Here it is, 1 year on MFP

Options
Otterluv
Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
I started out on MFP a year ago, with a significant amount of weight to lose. 15 years of crappy eating, a sedentary lifestyle, and an undiagnosed thyroid disorder had left me at 298 lbs (I’m 5’3” tall). Though I wasn’t unhappy in my life, I knew that I was missing out, and my weight bothered me both physically and emotionally. Once my thyroid was managed, it gave me the push and the energy level to try, yet again, to get myself under control. Though I was fortunate and hadn’t had any major health issues crop up, I knew that at 39 years old, it was only a matter of time. I did not want to leave my husband a widower, or be in the position of him having to care for me, which would be difficult for him to manage if I weighed any where near the 300 lbs that I did at that point.

It shocked me when the weight began to come off once I started tracking my food intake. A couple of weeks in, I started to add in exercise. My fitness level was pathetic, I could maybe walk a couple of blocks (agonizingly slowly) before getting winded. We bought me a recumbent stationary bike. With the resistance set at its lowest setting, I could go for about 5 minutes before I had to take a rest. Gradually, the time in between rests got shorter and my total time increased. Within a couple of months I added in the elliptical, and felt like I was going to keel over after a few minutes. But, I kept pushing. Throughout the summer I went on ever longer hikes, choosing ones with hills to climb. On a lark, I added in running and lifting. I’m not going to lie, running was tough. I did C25K, and wore my HRM just to assure myself that I was not, in fact, on the verge of death after 30 seconds of running.

In the past year, here is what I’ve accomplished: I have lost almost 70 lbs., I went from barely able to walk for more than 3 blocks to trail running for over an hour, I started out in October squatting my bodyweight to squatting 170 lbs and deadlifting 185 lbs. It hasn’t been easy, but it’s been worth it.

To those starting out, my advice to you is to take your time. Don't starve yourself, take a maintenance break now and then (I'm on one right now). Give yourself many areas in which to see success, strength train early. I can tell that when I get down to where I want to be (size wise), I am going to be thrilled with my body and with what it can do. I’ll be able to climb ropes, scale mountains, and run for miles. The adventures that I’m going to be able to go on will be amazing. Just watch me do it.

October 2011, close to 300lbs. Size 28-30
cmthmRe.jpg

QwRbj7W.jpg

Today, May 11, 2013. Size 18
WL1BPPx.jpg

6XoPprf.jpg

And dead lifting, just to brag about the big plates being on that bar.
nzarXHX.jpg

Thank you to all of the badasses on my FL, you keep me coming back and show me what is possible with time and a whole lot of hard work.

Replies

• _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    You rock!!!! :drinker:

ETA: I'm first, I'm first! Do I get a prize?
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I started out on MFP a year ago, with a significant amount of weight to lose. 15 years of crappy eating, a sedentary lifestyle, and an undiagnosed thyroid disorder had left me at 298 lbs (I’m 5’3” tall). Though I wasn’t unhappy in my life, I knew that I was missing out, and my weight bothered me both physically and emotionally. Once my thyroid was managed, it gave me the push and the energy level to try, yet again, to get myself under control. Though I was fortunate and hadn’t had any major health issues crop up, I knew that at 39 years old, it was only a matter of time. I did not want to leave my husband a widower, or be in the position of him having to care for me, which would be difficult for him to manage if I weighed any where near the 300 lbs that I did at that point.

It shocked me when the weight began to come off once I started tracking my food intake. A couple of weeks in, I started to add in exercise. My fitness level was pathetic, I could maybe walk a couple of blocks (agonizingly slowly) before getting winded. We bought me a recumbent stationary bike. With the resistance set at its lowest setting, I could go for about 5 minutes before I had to take a rest. Gradually, the time in between rests got shorter and my total time increased. Within a couple of months I added in the elliptical, and felt like I was going to keel over after a few minutes. But, I kept pushing. Throughout the summer I went on ever longer hikes, choosing ones with hills to climb. On a lark, I added in running and lifting. I’m not going to lie, running was tough. I did C25K, and wore my HRM just to assure myself that I was not, in fact, on the verge of death after 30 seconds of running.

In the past year, here is what I’ve accomplished: I have lost almost 70 lbs., I went from barely able to walk for more than 3 blocks to trail running for over an hour, I started out in October squatting my bodyweight to squatting 170 lbs and deadlifting 185 lbs. It hasn’t been easy, but it’s been worth it.

To those starting out, my advice to you is to take your time. Don't starve yourself, take a maintenance break now and then (I'm on one right now). Give yourself many areas in which to see success, strength train early. I can tell that when I get down to where I want to be (size wise), I am going to be thrilled with my body and with what it can do. I’ll be able to climb ropes, scale mountains, and run for miles. The adventures that I’m going to be able to go on will be amazing. Just watch me do it.

October 2011, close to 300lbs. Size 28-30
    cmthmRe.jpg

QwRbj7W.jpg

Today, May 11, 2013. Size 18
    WL1BPPx.jpg

6XoPprf.jpg

nzarXHX.jpg

Thank you to all of the badasses on my FL, you keep me coming back and show me what is possible with time and a whole lot of hard work.

Those deadlifts alone make this one of the best success stories out there.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    You rock!!!! :drinker:

ETA: I'm first, I'm first! Do I get a prize?

Yep!! You get Will Smith doing the schmexy dance:

oK0oiXv.gif
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! :flowerforyou:
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    So inspirational! Thanks for sharing!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    So, SO PROUD OF YOU, my friend! All those accomplishments in just a year - imagine what the next year will bring!!
  • judtod
    judtod Posts: 85
    Options
    Fantastic!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...because awesome.

:flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Holy crap woman! I wanna lift like you! And trail running! You are do awesome! I doubt I could even run a mile! You are a definite inspiration!
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Yeah!!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I’ll be able to climb ropes, scale mountains, and run for miles. The adventures that I’m going to be able to go on will be amazing. Just watch me do it.
    Your whole post is awesome but this is my favorite part. :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Love it all, especially this part!
    nzarXHX.jpg

Great work, keep it up!
  • kikilieb
    kikilieb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    AWESOME Job!

I wish you nothing but continued success. You ROCK!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You've done good girl!!! I know you will do even gooder : )
  • JimKutch
    JimKutch Posts: 1
    Options
    Awesome!
  • rosiesmall1
    rosiesmall1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Amazing journey, may you continue on, wishing you nothing but health and happiness! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Wow!!!! Wow!!!!!

I loved reading this. I feel a lot of parallels in your story with mine, so I identified a lot, and I felt inspired. Thank you for that. (Except for that running stuff, I think I will just admire your accomplishments without trying to follow in your footsteps :laugh:) What a great year you have had -- and I am wishing you many many more, each one better than the last!

Elaine
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Amazing, inspiring dedication and results! So awesome!

And excellent, practical advice for those who want to achieve results like this.

Here's to adventures of all sorts!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You are doing SO amazing! Happy anniversary and continued success!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!