What's your physical aliments- due to being over weight.

Options
santd
santd Posts: 234 Member
What physical aliments have you suffered from as a consequence from being over weight. Looking at my long list motivates me to continue addressing my problems, and slowly get rid or improve on them all.

mine are:
1) from 2006-2012 very high blood pressure, taking lots of tablets, which I could stop taking in 2012, and pressure is now normal.
2) arthritic left ankle- that's painful.
3) Both Knees need replacements.
4) Right hip- painful.
5) high cholesterol 2006-2012, normal now, off tablets.
6) arthritis in both shoulder joints as my boobs were far to big, and my bra straps dug into my shoulders for too many years.
7) Aching lower back
8) 3 years of cardiac test 2006-09 due to chest pains.

That's motivation enough for me, to lose the weight.

WHAT'S YOURS? BE HONEST.

Replies

• santd
    Options
    It seems no one is suffering any consequences to their bodies, from being fat, well done everyone. its just me being too fat, and I'm suffering.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am not 100% sure if my weight is entirely to blame, but it has definitely affected my blood sugar and cholesterol. Due to my triglycerides being so high I also have a problem with my pancreas.
  • mizzhogbear
    mizzhogbear Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Both my knees are knackered lol
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    No new ailments but the long term existing ones got a hell'a lot worse!

Bad back, knees, hips and neck (I won't bore you with medical terms) and riddled with arthritis. The extra weight on my joints and spine forced me to get my prescribed anti-inflams and painkiller mg and dose increased.

I also started snoring, which the boyf LOVES as you can imagine ;-)
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I have a long list of ailments that may or may not have been caused by my weight all these years, but will most definitely be helped by my weight loss.

High blood pressure (on medication for the last year)
    High cholesterol
    Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot
    Arthritis in both knees and ankles
    Lower back pain
    Extreme tiredness

The fact that my 85 yr old mother gets around better then I do is also a motivator!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Horrible reflux here, and high cholesterol. I haven't got it checked but I'm guessing it will be fine next time, I wasn't that far over. Reflux is completely gone (but I stick closely to my fat macro). I snore less too apparently, but even when my weight was fine I was still snoring (so my ex said).

That's about it. My main health issue is asthma and weight won't have any effect on that.
  • santd
    Options
    We all seem to be suffering from the same things here, I think one can say its related to over weight.
  • Sav_Sky
    Sav_Sky Posts: 82
    Options
    I am extremely fatigued, stressed, and have prehypertension. its hard to get out of bed in the morning being a mom and college student it makes my life a lot more difficult.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have physical ailments just from being handicapped. The extra weight added that extra burden that simply made life miserable.

I remember nightly bouts of reflux quite often. SO happy those are gone, and just the general lack of energy and always being tired was a drag. I also suffered from bad circulation in my feet, and high blood pressure.

All gone now.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    According to my doctors:
    - high blood pressure
    - partial blindness (Pretty sure it's early glaucoma, but ophthamologist doesn't care)
    - eczema
    - ear infections
    - gout
    - edema
    - sinus infections
    - ingrown toenails
    - chronic depression
    - suicidal tendencies

Basically, whenever I go to a doctor for a medical problem, I get the prescription of "lose weight". :yawn:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I have mildly high blood pressure. Both of my parents have heart disease (though neither of them was ever obese and neither ever smoked, it's just a genetics thing). I've had high BP even when I wasn't this large, but I'm sincerely hoping that losing the weight will improve my own BP.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    1. Reflux! (OMG - heartburn from air!)
    2. depression - messed up hormones, is my guess
    3. fatigue - all the time
    4. general achiness all over
    5. sore joints
    6. High cholesterol/triglycerides

Happy to report that every one of them is gone. every one.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have joint mice in my right knee and it hurts a ton because of, what seems no other reason than, my obeseness. It still hurts after losing all the weight I have, so I'm thinking this will be a forever thing, like I screwed up my ligaments or something.
    I've stretched out my skin so much that it's not bouncing back. I have what appears to be a "mommy pooch" from being fat. I've never even been pregnant so that's really depressing and sucky.
    In 2011 I was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure at 22... TWENTY-TWO... It wasn't terribly high, but it prevented me from getting birth control at Planned Parenthood. They wanted me to go to my General Practitioner... my highest BP was about 170/110 which is bad, but I've heard of worse... My mom has worse... I took pills and got it down to 150/85 then I took myself off the pills and worked with my diet and exercise and now my BP is 117/78!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Reflux
    Boils in the pouchy belly area from time to time
    Loss of interest in sex from being embarrassed
    Bad back
    Hips and knees hurt a lot

But it's getting better day by day.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I love this post and seeing how people's health is improving! I am still a work in progress, but the heartburn is gone and I am sleeping better. I feel happier and more energetic, which means I am more active and getting more done (which is a very positive spiral).
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    KNEES ........

I don't know if my weight is totally to blame but I'm sure they would be alot better off if I could drop this 35 Lbs. My nephew says they sound like pop rocks!! Makes intense workouts REALLY hard.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    At my biggest (23stone at 5ft 3) I had:
    * high blood pressure
    * pain in my joints when I walked
    *I snored so loud I had to sleep in the spare room - not great for my relationship
    * repeated sinus infections
    * repeated yeast infections under my stomach

Now 10 stone off I only get the yeast infections but not as often. I know that is due to saggy skin but I can soooooooo deal with it.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I have mildly high blood pressure, and the last I was measured, my blood sugar was one point short of pre-diabetic. My biggest troubles have been with hormones - the extra weight had pushed them out of whack, and caused serious time-of-month pain and hirsutism. It was enough for me to think I had pcos. Fortunately, I do not, and a combination of birth control and weight control has greatly lessened the impact of these symptoms.
  • refinley2
    refinley2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Permanent slouch, as my shoulders curve inward to support the weight of my awesomely massive cans.
    Poor circulation, my hands and feet are always cold and look like cadaver parts.
    And higher blood pressure, extremely irregular menstrual cycles (I miss months often, which does not help with the stress of being overfat), lowered immunity to pesky staph infections, and all the stretch marks, hairloss, and morbid looking monster veins on my body are really just poison to the psyche.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    none. I had very good bp, blood work, great digestive health,
    had lots of energy when I wasn't depressed (which wasn't related to weight)
    I credit this to the pretty healthy food I ate before mfp, just in the wrong portions.