How do you cream your coffee?

I don't miss a lot of the things I've given up to become healthy, but man, I sure do miss my creamy and sweet coffee. I was shocked when I realized I was consuming 500 calories a day just in coffee creamers and sugar (I have a few cups every day).. I am not a "black" coffee drinker. I like a coffee taste, but super creamy. I am willing to sacrifice the sweetness, but does anyone have any recommendations for some low calorie ways to add some delicious creamy-ness to coffee??

Replies

• Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    sugar-free syrup, keep it to 1tbs
    try not to load up on sugar
    switch to a no-calorie sweetener like stevia (inb4 cancer & death - no proof of this claim)
    make it fit your macros
  • 4shani
    4shani Posts: 6 Member
    I switched to half and half now (also a reformed flavored coffee creamer girl!). Just 1/2 serving size (1 tbsp=20 cal and 2g fat). Its all natural ingredients, only milk and cream. Also, I've heard of folks using heavy whipping cream (don't know the breakdown on that). Really you are sacrificing the calories for something much more natural and without crazy chemicals but you do need less because it makes it far more creamy than the flavored creamer. I also use one packet of sugar in the raw just for a touch of sweetness (20 cal). Your taste buds do adjust to less sugar.

I will say this, I limit myself to one thing of coffee a day, in the morning. Its actually two since its a 16oz cup. I switch to an oolong/mate blend tea if I need a caffeine boost the rest of the day. Its cinnamon/spicy so doesn't really need extra sugar. Otherwise, just water (I'd rather not drink my calories...:laugh: ).

Hope this helps...I'd be interested in seeing what others recommend.
  • Peg_M
    Peg_M Posts: 34
    I use stevia and Kroger sugar free French vanilla creamer only 15 cal a Tbs
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    I use the hazelnut sugar free coffee mate creamer in my coffee and I'm fine with the artificial sweetener it uses.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    i dont i drink it black - 2 caleries
  • vashnic
    vashnic Posts: 93
    Creaminess, for the most part, comes from high-fat dairy. :) Switch out creamers (usually high in both fat and sugar for flavor) for half and half or just whole milk and you should come out on top.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    I use about 2 tbs half and half. and 2 tsp sugar.

If I buy really good coffee, I find that I need less additives. I like Godiva turtle coffee.
  • csmith822
    csmith822 Posts: 46 Member
    I use stevia and Kroger sugar free French vanilla creamer only 15 cal a Tbs

Me, too!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Coffee is just something I refuse to give up.

I use half and half and equal. I am slowly phasing in some low fat half and half, which is starting to taste normal.

I also just accept that I will have a certain number of calories from coffee per day, and work around it. Once again, I will not give up my coffee.
  • jkbear40
    jkbear40 Posts: 37 Member
    One Truvia packet and a serving of Natural Bliss sweet Cream coffee creamer. 70 calories. I only have one cup a day so it's not bad for me. Land O' Lakes had a FF half and half that was good. Not sure what store carries it though.
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    I dedicate a meal to coffee if I have to.
    Half and Half is good, they even have reduced fat half and half.
    I mostly use milk and half and half because I'm poor and creamer is like three something a bottle.

Sometimes you've just got to readjust your taste buds.

EDIT: that fake sugar is so bad in coffee, IMNSHO.
  • rmontpetit
    rmontpetit Posts: 31 Member
    I think you juste need to slowly get use to change your coffe....when i started to drink coffe it was 3 cream. than 2....than 1 cream 1 milk.... 3 milk ...... 2 milk and now it is 1 milk..... and i found that the type of coffe also change the way i take it. try many kind grownd many different size... you will fin one that fit you better. less i like the "natural" teast of one king more i put stuff in it
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Vanilla Premier Protein (Sams club) drink and your fav sweetener....1/2 a carton is 80 calories and 15 gr protein. Breakfast and yummy coffee. You could add more vanilla, some cinnamon or other flavors...
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    I use low fat half and half from Trader Joe's. The regular is only 20 calories for 2 tablespoons. They have a vanilla one too that is 50 calories. I like the natural creamers much more than the fake stuff. And I will never give up my coffee!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,732 Member
    I used to use LOTS of cream in my coffee, but I've learned to drink it black. It helps to start by drinking your black coffee with something sweet like a cookie. :tongue:
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    I posted about my quest to find a healthier replacement for coffee creamer, and my happy discovery here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943005-luxurious-coffee-creamer-alternative

Since then, I've perfected it, for my tastes. I mix three scoops of Tera'sWhey Grass-Fed Organic whey in with about a 1/4 cup of 30 cal. per serving, non-sweetened almond milk. I toss them in a Magic Bullet, which is the perfect size and gives me a smooth cream. Then I add it to my 16 oz cup and fill the rest up with coffee and add a bit of raw honey mixed with baking cocoa. That tastes amazing and then, a couple of days ago, I got the idea to add a teaspoon of coconut oil to the mix too. Oh, that just made it even better and more luxurious tasting.
    My 1 16 oz morning coffee now gives me 34g of protein and tastes amazing. :)
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Land O'Lakes Mini-Moos Half and Half. You find them in the coffee aisle - they come in boxes of 24 for about $2.50. I find that 2 get my coffee REALLY creamy and they're only 10 calories apiece.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    You dirty, dirty people...
  • jtangcs
    jtangcs Posts: 37 Member
    I've been using International Delight as I find that the flavored creamer is good enough that I don't need much sugar. And the calories per serving is not horrible. I typically try to buy the fat free and/or sugar free ones. Clearly there are more calories than going black... but I'm with you, can't do it.
  • LindsNW05
    LindsNW05 Posts: 36 Member
    I started using full fat half n half and raw sugar to my coffee, but then i started weaning off the sugar altogether, sometimes I use sugar free vanilla or hazelnut syrups, and sometimes Stevia. This morning I drank a cup with just half and half and i realized I also like it that way. Try to find out what you like that best, coffee is way too good to stop drinking, so fit it in to your life.