Aaahh!! My daughter wants a thigh gap!!!

Options

Replies

• boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Get her involved in something meaningful...go with her to a homeless shelter to serve soup, have her work on a habitat house, let her spend some time at an animal shelter or helping the elderly...she obviously needs to find something bigger than herself to focus on.
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    so much hate and stupidity in this thread. You are concerned about this kids body image, yet you are all hating on women who naturally have thigh gap. Such hypocrites.

oh and women can have thick legs and a big butt and still have thigh gap btw.
  • marciakate
    marciakate Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am built a bit like your daughter whereby all over she's thin and "normal" (not fat at all) yet her legs are chunkier? I was worried about this for a couple of early years in high school till one day I realized that my legs were bigger because they were muscly. So I used them. I ran a lot and at school athletics carnivals, I trained and won all my running races :-D.

U'll probably find that a lot of the girls with thigh gaps are all skin and bone on the legs, an not much muscle at all. Tell her she's been born that way, and there's a reason why her legs are like they are.
  • runlikeananna
    runlikeananna Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Running will get you a thigh gap. If you can get her out running that will keep her out of trouble. :)
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am built a bit like your daughter whereby all over she's thin and "normal" (not fat at all) yet her legs are chunkier? I was worried about this for a couple of early years in high school till one day I realized that my legs were bigger because they were muscly. So I used them. I ran a lot and at school athletics carnivals, I trained and won all my running races :-D.

U'll probably find that a lot of the girls with thigh gaps are all skin and bone on the legs, an not much muscle at all. Tell her she's been born that way, and there's a reason why her legs are like they are.

wrong! I have 21.5 inch thighs and still have thigh gap. at my heaviest, i probably had 24 inch thighs and still had thigh gap. it is very possible with big thighs.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have a thigh gap, its filled to the brim with my bawls. hahahahahahaa.

my bad. I had to.

you win.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school, thigh gaps were considered a sign of promiscuity...at least the way the guys saw it. While I'd definitely like to not have my thighs chafe in the summertime, a "gap" has never been something to aspire to in my book. Now, outwardly curvaceous quads, with an incurving lower thigh is totally hot in my opinion. I'd love to have my legs get back to that....and if my thighs don't rub as much, great...gap not needed.
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Well, there could be worse fads she's into. And yep, even I can get a gap between my thunder thighs when I stand like a constipated duck.

Ha ha ha, love this! Thank for the laugh!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    In a world of only thigh gaps, this would not exist.

fcca19a6-bc8c-4e83-a63d-d3a23c277fad_zps7f2ab1d4.jpg

That world would suck.
  • Vdoll1981
    Vdoll1981 Posts: 11
    Options
    omg that is pretty much the grossest site i've ever seen! i'm obviously not healthy, but i would rather have my rubbing together legs than chopsticks to teeter around on.

it works for some women, like pretty much everyone else has already said, because of body type, etc. and a little gap is one thing, but where your thighs are 5 inches apart? ugh. a majority of those on that site? sick, waaaay too thin, no more than skeletons, really.

show your daughter some pics of someone like robyn lawley, an australian supermodel, who has legs that touch. she's gorgeous and i bet more men would want some of that than a woman with a big ol' gap.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    so much hate and stupidity in this thread. You are concerned about this kids body image, yet you are all hating on women who naturally have thigh gap. Such hypocrites.

oh and women can have thick legs and a big butt and still have thigh gap btw.
    So true. Like you said you do not have to be stick thin to have a thigh gap. Point and case the image posted prior I'm this thread ;) its genetics. I have a thigh gap at all sizes as well, its just bigger with less weight. Its also sort of shaming to women to assume they must be sticks to have thigh gaps... we are all different love your body type.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When you talk to your teenager, she acts like she is not listening to you, but she does hear you. And when she is thinking things through, she does have your voice in her head. She places more value on what you say than you know. And when she is going through a tough time and she can see that her peers are wrong, and she wants to listen to her own inner wisdom, she will remember the things that you have said. Don't be pushy. Just tell her and be loving. She hears you, even though it seems like she doesn't. She will outgrow this.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm not skinny at all, yet I have a thigh gap - wanna know what else I have? Bow legs.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Here's another great pic and expiation on how to fake it: http://thriftdee.com/2013/03/the-thigh-gap/
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    90% of the thigh gap pictures she's looking at will be the faked pose kind as described before.

The rest is genetic. I'm not exactly a skinny teen girl and I have one, lol.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I'm not skinny at all, yet I have a thigh gap - wanna know what else I have? Bow legs.

sexy legs
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    What the heck is a thigh gap? I have been reading about this a lot. My thighs never met so I dont get it. And also doesnt it depend on the bone structure of your legs? So confusing!!!

Lots of pics of "thigh gaps" so you understand...
    http://****yeahthighgap.tumblr.com/

A lot of those girls looks dangerously thin and sickly. But notice how you can't see the lower half of their legs? Probably because they would be standing funny
  • ThoseLittleCats
    Options
    What the heck is a thigh gap? I have been reading about this a lot. My thighs never met so I dont get it. And also doesnt it depend on the bone structure of your legs? So confusing!!!

Lots of pics of "thigh gaps" so you understand...
    http://****yeahthighgap.tumblr.com/
    u can tell a lot of those girls are stickin there buttz out to make tha gap
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    So, if you're not a gapper, you're a flapper?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    This isnt very politically correct, but I've never been one to be PC. If it was my kid I'd say sure you need a thigh gap. I've seen lots of pictures of people with thigh gaps then I would proceed to show her pictures of starvation and concentration camp victims. I'd probably also make a big stink that women's bodies all come in different forms and this stupid media hype is unrealistic. Show pictures of how thigh gaps are photoshopped.