Joined a gym!

Options
aero0811
aero0811 Posts: 30 Member
I’ve joined a local gym and have been going for a week now. So far we have just gone swimming 5 days a week for at least an hour if not just over but I am planning on adding in a few days of gym work as well from this week. Along with changing our diet and having a cheat day once a week, I’m hoping to lose as close to 13 - 20 lbs before 15th July, day before holiday!

I’m not very good on the treadmill. I want something that I can put all my effort into whereas on the treadmill after about 20 mins I’m done. We had a look around and the gym looks good to me, very quiet but the weights section is full of big weight lifting me :| put me off a bit as I’m VERY self-conscious but I know I need to do some sort of weight training to help build muscles, right?

Basically, what I’m asking is along with my 60 minute swims (either twice or three times a week) what would you recommend I do/ use in the gym?

Thanks

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Find someone to help you learn the form of the compound lifts and get into the weight room. Weights + cardio + moderate deficit = perfect combination for weight loss and lean muscle retention giving you a much better body than cardio + diet only.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Find someone to help you learn the form of the compound lifts and get into the weight room. Weights + cardio + moderate deficit = perfect combination for weight loss and lean muscle retention giving you a much better body than cardio + diet only.

This.

Conquer your fear of the guys lifting weights and get in there! Lifting weights is the way to actually change the appearance of your body for the better.
  • aero0811
    Options
    Ok thanks, will give it a try later today. Boyfriend knows gyms pretty well so will ask him to show me round quickly. Would you say 3 days swimming 2 days gym or 2 days swimming and 3 days gym? 1 session would be just weights I reckon
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Two days of lifting is good, three is better.

Recommended beginner's programs:

Stronglifts 5 x 5 (all online and FREE, there is also an app)
    New Rules of Lifting for Women (you'll see it referred to as NROLFW)

There are MFP groups with women working their way through these programs, so you'd have lots of support and such if you chose either of those two.

Starting Strength is a great book/program as well (Mark Rippetoe is the author)
  • aero0811
    Options
    That's great thank you, will have a look at them now. Read a few posts on those programs and good to see my first worry of getting bulky muscles has been ruled out!