Cysts and Illnesses

Options
2»

Replies

• dwendling63
    dwendling63 Posts: 34
    Options
    I too am dealing with a cyst issue. I am under a doctors care, who is monitoring the growth of it. Last ultrasound 5 weeks ago it is a 8mm ball on my left side. In three months we are measuring it again to see if it is growing or stable in growth. My cyst was discovered when I had an emergency appendix surgery. During the time of my er visit it was found on ultrasound, but due to the appendix rupturing the cyst was the least of our worries. Following the operation / 10 days into healing my lower intestines became infected and my incision was re-opened to heal and drain. I had a long recovery. Then 6 months later my gallbladder died! Surgery #2. More abdominal / tummy trama drama ... At fifty years of age I am not healing and bouncing back like I use to. My hormones are off the chain. Mood swings, weight gain, depression..heck I have a hot flash then a flash back of the hot flash I just had! I am a mess! I have 50 lbs to loose my insulin level was high when my blood work was done 5 weeks ago and so was my cholesterol. I have been prescribed lipitor and my thyroid meds were increased to help my body work with me better on the weight issue. She also placed me on anti-depressants. My health is causing me great stress, emotional and physical problems. I even get mad at my own behavior and sensitivity...no telling what it is doing to others in my life. I am normally the cheerleader of the group and not used to relying on others for emo support....sending out an S.O.S Any takers...:flowerforyou:
  • dwendling63
    dwendling63 Posts: 34
    Options
    I am experiencing the cyst issue myself. After reading many of the responses you have been sent, you have a knowledgeable support system going. I wish you all the best and hope you are soon on your way to a quick recovery. Sincerely~ Robin
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    PS: so far, it seems like everyone is kind of thinking my weight gain is associated with the cysts and possible insulin tolerance issues. That's not the case. I had the cyst removed and went back to a normal life until I developed PTSD from a traumatic incident. I started having major anxiety episodes, so they put me on Paxil. My weight gain is directly proportional to how much paxil I took. When I doubled it, I gained 30 pounds in three weeks. I also have some problems because they gave me a steroid shot that more or less backfired. So I had a bad cushing's-like reaction. I do have to be careful with steroids, but they still don't make my BS over 170, which is acceptable on the treatment.

This was why I felt I had to say that ovarian cysts do not equal PCOS- the results you describe from your tests would suggest you don't have PCOS so you really shouldn't worry about it.

I don't really know much about the medication you feel is responsible, so I can't comment, but one thing I would suggest is that you might like to consider counselling for your PTSD. Any anti-depressants/anti-anxiety medication is for the physical illnesses associated with the problems, and it is important to have those symptoms under control before you look at counselling, but medications are unlikely to help you deal with the cause.

Your doctor should be able to recommend accredited counsellors in your area.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I have really bad thyroid issues and have been in a wheelchair with a shattered ankle since last August. Other metabolic issues too.

Calorie counting using the values mfp calculated has worked for me, as my ticker can testify! I try to eat just under the calorie target but have had days where I go over it....it's a marathon, not a sprint!

Lcfairbairn:

Hang in there.
    I too shattered my ankle 30 months ago. I was in a wheelchair for 5 months and I had to learn how to walk again. I finally stopped using a cane after 24 months. I am in the process of getting rid of the weight I accumulated while recovering. You can do it.
    MFP has been tremendous help for me. I am logging every day. Exercising 6 days a week has also been important.
    Good luck in your journey.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have really bad thyroid issues and have been in a wheelchair with a shattered ankle since last August. Other metabolic issues too.

Calorie counting using the values mfp calculated has worked for me, as my ticker can testify! I try to eat just under the calorie target but have had days where I go over it....it's a marathon, not a sprint!

Lcfairbairn:

Hang in there.
    I too shattered my ankle 30 months ago. I was in a wheelchair for 5 months and I had to learn how to walk again. I finally stopped using a cane after 24 months. I am in the process of getting rid of the weight I accumulated while recovering. You can do it.
    MFP has been tremendous help for me. I am logging every day. Exercising 6 days a week has also been important.
    Good luck in your journey.

Thank you! It's nice to hear from somebody who has got through this!
    Luckily, I started mfp directly after surgery otherwise I know I would have put on even more weight too.
    Exercise is mostly on hold at the moment (partly leg, partly a pituitary disorder) but I am sticking to my calorie target as best I can.
    Lovely to hear you are fully back on your feet again :drinker:
  • catrinadaniels
    Options
    PS: so far, it seems like everyone is kind of thinking my weight gain is associated with the cysts and possible insulin tolerance issues. That's not the case. I had the cyst removed and went back to a normal life until I developed PTSD from a traumatic incident. I started having major anxiety episodes, so they put me on Paxil. My weight gain is directly proportional to how much paxil I took. When I doubled it, I gained 30 pounds in three weeks. I also have some problems because they gave me a steroid shot that more or less backfired. So I had a bad cushing's-like reaction. I do have to be careful with steroids, but they still don't make my BS over 170, which is acceptable on the treatment.

This was why I felt I had to say that ovarian cysts do not equal PCOS- the results you describe from your tests would suggest you don't have PCOS so you really shouldn't worry about it.

I don't really know much about the medication you feel is responsible, so I can't comment, but one thing I would suggest is that you might like to consider counselling for your PTSD. Any anti-depressants/anti-anxiety medication is for the physical illnesses associated with the problems, and it is important to have those symptoms under control before you look at counselling, but medications are unlikely to help you deal with the cause.

Your doctor should be able to recommend accredited counsellors in your area.

I changed a lot of things and have been doing better, but I think the meds at this point make me feel worse, you know? The weight certainly didn't help my self-image either, which I was perfect happy with before.

The med I was on is very well known the the world of weight gain. I switched over to celexa and noticed a big difference and have been around the same weight since I started (give or take ten pounds).
  • catrinadaniels
    Options
    Just an FYI

I went to have an ultrasound this morning. No cyst issues :) One viable eggy, but didn't need that one anyway .

She did ask if I had endometriosis, but everything looked normal.

So going to vote no on PCOS.