want to be in better shape" or something like that. tell them you want to learn to squat and dead lift, or do a pull up. or whatever.

also, you don't have to get a PT for every single day. you can hire one for once a week, or every other week.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If I had the money I would use one. One session a week to keep me on track. You will work harder with the trainer as they will (should) push you beyond where you would yourself.
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    For me it has been money well spent, but I had a session with one that wasn't good years ago (didn't listen to the fact that I have back issues and my back was not good for a few days). Find one that listens and works with you.
  • Susieout
    Susieout Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    there are good trainers and bad trainers. interview them like you would a potential employee. find out their credentials and what kind of success their past clients have had. make sure they are compatible with you and your goals. uh... make sure you have goals to give them. don't just say something like "i want to be in better shape" or something like that. tell them you want to learn to squat and dead lift, or do a pull up. or whatever.

also, you don't have to get a PT for every single day. you can hire one for once a week, or every other week.

Thanks, will do!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I think they are worth the money, if you can find a decent one.

My first trainer was crappy and full of himself. My second and last trainer, were both fantastic.

I agree that you need to go in with a set of goals, and a mindset. Tell them exactly what you want to do, and how can they help you achieve that. Make sure they mix it up with free-weights/machines, and give you your own routine.. not a routine that they give every single person.
  • fluffhead123
    Options
    Anyone know how to get other exercise apart from cardio to show in calories on your planner please, I do a weights workout for 30 mins every other day
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the trainer and what you're looking to get out of it.

My experience with LA fitness trainers:
    They're more salesman then knowledge, they're trying to get you to sign up for packages. Some of the most god awful advice I've ever heard come out of a human's mouth was from one of these trainers. I already had a routine and everything going in, I got a free session so wanted to check it out. He told me "burning fat is 60% cardio, 30% lifting and 10% diet" at which point I think I tuned about everything else out. He didn't care that I already had a routine, I had to do "his". Subsequently I saw about 30 people at the gym on the EXACT same routine ,which I actually think they might have standardized for everyone.

Now I actually DID hire a trainer a little later. I was lucky enough to find a local pro lifter that owns his own gym. He was slightly more expensive (on a per session basis), but it was definitely worth it IMO. Super nice guy, that was very helpful and I got exactly what I was looking for. I only got 3 sessions with him because I wanted advice on improving my technique, and each of them "ran over" the time I bought by about 50% (supposed to be 3-1hr, but ended up being 1.5hrs+ each). He took my base routine and made some suggestions regarding it (mostly adding a couple extra lifts to improve accessory stuff).
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    Finding a good personal trainer is like finding a good chiropractor. They are out there, but you have to dig through a heaping pile of idiots before you find one. I think that for people who don't need a boost to their motivation it is more beneficial to educate yourself than it is to hire a personal trainer. If, on the other hand, you are one of those people who needs someone to hold you accountable for showing up at the gym, then you could benefit from having a trainer.
  • animelose2012
    Options
    Mine was time well spent. He helped me lose 60lbs and i find to work out by myself i dont push myself as hard or enjoy the workouts.
  • alisonsouth
    alisonsouth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have absolutley no knowledge in this field,all I can do is comment on what I see at my gym and my gym only. There are around 5 personal trainers there. All they seem to do is show people how to stretch properly for about half an hour,and then do a quick 5 minute whizz round on all the different machines. Thats unless you are young and beautiful! You get LOTS of one on one chatting,flirting,hands on shoulders touchy feely time. I have never seen any of these personal trainers actually train.ever.They walk around with their clip boards ticking things of their list. I joined the gym 3 or 4 weeks ago,at 240 lbs,had never been to a gym in my whole life,and I really feel as though I am doing better than the people with personal trainers,personally. Im an absolute beginner and am 7 lbs down (not much to some,but im pretty darn proud!) Aslong as you are dedicated and focused,you can do anything yourself,without someone training you and telling you what to do.If i ever need any guidance,the other gym staff are more than happy to help. But as the other guys have said,Im sure there are fantastic ones out there...just not at my gym! haha! Wishing you all the best :) x
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Anyone know how to get other exercise apart from cardio to show in calories on your planner please, I do a weights workout for 30 mins every other day

If you go under the cardio section and type in weightlifting it will come up there and give you a calorie count. Then I think what others do is just add the actual reps/set etc to the notes to monitor it.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Definitely worth the money if you find one who's knowledgeable and more interested in your goals than his/her own. Mine is worth his weight in gold. I've been working with him for 6 weeks and have lost 8.25 in. so far. He's constantly watching my form and correcting it any time I'm not paying attention (which he's having to do less and less now :) ). And HIS biggest goal: to get me to a point where I'm comfortable training without him.

Best of luck to you on finding a trainer for yourself!
  • fit_grrrl
    fit_grrrl Posts: 32
    Options
    Definitely worth the money if you have a set goal in mind and can find a trainer who are into fitness themselves.

Might be a strange thing to say but after watching some of the PT in my gym I've finally chosen someone to help me bulk in August and I chose him because of the following:

The details on his facebook page has the following comments:

Oh and ladies, get off the treadmills and please start lifting! Squat, Deadlift and Lunge at least

You dont need to spend hours in the gym...results come from training smart, eating right and getting rest. Too much cardio can hinder fat loss and have the reverse effect, go HIIT for 20 mins 2-3xweek. switch your focus onto resistance and freeweights, if needed seek advice

When I watch him with his current clients he only interested in them and not what's going on around him where some of the other PT get distracted by pretty girls

One of his current clients he has her doing pull ups and she has some great guns
    He's one of the only PT I see with his clients in the weight room

When I spoke with him he actually listened! and seem as excitied as me about my goals

So check them all out and watch them with their current clients as this will give you an idea on who to chose.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have a good one. I use my PT for lifting and he has taught me everything I know and given me the confidence to use the weights room on my own in my male dominated gym. There are 8 PTs who work out of my gym, and most seem OK.

My PT works hard, and his day can run from 6 am to 8 pm. The PTs at my gym are self employed, not allowed to approach clients direct (they have profiles at reception and work on recommendations) and pay the gym commission (so they do have a financial outlay).

I would recommend using one, but I would suggest scoping out how they operate with other client's before employing one. That way you can make sure you find one who matches your goals.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No outlay?
  • workavoidance
    Options
    90% of the absolutely suck. It's essentially an industry of people who look good, and like to work out, and decided to try to make a few bucks off of personality, but without real skills or knowledge. I like small classes because you get the benefit of a personal trainer without the cost. If you find a trainer that you work really well with (it is a bit like finding the perfect mate) you can see if they do private lessons. Also, I'd look for someone who does some kind of competition... an actual athlete.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Finding a good personal trainer is like finding a good chiropractor. They are out there, but you have to dig through a heaping pile of idiots before you find one. I think that for people who don't need a boost to their motivation it is more beneficial to educate yourself than it is to hire a personal trainer. If, on the other hand, you are one of those people who needs someone to hold you accountable for showing up at the gym, then you could benefit from having a trainer.

Yup.

I use one. He's helping me get ready for a powerlifting competition in August. There are MANY bad ones out there. I don't know what PT costs in your area but for me it was $2200 for 30 sessions (stupid Manhattan prices). If you're going to use one, make sure you know what you're getting into and that it'll be worth the investment.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Yup.

I use one. He's helping me get ready for a powerlifting competition in August. There are MANY bad ones out there. I don't know what PT costs in your area but for me it was $2200 for 30 sessions (stupid Manhattan prices). If you're going to use one, make sure you know what you're getting into and that it'll be worth the investment.

RT, what kind of comp are you doing?

I might actually go back to the guy that I got training from, for a little "meet prep" type thing. I've not done anything like that yet, as I want to be leaner before I even try to compete. I went to the Arnold Sports Festival last year and watched the USAPL championships. It was awesome and humbling as hell.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    RT, what kind of comp are you doing?

I might actually go back to the guy that I got training from, for a little "meet prep" type thing. I've not done anything like that yet, as I want to be leaner before I even try to compete. I went to the Arnold Sports Festival last year and watched the USAPL championships. It was awesome and humbling as hell.

The USAPL New Jersey State Open Powerlifting Championships in August.

If you want my advice, don't wait to lean out. If you plan to compete, just do it. It'll never be the 'perfect' time to go for your first competition.

I do quite enjoy working with my trainer. He's strong as hell, knowledgeable, and has a similar personality to mine. It was money well spent.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I hired a personal trainer - she was great. She even helped me with some PT for my knee. The only downside was that I still fear burpees to this day. I need to drop about 50 more pounds before I can do 10 burpees in a row without nearly killing myself. I still have the routine she gave me. Just focusing on cardio right now.