Hummus?

Options
What is it and what does it taste like??

Replies

• Deb77
    Deb77 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hummus is delicious to some people, including me! You can buy it, but here is a recipe:

Two cans of garbanzo beans
    Two whole lemons
    Two cloves of garlic
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 teaspoon cumin
    salt n pepper to taste
    a pinch of cayenne pepper
    for extra tasty, add some sundried tomatoes

Blend until really creamy and smooth in a food processer, and use as a dip for carrots, celery, or pita bread (I don't do the bread).
    It's all kind of to taste, but the trick is to get it lemony and delish. If you like bean dips, you should like hummus! Good luck!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    deliciousness!!! there is all kinds of flavors and it goes with sandwiches, veggies, pita chips. yummyy
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I can desribe how it tastes because it has it's own taste. Basic hummus is usually a mixture of chick peas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper. It can come in many other flavors though. I love hummus but have found a few brands that I don't particularly love so if you try one brand and don't think it's that great, give another brand a try. Or better yet, make your own.
  • bikker59
    bikker59 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hummus is a middle-eastern food composed of chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, and tahini, a paste similar in texture to peanut butter that is made from sesame seeds. Hummus is typically eaten with pita or other flat bread.

I happen to love it now, but it took me a while...and it is not as smooth as peanut butter. I love garlic, so Garlic Lovers is the only one I ear...give it is a try...it is good for you. I use baby carrots with my hummus too, cause if you eat to much pita bread, that is not always a good thing... :o)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    it's so good. you should eat it all the time. every day! hahah!

i like it with carrots and celery.

one of our most favorite summertime brunches is a middle eastern spread:

hummus (of course)
    tomatoes
    artichoke hearts
    carrots
    celery
    fresh pita
    falafel
    tziziki
    cucumber wedges
    lemonade
    olives of all sorts
    plenty of garlic
    parsley salad (tabouli)

we have even had parties centered around the meal asking people to bring their versions of tabouli or sauces, falafels, etc.

i usually make everything from scratch. takes all day for everything, but worth every delicious bite.
  • beutiful5678
    beutiful5678 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your recipe! I love the stuff!
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i LOVE hummus. id definately recommend buying some in the store first..they have so many different flavors. and get some pita chips to go with it!
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I love Hummus so had to put my 2 cents in!
    The best and creamiest brand I've found is Sabra - great variety of flavors and my personal fav is the one w/ the roasted pine nuts - just delish!!
    Have it w/ multigrain crackers , celery , carrots or if you're feeling adventurous bbaked scoops and salsa -it's better than sour cream for all you nacho lovers out there !! :love:

have an outstanding day,
    janet:heart:
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I love Hummus so had to put my 2 cents in!
    The best and creamiest brand I've found is Sabra - great variety of flavors and my personal fav is the one w/ the roasted pine nuts - just delish!!
    Have it w/ multigrain crackers , celery , carrots or if you're feeling adventurous bbaked scoops and salsa -it's better than sour cream for all you nacho lovers out there !! :love:

have an outstanding day,
    janet:heart:
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I love Tribe Roasted Sweet Pepper, I put it on sliced Zucchini, baked pita chips, toasted deli things, wheat thins, carrots. Its really yummy and filling.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hummus is great. If you've been thinking of trying it you should. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. I've only found one brand so far that I didn't like and that's Mediterranean Brand. I get mine from Costco so I get what they have. I have yet to make my own but that's coming soon.
  • Deb77
    Deb77 Posts: 6
    Options
    ...so glad so many of you weighed in on hummus! Also, I noticed that I indeed left the tahini out of my recipe. It's really what lends it the creamy / almost pasty texture. Also, I think Sabra is delish as well, but here's a little tip to take the calories out of it: take Sabra (or whatever spendy hummus you like) and mix it with your OWN. That way, you can 1. avoid adding more oil, but the Sabra or etc. will have plenty, believe me 2. Keep the flavor, but cut the calories So, just add another can of garbanzos and a little more of what YOU like to the spendy (and calorie-heavy commercial hummus). You will also save a little money, and hey, that's great. A personal note: I love adding more lemon, and that's not adding a thing.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i just made a HUGE batch of hummus lastnight. so delicious. picking tomatoes & cukes tonight so we can have mediterranean night at the house. feta's on, yo's!
  • greenteadaily
    Options
    I just did a search on Hummus to get ideas for other uses for it. I am newly addicted. I bought some pita chips for it, but unfortunately they're too high calorie to get again. I'm going to switch to having it with 'better' crackers, celery and other raw veggies.

I was also thinking of using it as a sandwich/wrap spread. I bought the quartet of flavors from Trader Joe's and the tomato one is okay, but doesn't thrill me. I'm thinking of using it for the moisture part of a turkey wrap for lunch. Thoughts?

I like the spicy variety the best. Mmmm.