Here it is, 1 year on MFP

Options

Replies

• meaningful99
    meaningful99 Posts: 174
    Options
    Congratulations! You have done an amazing job -- so inspirational!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congrats, you are doing great job!
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Well done, keep on the good work :)

X
  • lenac03
    lenac03 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You are amazing. I do believe I want to be your friend.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I’ll be able to climb ropes, scale mountains, and run for miles. The adventures that I’m going to be able to go on will be amazing. Just watch me do it.
    Your whole post is awesome but this is my favorite part. :)

I LOVE me some adventures! The muddier the better :heart: :flowerforyou: I've been eyeing your kayak picture on your ticker forever, it's on my list of fun things to try (now that my butt will fit in one). This summer is going to be filled with backpacking, canoeing, and white water rafting. Next summer I'm backpacking the Grand Canyon.

Thank you all so much for the kind words. I like to pretend like I'm all tough, but they really do mean a lot :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I’ll be able to climb ropes, scale mountains, and run for miles. The adventures that I’m going to be able to go on will be amazing. Just watch me do it.
    Your whole post is awesome but this is my favorite part. :)

Me too.

So much win!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    You are just AWESOME :flowerforyou:
  • sarahsunshine1217
    sarahsunshine1217 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You are incredible!!! Such an amazing life change :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Excellent work dear! So awesome to see your deadlift pic!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    That is so inspiring! Keep up the great work. Fabulous dedication! I applaud you !
  • candacemckenna
    candacemckenna Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thats FANTASTIC!!!...keep up the good work:happy:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I love the weightlifting picture but I think my favorite part is that you are advocating pacing and maintenance breaks. Fantastic!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I think you are awesome !!!!!!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Badass! :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Happy New Year! :drinker:

Congrats on your amazing progress. :flowerforyou:
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Most awesome transformations in all areas of physical and mental. Congratulations on your success. Keep up the good work.
  • Snatched614
    Snatched614 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Inspired... I start my beginners weight class tomorrow and am so excited. Looking forward to pushing my body to its limits!!!!! This for the post.

I started out on MFP a year ago, with a significant amount of weight to lose. 15 years of crappy eating, a sedentary lifestyle, and an undiagnosed thyroid disorder had left me at 298 lbs (I’m 5’3” tall). Though I wasn’t unhappy in my life, I knew that I was missing out, and my weight bothered me both physically and emotionally. Once my thyroid was managed, it gave me the push and the energy level to try, yet again, to get myself under control. Though I was fortunate and hadn’t had any major health issues crop up, I knew that at 39 years old, it was only a matter of time. I did not want to leave my husband a widower, or be in the position of him having to care for me, which would be difficult for him to manage if I weighed any where near the 300 lbs that I did at that point.

It shocked me when the weight began to come off once I started tracking my food intake. A couple of weeks in, I started to add in exercise. My fitness level was pathetic, I could maybe walk a couple of blocks (agonizingly slowly) before getting winded. We bought me a recumbent stationary bike. With the resistance set at its lowest setting, I could go for about 5 minutes before I had to take a rest. Gradually, the time in between rests got shorter and my total time increased. Within a couple of months I added in the elliptical, and felt like I was going to keel over after a few minutes. But, I kept pushing. Throughout the summer I went on ever longer hikes, choosing ones with hills to climb. On a lark, I added in running and lifting. I’m not going to lie, running was tough. I did C25K, and wore my HRM just to assure myself that I was not, in fact, on the verge of death after 30 seconds of running.

In the past year, here is what I’ve accomplished: I have lost almost 70 lbs., I went from barely able to walk for more than 3 blocks to trail running for over an hour, I started out in October squatting my bodyweight to squatting 170 lbs and deadlifting 185 lbs. It hasn’t been easy, but it’s been worth it.

To those starting out, my advice to you is to take your time. Don't starve yourself, take a maintenance break now and then (I'm on one right now). Give yourself many areas in which to see success, strength train early. I can tell that when I get down to where I want to be (size wise), I am going to be thrilled with my body and with what it can do. I’ll be able to climb ropes, scale mountains, and run for miles. The adventures that I’m going to be able to go on will be amazing. Just watch me do it.

October 2011, close to 300lbs. Size 28-30
    cmthmRe.jpg

QwRbj7W.jpg

Today, May 11, 2013. Size 18
    WL1BPPx.jpg

6XoPprf.jpg

And dead lifting, just to brag about the big plates being on that bar.
    nzarXHX.jpg

Thank you to all of the badasses on my FL, you keep me coming back and show me what is possible with time and a whole lot of hard work.
  • sarahlm20
    sarahlm20 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Inspirational! I would love to lift weights but don't know where to begin. Pretty amazing story and good luck with the future, your bloomin' awesome!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Wow, incredible progress! Congrats and happy anniversary!
  • ganyika
    ganyika Posts: 2
    Options
    You're the poster child for how to lose weight and get in shape! Fabulous job! May all your days be joyful and happy!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!