why is running not considered "leg day"?

Options
my leg muscles feel absolutely taxed after a long run

i dont even get that feeling when i do squats, calf raises, leg press

yesterday i did a long run and today i used the stationary bike at 3-4 levels higher than i normally do. my legs got STRONGER.

so why would running not be considered the ultimate leg workout?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You're not squatting heavy enough. Running is cardio and hurts your gains.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options

I don't understand the "hurts your gains" bit
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    I think that Leg Day is when you work to bulk/strenghen your legs which happens when you squat. I'd say sprinting instead of running for a long time is a Leg Day. I could be wrong though. *shrug
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Running, and anything you can do for an extended period of time without fatigue, is a cardiovascular exercise that trains endurance. Your legs are not getting stronger from running. Are you squatting with an amount of weight that you can only manage 5-8 reps? A strength building workout has you hitting muscle fatigue in a matter of seconds, not of minutes.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    "hurts your gains " - running might burn muscle if your protein intake is not high enough - but if you are not seriously trying to build muscle, it's no big deal....
    I run and lift weights because I love both...Eat lots of protein to retain muscle...
    Running is not considered a "leg" day because it is a lot more cardio than resistance....
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Well, I suppose you can call it whatever you want, but typically when one refers to "leg day" they mean strength training with weights, not cardio exercise.

If you're squatting and not feeling fatigued, you're doing it wrong. Throw some more weight on that barbell and perhaps increase the volume of work.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    you are comparing apples to oranges. Running world and lifting world are pretty much separate things.

Just try to balance your squats VS runs.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    running is to leg day what clapping would be to chest day.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Long distance running builds stamina/endurance, that's why you feel stronger. But it does not build muscle. Look at marathon runners compared to sprinters. Who has a better physique? Female sprinters/jumpers in my opinion have a more pleasing physique than long distance runners. This isn't a rant on runners, as I have ran long distance events across the UK and other countries.

A traditional leg or lower body day has something like squats, deadlifts, some hamstring work and maybe some calves. Ask a trainer to check your form and routine to see what it's like.

I don't understand the "hurts your gains" bit

She means doing too much cardio and not eating enough protein and not doing strength training will reduce lean muscle mass. Reducing lean muscle mass is something you DO NOT want to do.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Hurt your gains???? So are we not allowed to do any cardio ever if we lift, according to you?
  • deeray
    deeray Posts: 103 Member
    Options

^^This :laugh:
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Best response ever, love it.
  • Refr_Quicksilver
    Options

^^ LoL,, great analogy...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Running and heavy squats focus on two different types of muscle fibers.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that you could use the muscles built up in your legs during strength training for some purpose like maybe running faster and further? I could be wrong.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Running is cardio.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that you could use the muscles built up in your legs during strength training for some purpose like maybe running faster and further? I could be wrong.

That different muscle fiber could indeed help you get up that short hill quickly, sadly using a lot more carbs than your endurance muscle would normally do it with going a tad slower.

But farther, no, faster, yes. Hence lifting for sprinters.

To OP's comment, you can also feel the same soreness day after a really long endurance aerobic run as a lifting session, in both cases you've torn up muscle that now needs healing.

But I've only felt that during one time, end of half-ironman tri, not even a marathon recovery day feels the same to my legs.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    There are muscles for standing, walking, long distance running, etc. Then there are muscles for burst movements, heavy lifting, and the like. Your legs are composed of both muscles. When you run you are telling your body to improve that type of muscle and when you lift to improve the other type. If you combine both your body appears to split the adaptation of muscle.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Using your legs isn't as simple as building your legs. There are different types of muscle fibres, they work differently in different situations.
    I was a sprinter before I had kids, 200m. I had big muscular legs. Long distance runners had long lean legs... running for a long time doesn't require strength or power, it requires endurance.... different thing entirely from power .... different fibres in the muscle are built in long distance runners. I never saw a long distance runner with big or muscular legs... if you want muscular legs squat or sprint :bigsmile:
  • Roadkatt
    Roadkatt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Jennifer- if you were a bodybuilder then you would need to worry about how much and what type of cardio you do as you wouldn't want to 'hurt your sins' which means you are losing muscle mass. This happens with to much cardio and not enough protein. Bodybuilder s who compete are more worried about muscle size and don't stress cardio although they do some. An endurance athlete would be just the opposite as you are then stressing the cardio rather than the muscle size or strength.

If you aren't either of those and either exercise for weight loss/control or because you enjoy the activity then all you really need is to find a happy mix of both. Do some weight training because you will be more tone and your metabolism will be higher causing you to burn more calories with any activity. But also do some cardio to keep your heart and lungs healthy.

Hope this helps some!