Protein powder suggestions?

Options
I've been looking to add some protein powder to my morning/after workout smoothie but there are SO MANY options I have no idea which one to choose! From what I can tell they all come in different flavors (probably going to go with chocolate...obviously :) But is there an unflavored option? Also need to go lactose free. The more natural the better, don't most powders have a lot of chemicals mixed in? I'm completely clueless, so any suggestions you have would be very much appreciated! Also, I'm in the Chicago area, does anyone have any tips on where to purchase, other than GNC? Thanks again!

Replies

• ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I use muscletech whey isolate protein.. I get it at Sams club. I get the chocolate and add it in smoothies, oatmeal and i love to put it in plain greek yogurt , its like chocolate pudding.
  • peggymoney
    peggymoney Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Plant fusion, gluten free natural protein powder. They have an unflavored one as well

I buy mine on amazon.com or vitacost.com
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Omega Nutrition Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder. It has no flavor and is beautifully green. It didn't affect the taste of my smoothie at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Nutrition-Pumpkin-Protein-21-Ounce/dp/B004L3VLFK
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...But is there an unflavored option? Also need to go lactose free. The more natural the better, don't most powders have a lot of chemicals mixed in?

Yes, most powders have a bazillion ingredients, mostly related to flavorings, sweeteners and preservatives. I can't have casein (milk protein) so I use a vegan blend with a complete amino acid profile from Sunwarrior. It's a blend of pea, hemp and cranberry proteins. You can also get brown rice protein, but it's not as good in my opinion. I get it in both unflavored and unsweetened, so I have to blend it with almond milk, frozen fruit and stevia to make it not taste totally blah and boring. I like it. I emailed them and they sent me free samples...:drinker:
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I like Carnivor Beef Protein. The chocolate tastes amazing and it's lactose free.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I haven't experimented with too many brands of protein, but I've been using Body Fortress Whey Isolate in vanilla. I just can't hack the regular whey stuff- I'm quite lactose intolerant, too. The whey isolate has almost no lactose at all. It's also not so bland and icky if you just blend it with water, but I like to use low-cal almond milk or water plus a serving of Greek yogurt to make it smoother.

Best of luck!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I like Carnivor Beef Protein. The chocolate tastes amazing and it's lactose free.

I prefer chicken or turkey myself, since I have a digestive disorder and red meat inflames my intestines, but sometimes you just gotta have a shake, man. :flowerforyou:
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I love Nutribiotic organic rice protein vanilla powder...it's vegan. I make a shake with this and raw cocoa powder, berries, kale, amla, ginger and fresh pressed juice ...delicious and super healthy :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Omega Nutrition Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder. It has no flavor and is beautifully green. It didn't affect the taste of my smoothie at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Nutrition-Pumpkin-Protein-21-Ounce/dp/B004L3VLFK

I use this also.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/tietge9.htm

A review of mainstream protein powders. Get whey protein isolate, generally most if not all of the lactose and carbs are filtered out.

A link to understand the different types of protein powder out there: http://sportsnutritioninsider.insidefitnessmag.com/3771/show-me-the-whey-concentrates-vs-isolates-vs-hydrolysates
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've been looking to add some protein powder to my morning/after workout smoothie but there are SO MANY options I have no idea which one to choose! From what I can tell they all come in different flavors (probably going to go with chocolate...obviously :) But is there an unflavored option? Also need to go lactose free. The more natural the better, don't most powders have a lot of chemicals mixed in? I'm completely clueless, so any suggestions you have would be very much appreciated! Also, I'm in the Chicago area, does anyone have any tips on where to purchase, other than GNC? Thanks again!

http://www.kaizenprotein.com/

^ The one I've used for over a year lowest calroie count to grams of protein I could find, tastes AMAZING and no GMO's . You can get it at Costco never seen it sold anywhere else.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options

I'm seconding this. True Nutrition is the only place I know of where you can get the protein powder without any additives. I LOVE that mine is unsweetened and unflavored. I also love that I get to design my own mix of protein sources. It's good stuff. :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    when i got my first container, the guy recommended vanilla because you can make it taste like anything you want. add cocoa and it's chocolate.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I think you just need to do your research.

I use doTERRA Trim shake Vanilla Protein, but that's just me. I used to use GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme. When I did Crossfit I used Progenix.

All just depends on what you are looking for.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of About Time, gluten free, vegan, sweetened with stevia, short ingredient list, etc. I LOVE their chocolate flavor. Right now, I'm drinking birthday cake. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Whey-Protein-Isolate-Birthday-Pounds/dp/B002UTNTAW/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1368410431&sr=1-4&keywords=about+time+protein
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I used a soy based protein powder for almost 2 years and lost maybe 30 lbs with it, but ended up sensitive to soy...after this I discovered that soy can have a neg effect on the thyroid, causing it to NOT produce the hormones necessary...I changed to a completly ALLERGY FREE protein powder...gluten, soy, dairy free...hypo-allergenic and non-GMO....it comes in chocolate but I prefer the vanilla...
    you can mix it with water or milk as you prefer, but either way it tastes great...without the milk, it has 84 cals and 16 gr of protein....it comes in a 2.2 lbs pkg for about $38.00, and is available from Vita-cost...it is called SUNWARRIOR BLEND RAW PROTEIN PLANT BASED complete Amino Acid Profile...I started using this after becoming gluten and soy sensitive....it is very good and I start my day with it...you can add anything you wish to it when you mix it up...but I just like it plain:smile:

oh and NO PRESERVATIVES OR ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS..actually it says ORGANIC STEVIA as the sweetener...
  • jonipaxton
    jonipaxton Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello,

If your in Chicago give Vitamin World a try, they have a wonderful whey isolate (choc, straw & vanilla) that has BCAA's included, it's light & tastes great!

The Vitamin World also has a free membership, great coupons & rebate rewards back each quarter!

Good luck & success to you :happy: !!

Joni
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options

I prefer chicken or turkey myself, since I have a digestive disorder and red meat inflames my intestines, but sometimes you just gotta have a shake, man. :flowerforyou:

Carnivor is a protein shake it's beef isolate. I don't know if it would have the same effect as eating red meat on your intestines. I definitely hear you as far as having a shake. I find it's the quickest, easiest way to get some protein in your anabolic window, if you work out away from home :)