Avocados - what's the deal?

Options
tzipporah
tzipporah Posts: 42 Member
So, I'm a vegetarian, and I LOOOOVE avocados (nature's natural butter ... mmm!). I know that they have fats in them, but I've always heard they are "good fats." Are avocados good for you? Can they become a detriment to your diet?

Thanks for the info in advance...

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    They are very good for you, but as they are high in good fats which means they are high in calories. Remember just because something is good for you does not make it low fat or low cal. So if you are trying to lose weight, you can eat these types of food but will use up a lot of your calories in the process so you may want to limit the portion size.
  • PapaPolarBear
    Options
    true they are high in calories, however these natural good fats actually satisfy you. unlike a candy bar, you eat and you're hungry again in like 10 mins.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    coming from a fellow vegetarian, yes! they are good for you but you probably shouldn't eat a whole one at once (though i understand the craving too! omg i LOVE avocados SO SO much) but a fourth of an avocado? thats fine! (thats how i eat them, a fourth at a time, it still feels like a lot of avocado but not as much calories!) especially as a vegetarian because we don't get all those meat fats, things like avocados are perfect for getting in the fat that you're SUPPOSED to have and not getting in the fat you're not.

(SIDE NOTE: your picture is SOOOO cute!)
  • tzipporah
    tzipporah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @DancingDreamer: hahaha, thank you! i love bunnies as well as avocados... :)

thanks for all the advice, everybody! i shall continue to eat my avocados armed with this knowledge. :)