Options
124»

Replies

• Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    U NEED TO BEING DOING CARDIO EVRYDAY THATS WHAT MAKES U LOSE WEIGHT
    LIFTING IS STRENGTH TRAINING AND DOESNT HELP U LOSE WEIGHT ONLY TONES
    I HAVE LOST 10 PERCENT OF MY BODY WEIGHT - IT TOOK FOR MONTHS- 60 MINUTES OF CARDIO A DAY AND 1800 CALORIESS OR LESS....... STICK TO THE CALORIES THAT U ARE SUPPOSED TO

Actually the more lifting you do, the more muscle, meaning a better burn all day cus you burn more calories with more muscle. My body fat is now 20.8 from my heaviest 35% but it went down in two months of weight lifting from 22.5 to 20.8% :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Wait, we're using steroid users to produce guidelines for non steroid users to follow as a nutrition and make building plan? You've got to be trolling here, right? You do realize that when PEDS get involved, you might as well be providing data from aliens, right? Everything changes. EVERYTHING.

The point is about protein intake and muscle building. You can "build" 14lbs of muscle with 120g of protein. I think they gained 14lbs of LBM if i remember correctly. That's the point of the entire study. Yes steroids alter the hormones, I don't deny that, but that's not the point.

A person can gain 14lbs of muscle with 120g of protein. That's the point. You don't need 'MORE" protein. It won't produce "greater" muscle building. 120g of plenty of protein for an avid lifter who doesn't juice.

A metaphor, the claims are you need 1000 bricks to build a house. Lets say there is a machine(advantage aka steroids) that can build a house, and a man who can build a house.

You give them both 500 bricks(below the recommended amount) they don't have enough bricks to build a house. Yet they both build a house and the machine builds a bigger better house... What does that say about the recommendation for bricks?
    This means it's not really about bricks so much.

bricks = grams of protein
    machine = steroids
    1000 bricks = protein recommendations.

Also Bear Sears PhD in biochemistry who has produced many gold medal olympic winners(I think 25), recommends 1g of protein per lbm MAX. People here recommend 1g of protein per lbm as the MINIMUM.

if you don't realized that steroids change the entire equation between muscle building, nutritional intake, training, and rest, you should probably stop talking now.

ps. i'd stop posting pics of that vegetarian lifter who is using steroids as well.

Vegan sterioids, of course.

Edit: because plural, not singular steroid.
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • EIEIElenaO
    EIEIElenaO Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have responded here, and I enjoyed reading the thread yesterday.

Today, my gym's online newsletter had an article on the subject.

So for what it's worth, here's one more collection of ideas:

http://www.lifetime-weightloss.com/blog/2012/3/17/6-reasons-youre-not-losing-body-fat.html
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Claims about the merits or risks of carbohydrate (CHO) vs. protein for weight loss diets are extensive, yet the ideal ratio of dietary carbohydrate to protein for adult health and weight management remains unknown. This study examined the efficacy of two weight loss diets with modified CHO/protein ratios to change body composition and blood lipids in adult women. Women (n = 24; 45 to 56 y old) with body mass indices >26 kg/m2 were assigned to either a CHO Group consuming a diet with a CHO/protein ratio of 3.5 (68 g protein/d) or a Protein Group with a ratio of 1.4 (125 g protein/d). Diets were isoenergetic, providing 7100 kJ/d, and similar amounts of fat (∼50 g/d). After consuming the diets for 10 wk, the CHO Group lost 6.96 ± 1.36 kg body weight and the Protein Group lost 7.53 ± 1.44 kg. Weight loss in the Protein Group was partitioned to a significantly higher loss of fat/lean (6.3 ± 1.2 g/g) compared with the CHO Group (3.8 ± 0.9). Both groups had significant reductions in serum cholesterol (∼10%), whereas the Protein Group also had significant reductions in triacylglycerols (TAG) (21%) and the ratio of TAG/HDL cholesterol (23%). Women in the CHO Group had higher insulin responses to meals and postprandial hypoglycemia, whereas women in the Protein Group reported greater satiety. This study demonstrates that increasing the proportion of protein to carbohydrate in the diet of adult women has positive effects on body composition, blood lipids, glucose homeostasis and satiety during weight loss.

You do realize that the lack of carbs in a diet will limit water retention? How does that effect body fat measurements? It will appear to low body fat which isn't correct

You have it exactly backward. H20 is fat-free mass, so water retention should tilt the scales in favor of the CHO group as far as FFM retention is concerned. So if the PRO group lost more water, then the ratio of fat/muscle loss is EVEN BETTER.

Yes you're right, Who said anything about "mass" we're talking about body fat %. pinch your skin, the more water your holding the thicker it would be which makes water retention effect body fat measurements. [/quote]

Do you even understand how bodyfat % is calculated? What do you think fat-free mass is?

If you even bothered to read the study then you would know that they used DEXA, NOT calipers.
    Hilarious, of the numerous references, you pick out a single one and claim that makes the entire paper irrelevant, yet you point to renal patients and steroid studies as valid support for you (aka Pilon's) ridiculous claims.
    I picked the study that was actually on topic about LBM, and obviously it made the entire paper posted irreverent since it wasn't on subject.

No, you cherry picked a single study out of several that were on topic about LBM. And if you're going to dismiss it as irrelevant because it doesn't apply to the general population, then nor are your steroid study and renal patient study.

The steroid study i already mentioned the point. Once again, it shows you can put on mass with little protein, if protein was so important you wouldn't be able to put on 14lbs of LBM in a month. 120g of protein is enough to put on 14lbs of LBM in a month. That's the point.

Did you even read your study? It was 10 weeks.

And given that it's quite common for a steroid user to put on well over 20lbs in their first cycle, you probably would've seen better results if they increased their intake. Since they all had the same intake, you're making a huge leap to assume that increasing protein wouldn't have improved their gains.

But, as has been pointed out several times, steroids change everything.
    The point of the renal study i think those guys ate like 50g of protein and still put on 5lbs of LBM in a month which is typical gains for someone consuming more protein.

Wrong again. Nowhere in that study did they state how much LBM was gained. They measured the cross-sectional area of the thigh, and the standard deviation was HUGE.

The change was as follows:

Weight training (n=12) Mean: 2.36 SD: 8.35

Control (n=14): Mean -2.54 SD: 6.15

Since they did not provide raw data, the following comes from the probability distribution (Stats 101 for the folks at home).

Of the weight training group, 39% of them lost muscle.

Of the control group, 34% of them gained muscle.

21% of the control group gained more than the average member of the weight training group.

28% of the weight training group lost more than the average member of the control group.

Now lets go to experience... do you have any "experience" in this? Have you actually ever lowered your protein and watched the results? I was averaging 60g of protein a day and you know what happened in 1 month? I gained 1lbs while on a calorie deficit. That falls within the % error so I say i gained no LBM, which just states I maintained my LBM with an average of about 60g a day.

Astounding. N=1 with what are probably **** measurements.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Pu,
    I'd have to say part of your ultimate conclusion (that muscles are mostly fluid) is somewhat right, but still an overgeneralization. This is especially true because you were referencing creatine v placebo. Especially in that context you would see a difference in muscle volume BUT it's from the creatine. Again you were also correct when you referenced glycogen levels, and some fluid variations there. Those doing keto often have some "flatter" looking muscles for this reason. Their actually muscle mass hasn't changed, but the muscle volume is smaller/depleted due glycogen being diminished.

Pre-contest most buildbuilder cut out carbs for a while, and then carb load before going on stage. They inherently don't lose muscle mass, but it changes the way they look. People don't lose muscle mass from dehydration, although they would lose volume.
  • Brandwil
    Brandwil Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi,
    I take the liberty of joining the conversation because I wanna lose weight and body fat percentage. I tried any programs but either I regained weight or I didn't lose. Please, could you give me some advices? I would like find the solution.
    Thanks a lot.
  • jane_j
    jane_j Posts: 8
    Options
    I naughtily used Clen.
  • janey2607
    janey2607 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Weights + HIIT + Clean Eating + water. Protein should be at 1g per 1lb bodyweight. Don't be afraid of good fats!!!
  • FlowersInTheDirt
    FlowersInTheDirt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Increase cardio but stick with the strength training to help tone and shape :)
  • Angelikajohnston
    Options
    At the present age, every person wants to remain healthy and fit. He is looking for various activities and following certain routines that are required for living a healthy life.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I HAVE LOST 10 PERCENT OF MY BODY WEIGHT - IT TOOK FOR MONTHS- 60 MINUTES OF CARDIO A DAY AND 1800 CALORIESS OR LESS....... STICK TO THE CALORIES THAT U ARE SUPPOSED TO

I hear lifting helps with fat burning. Which helps with lowering of body fat. Oh....why are you screaming?
  • bcorbin34
    bcorbin34 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree to uping the cardio, that will help some. However the weight lifting is important more mucsle burns more calories in the long wrong. So keep that up. If you do weights at the gym, see if they have a trainer that could give you pointers, cause if your not increasing weights or reps then it wont do much to change your mucles mass.

Can also try using protein shakes after your weight training they make some pretty yummy flavors and there are some good benefits to working that into your diet.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

FIRST YOU ARE YELLING! SECOND WHEN YOU YELL ATLEAST BE RIGHT.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eat less than daily calorie requirement needs = weight loss

fat loss = weight loss

missing a large part here
    Weight loss = fat and lean body mass loss

To limit the amount of lean body mass lost, you need adequate protein intake, take part in a heavy lifting program, and have a relatively small caloric deficit. OP, where you don't have much to lose I would change to TDEE - 10-15%.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

please just STAHP....please.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options

Aside from the yelling, ignore the ho-science.

Keep lifting. If you can, lift more weight, stick to compound moves.

The way to lose weight is less calories in than calories out.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • Brandwil
    Brandwil Posts: 9
    Options
    In your opinion, how long should a weight loss program?